Why don't anti-gay marriage people make the same fuss about divorce?

Watch
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Divorce is definitely prohibited in the Bible, and Jesus Christ himself spoke out about it. Yet, divorce has been allowed for decades now and the number of people getting divorced is growing, and no doubt much higher than the number of gay couples marrying.

So why don't we see the same passion and call for divorce to be abolished?
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because that doesn't suit them. They might want to get divorced one day but they definitely don't want to gay marry so divorce = OK, gay marriage = not OK
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
(Original post by driftawaay)
Because that doesn't suit them. They might want to get divorced one day but they definitely don't want to gay marry so divorce = OK, gay marriage = not OK
It's certainly an odd logic, especially as there were 118,140 divorces in 2012, which was apparently a 0.5 rise on the previous year. So it's more of a pressing, bigger issue yet gay marriage sparks their passion and disdain.
username1599987
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
Divorce is definitely prohibited in the Bible, and Jesus Christ himself spoke out about it. Yet, divorce has been allowed for decades now and the number of people getting divorced is growing, and no doubt much higher than the number of gay couples marrying.

So why don't we see the same passion and call for divorce to be abolished?
Because our brains aren't up our asses.
HAnwar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not everyone who is against gay marriage follows the Bible you know...
driftawaay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's certainly an odd logic, especially as there were 118,140 divorces in 2012, which was apparently a 0.5 rise on the previous year. So it's more of a pressing, bigger issue yet gay marriage sparks their passion and disdain.
Well yeah, they don't campaign against the legality of premarital sex either...or shaving.... because they like to do those things.
Honestly this is like asking why KKK members dont call for the murder of white people. Its because they are white themselves.
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
(Original post by HAnwar)
Not everyone who is against gay marriage follows the Bible you know...
Is divorce, and I mean divorce as allowed by current secular law, allowed in the Qur'an? If not, then the same logic applies to not campaigning against pre-marital sex as the user above refers to.
perpetualpanic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Simple answer - they're homophobes. Also to the user above, divorce is completely fine under Islamic law.
HAnwar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is divorce, and I mean divorce as allowed by current secular law, allowed in the Qur'an? If not, then the same logic applies to not campaigning against pre-marital sex as the user above refers to.
Yes.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think it does. Pre-marital sex is usually something done in private, whereas marriage is usually something that is expressed as a very public statement. Pre-marital sex is simply "not banned", whereas marriage is actively and officially recognised by the state.

Why do you personally think it is that people are more likely to actively campaign against the legality of gay marriage rather than the legality of gay sex?

Also, yes - divorce is allowed by the Qur'an. (Though I don't know what in particular you're referring to when you say "as allowed by current, secular law")
Man.bear.pig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Divorce isn't seen as a lack of morals the way homosexuality is to many religious groups. I personally don't care but that's certainly the rationale.
there's too much love
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Man.bear.pig)
Divorce isn't seen as a lack of morals the way homosexuality is to many religious groups. I personally don't care but that's certainly the rationale.
Which shows those people to be homophobic.

Godwin time.

I'm sure Hitler saw what he did as the morally correct thing to do. Still a bigoted **** though
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Marriages last and some don't. Not everyone who is against gay marriage bases it on the bible.

There are a large number of reasons why divorce happens
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by there's too much love)
Which shows those people to be homophobic.

Godwin time.

I'm sure Hitler saw what he did as the morally correct thing to do. Still a bigoted **** though
I don't know about you but I can't be sure of the mind of a man I've never met before.
However, "lacking morals" is technically not the definition of a phobia.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Divorce was brought in by Henry VIII, it's been around for centuries. Gary marriage hasn't. It's always the new thing that cause a commotion

Posted from TSR Mobile
there's too much love
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know about you but I can't be sure of the mind of a man I've never met before.
However, "lacking morals" is technically not the definition of a phobia.
That's kind of my point.

They may feel morally that homosexuality is okay however, they are bigoted for those things.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because it's easier to fight something that isn't already established.

In Ireland, where divorce was illegal until relatively recently, it certainly was an issue. In 1986, it was roundly defeated in a referendum. In 1995, it got through on a margin of 50.28%.

In both cases, it was fought vigorously against by opponents. There were high profile legal challenges to it.

The same process happened in Malta in 2011. Divorce was legalised in a referendum with a reasonably narrow result: 53.16% in favour. The Roman Catholic church campaigned actively against it.

(Original post by driftawaay)
I suspect anyone who was devoutly religious wouldn't want to get divorced.
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
Odd rationale considering it goes against one of the major tenets of the Bible, and one that Jesus himself referred to.
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Odd rationale considering it goes against one of the major tenets of the Bible, and one that Jesus himself referred to.
Divorce doesn't prevent natural birth and before the divorce, a conception of a child could happen not only naturally but within wedlock. So it doesn't have the consequences that homosexuality does but anyway i really don't care, please don't quote me again here. I don't feel like discussing this any further.
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Religion is always at least 40 years behind popular opinion, probably because it's patriarchal, it's led by elderly men and they influence opinion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (27)
14.44%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (55)
29.41%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
40.11%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.37%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.67%

Watched Threads