Garethwannabeeng
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
excuse me if I havent posted in the right place, I am new to this forum.

I have applied for Electrical Engineering and Chemical engineering courses at a few different unis.

I am living in Hull, but want to move out to London which is the reason I applied to London unis.

my A-levels werent great, so I had to apply at either low ranking unis or good unis with a foundation year.

I have applied to these places:

Hull - chem eng (foundation)
London South bank - chem eng (straight entry)
Queens mary - Electrical eng (foundation)
Westminister - Electrical eng (straight entry)
Hull - Physics ( foundation)

I am living in Hull, but want to move out to London which is the reason I applied to London unis.

My mind seems to be set on doing chemical eng, so I am considering London south bank but I heard its a bad university?

Please help
Garethwannabeeng
Rep:
?
If it's too long here is my short form :

Want to study Chemical Eng. but didn't achieve good grades.

Choice between Hull (which includes a foundation yr) and London South Bank (which is direct entry) .

Is the extra year worth it to study at Hull as I have heard that lsbu is not good?

Cheers
Garethwannabeeng
Rep:
?
If there are any moderators here who could check if my post is in the right place , thank you .
chank062
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would say take a foundation year because even if it isn't for the slightly better university, it will give you a much better knowledge base for the degree and it could help you gain a much better degree overall

I can't speak from experience but god luck man
Garethwannabeeng
Rep:
?
(Original post by chank062)
I would say take a foundation year because even if it isn't for the slightly better university, it will give you a much better knowledge base for the degree and it could help you gain a much better degree overall

I can't speak from experience but god luck man
Cheers for the answer , will the foundation yr look bad to employers and is it a replacement to a levels or supplementary to it ?
username829839
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I was in your shoes I would probably do a foundation year, as it would help improve where you went wrong in your a levels. Also it would give you experience on how things are graded at university.

I know a few people on my course that did a foundation year after getting 'bad' a levels, and they thought it was better for them than to jump straight into a degree.
11ahn
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do Mechanical & Medical Engineering at Hull at the moment and I like it - should be improving next year too as some of the lecturers are changing. The Chem Eng's share 3/4 first year modules with Mech, Electronic & Med Engs - first year at least is good! Can't comment on 2nd year as Chem Eng's only have maths with us Hope that helps!
cuckoo99
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Foundation every time ! Gives you a chance to refresh/catch up on some basics while giving you an opportunity to get into a decent uni, it's win win apart from the extra year of loans but most people end up using there 4 years max of loans anyway nowadays. My friend is currently doing foundation physics at Sussex and he really enjoyed it.
Garethwannabeeng
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lostox)
If I was in your shoes I would probably do a foundation year, as it would help improve where you went wrong in your a levels. Also it would give you experience on how things are graded at university.

I know a few people on my course that did a foundation year after getting 'bad' a levels, and they thought it was better for them than to jump straight into a degree.

(Original post by cuckoo99)
Foundation every time ! Gives you a chance to refresh/catch up on some basics while giving you an opportunity to get into a decent uni, it's win win apart from the extra year of loans but most people end up using there 4 years max of loans anyway nowadays. My friend is currently doing foundation physics at Sussex and he really enjoyed it.
is there anything I should be aware of when taking foundation year, that I may be unaware of? And if I was to choose one uni for chem eng and one for elec eng, which do you think are the ones to choose?
thebearissquare
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cuckoo99)
So if you do the foundation year you'll have to pay the last year if you want to get a masters?
username853993
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thebearissquare)
So if you do the foundation year you'll have to pay the last year if you want to get a masters?
Nope, as long as it is an integrated foundation year and integrated undergrad masters year you get funding for the entire length of your course (ie in a undergrad masters case + foundation year 5 years funding)

example

I did my foundation year at leeds last year and I am now doing the 4 year mphys physics degree now and get funding for all 5 years of my course as it is all classed as one course
cuckoo99
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Garethwannabeeng)
is there anything I should be aware of when taking foundation year, that I may be unaware of? And if I was to choose one uni for chem eng and one for elec eng, which do you think are the ones to choose?
Be aware that you will have to work a lot harder in your foundation year compared to your first year, I know it sounds weird but they will want you to prove yourself as the unis are basically taking a gamble by doing foundation years. This is reflected in the higher percentage needed to pass the foundation year- believe it's 60 percent but could be higher I think.

Good luck with your endeavours
hs1var19
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
LSBU is accredited by the IChemE but Hull isn't. But then again you have Bradford nearby that does the Chem Eng foundation for 200 pts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.2%

Watched Threads