V792 - Prosecution of False and Malicious Allegations of Rape (Second Reading) Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (26)
63.41%
On the contrary, No (9)
21.95%
Abstain (6)
14.63%
This discussion is closed.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
V792 - Prosecution of False and Malicious Allegations of Rape (Second Reading), TSR Conservative Party

PROSECUTION OF FALSE AND MALICIOUS ALLEGATIONS OF RAPE BILL 2015
A Bill to make provision for the prosecution of false and malicious allegations of rape.
BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. DEFINITIONS
(1) 'Rape' shall be as defined in 1(1) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
(2) 'Malicious intent' shall refer to an accusation made to deliberately damage, defame or criminalise a former defendant for personal gain or satisfaction.

2. PROSECUTING FALSE ACCUSATIONS OF RAPE
(1) If it is seen that a complainant has made a false accusation against the defendant in a preceding rape trial, during which the defendant was found to be not guilty, with deliberate malicious intent, it shall be the duty of the Crown Prosecution Service to open a new trial.
(2) The ruling upon whether 'prosecution with malicious intent' has been committed shall be subject to the discretion of the judiciary.
(3) If the complainant of the former case is found to be guilty of such an offence against the former defendant, they shall be subject to;
(4) Custody not exceeding four years and a fine greater than £5,000, but not exceeding £10,000.
(5) Any appeals to prosecutions upon this ground are subject to the usual appeals process, in accordance with the Appeal Act 1968.

3. COMMENCEMENT, SHORT TITLE AND EXTENT.
(1) This Act may be cited as the False Accusations of Rape Bill 2015.
(2) This Act shall extend to the entire United Kingdom; and
(3) Shall come into force immediately following Royal Assent.

Notes
Spoiler:
Show

Whilst Hon. Members have argued that Britain is experiencing a 'rape culture', that does not only refer to committing the crime. Previous false accusations of rape were charged under 'wasting police time' or 'contempt of court' , making the guidelines by which offenders are prosecuted to be hazy at best. This Bill will clarify the position of the judiciary for prosecuting these offences.

Changes for Second Reading
Spoiler:
Show

2(1) Has been amended so that the judiciary has no role in opening a new trial, it is instead the responsibility of the CPS
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thehistorybore)
.......are you ready kids?
StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Let's keep it as a large fine rather than a large fine as well as a relatively long prison sentence.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
nay, people will be scared to come forward.
jenhasdreams
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay, rape is already massively under reported as people (not just women) are scared to come forward, I would not want this already low conviction rate to decrease.

Why should lying about this be treated any differently to any other act of perjury?
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
.......are you ready kids?
Aye aye Captain!
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye aye Captain!
I can't hear you!
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by unown uzer)
i can't hear you!
aye aye captain!
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
aye aye captain!
Oooooooooooooooo
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by that bearded man)
oooooooooooooooo
who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are serious negative consequences here that I think a lot of right honourable members have forgotten in their zeal to punish the guilty.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
cranbrook_aspie tmpearce99
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ayes to the right: 26
Noes to the left: 9
Abstain: 6

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it. Unlock.

Turnout: 82%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (519)
59.93%
Yes- I don't like it (44)
5.08%
No- I want it (244)
28.18%
No- I don't want it (59)
6.81%

Watched Threads

Latest