In your opinion should University be free?

Watch
Cats&Roses
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I believe that Universities should be free so that your financial standing shouldn't hinder you from getting an education. University fees only widen the gaps between the poor and rich.
username1283138
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's free in Scotland
simondo93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Junioh)
It's free in Scotland
Any reason you feel the need to point out the obvious?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
ALevelBro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No fees -> reduced placement and higher competition -> less skilled workers.

I'd say reduce the fees but it definitely shouldn't be free, otherwise most of us would be working on a farm with no higher education.
Cats&Roses
Rep:
?
(Original post by ALevelBro)
No fees -> reduced placement and higher competition -> less skilled workers.

I'd say reduce the fees but it definitely shouldn't be free, otherwise most of us would be working on a farm with no higher education.
But it's quite unfair for those who are unable to afford University to not be able to go just because they weren't born into wealth...
How are no fees going to reduce placement and skilled workers? I don't really understand.
ALevelBro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CatCatherine)
How are no fees going to reduce placement and skilled workers? I don't really understand.
Because if there are no fees it will only be the taxpayer paying for your university courses.

Naturally they'd want to cut costs so as a result less courses and fewer places will be available.
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I believe that Universities should be free so that your financial standing shouldn't hinder you from getting an education. University fees only widen the gaps between the poor and rich.
Am I wrong in saying that University is effectively free because you're given a loan to cover the fees? If anything being less well off sometimes benefits you are you are given more money.

You then repay the loan with future earnings, which have nothing to do with your financial position when you apply and everything to do with what you make of yourself.
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
reduce fees for humanities as they're not worth 9k what a joke

I'm not happy 9k myself even if i'm doing a STEM but degrees are valuable wherever you go
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On the basis that nothing is free, what you are actually saying is "should someone else pay for my education?"

University fees narrow the gap between rich and poor. State funded higher education, like state funded opera, represents a transfer of wealth from the working to the middle classes.
Cats&Roses
Rep:
?
(Original post by Schleigg)
Am I wrong in saying that University is effectively free because you're given a loan to cover the fees? If anything being less well off sometimes benefits you are you are given more money.
Although I agree that you get a student loan... jobs aren't really that easy to secure and a debt burden is something to worry about for those who don't have much money. If you are less well off, yes you are given more money, but it is not beneficial because that is more money to pay off in the future.
Cats&Roses
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
On the basis that nothing is free, what you are actually saying is "should someone else pay for my education?".
Why don't poor people just buy more money?
(apparently anyone can get rich but that doesn't really add up when the education system prefers the already rich)
simondo93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Although I agree that you get a student loan... jobs aren't really that easy to secure and a debt burden is something to worry about for those who don't have much money. If you are less well off, yes you are given more money, but it is not beneficial because that is more money to pay off in the future.
Not really. A lot of it becomes a grant

Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But it's quite unfair for those who are unable to afford University to not be able to go just because they weren't born into wealth...
The whole point of the fee structure is that no-one can't afford university, because fees aren't paid until they can afford it. So why not make most of the burden fall on the person who receives most of the benefit?
odkfn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by simondo93)
Any reason you feel the need to point out the obvious?

Because it might not be obvious to some.

Any reason your phone feels the need to tell us what model and app it uses?
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
University should be free for those who can't afford it. The argument that the current loan system makes it accessible to anyone is poor - the mere fact of having to borrow ~£50k makes it hugely inaccessible for people purely due to the figure. It can be multiples of their family's net worth; and I don't think many who are better-off realise the psychological effect of this.
leinad2012
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bittr n swt)
reduce fees for humanities as they're not worth 9k what a joke

I'm not happy 9k myself even if i'm doing a STEM but degrees are valuable wherever you go
Stupid idea, humanities degrees cost less to run so are used to subsidise stem degrees which cost a lot more to run.

For someone worried financially, they may choose a humanities degree over a stem one purely based off cost of the degree which would not be a good thing.

In response to the question no I don't think it should be free, you'd end up with people doing **** degrees because there would be a lower opportunity cost rather than going into employment straight from school. If you want to encourage poorer students into uni, increase maintenance loans because right now they don't even cover rent at some unis
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The idea of the loan is to invest in your future and boost your chances of getting a decent job. The money has to come from somewhere otherwise how do you pay for the University? You would pay back the same percentage of your salary irrelevant of how much loan you received and in fact if you never got a decent job then you'd never pay the loan back - legitimately.

The government is effectively gambling on your future by giving you the money to go to university and hoping that your degree enables you to get a job and pay them back. If, like in Scotland, it is free then the government is potentially wasting money on people who won't benefit them or the nation. However that isn't to say that someone can't get a well-paid job in a field completely different to their degree. A good friend of mine studied History to Masters level at uni and got a well paid job outside the field. He's paid off his student loans aged 29.

Once people leave education and settle into the world, try to get a mortgage or a bank loan for something else, they realise what a friendly product it is then they stop worrying about it. The idea of having these big numbers as "debt" against your name is quite an ominous one when you're a teenager or early twentysomething, but the friendly repayment schedules and low interest and zero impact on your credit rating mean that it is nothing to be concerned about.
genson
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by leinad2012)
Stupid idea, humanities degrees cost less to run so are used to subsidise stem degrees which cost a lot more to run.

For someone worried financially, they may choose a humanities degree over a stem one purely based off cost of the degree which would not be a good thing.

In response to the question no I don't think it should be free, you'd end up with people doing **** degrees because there would be a lower opportunity cost rather than going into employment straight from school. If you want to encourage poorer students into uni, increase maintenance loans because right now they don't even cover rent at some unis
I agree with this - I'd rather maintenance loans/grants be increased rather than tuition lowered. As you said, most of these don't even cover rent in some unis along with living costs and if you come from a low-income background, it's not as though you can ask for help from parents because they don't have any to spare in the first place.

More bursaries and scholarship opportunities would help too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, I don't see why the tax payer should have to subsidise someone's voulentary education when there clearly isn't a shortage of people willing to get a loan to cover the funding.
quentinhamilton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not really because the University fees are not much of a big deal
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads