Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's the funniest comment someone has given for giving you Rep? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    what is the point of mispelling words intentionally?

lou xxx
    I don't, as such, i just spell the way i spell, and don't see why i should change it to what most people concider correct.

ReputationRep:
    ill take pos rep with an insulting comment if anyone is interested ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Not as such intentional.
    I don't really set out to spell a certain way.
    Its just like grammer, for example, i always spell with an e, just out of habit and logic, and i don't see why i should change just because its not 'correct'.
    errrr cos i's a realy bad habit to get into and if you start doing it one place, you end up spelling rubbishly everywhere and that's not exactly a very constructive habit to get into...

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Are you American?
    No, i certainly am not american.

ReputationRep:
    No, i certainly am not american.
    Interesting...

ReputationRep:
    errrr cos i's a realy bad habit to get into and if you start doing it one place, you end up spelling rubbishly everywhere and that's not exactly a very constructive habit to get into...

lou xxx
    No, its only certain words, which to me at least, are illogically spelt in the first place, that i spell 'incorrectly'.
    The majority of my spelling is perfectly adequate, and none of my differences in spelling from the normal spellings hinder in the communication of whatever i am trying to say.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting...

Is it?
    There are alot of people who aren't american, but i don't think that automatically makes them interesting.
    Or am i missing the point?

ReputationRep:
    No, its only certain words, which to me at least, are illogically spelt in the first place, that i spell 'incorrectly'.
    The majority of my spelling is perfectly adequate, and none of my differences in spelling from the normal spellings hinder in the communication of whatever i am trying to say.
    it's not about being unable to communicate, it just looks like errors on you part for example if it was in some kind of job application, it's just looks bad (but obviously if you don't adhere to social norms that is not a problem)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Or am i missing the point?
    Yes, you are. I'm not sure why spelling "a lot" as one word seems more logical than spelling it as two though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't, as such, i just spell the way i spell, and don't see why i should change it to what most people concider correct.
    lol - you have the power to change the English language - i think not - now hush!

ReputationRep:
    it's not about being unable to communicate, it just looks like errors on you part for example if it was in some kind of job application, it's just looks bad (but obviously if you don't adhere to social norms that is not a problem)

lou xxx
    If i was applying for a job, i'd use spell check or something first.

But where has this idea that i particularly don't adhere to social norms come from?
    I mean, yeah, i do try to get away from some, but people seem to think that it is innate in who i am as a person, which i totally don't get.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you are. I'm not sure why spelling "a lot" as one word seems more logical than spelling it as two though.
    Because alot, to me, sounds like a single word, so should also be written as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    lol - you have the power to change the English language - i think not - now hush!
    No, not at all. I don't claim that it'll change anything.
    I'm just doing what i choose to do, and thats it to me.

ReputationRep:
    Because alot, to me, sounds like a single word, so should also be written as such.
    I agree, I always spell it as one word :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all. I don't claim that it'll change anything.
    I'm just doing what i choose to do, and thats it to me.
    ...an annoying person, who thinks that being defiant will get them somewhere

ReputationRep:
    But it's a noun :confused:

ReputationRep:
    em i havn't got anything particularly funny but i've given out some in the past

ReputationRep:
    Some people spell "no one" noone"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    ...an annoying person, who thinks that being defiant will get them somewhere
    Again, i don't claim that anything i do is going to do anything.
    But i don't think its right that others should dictate how i do things either.
    It isn't an issue of defiance, its about choice.

ReputationRep:
    But it's a noun :confused:
    But when it is spoken (and read as well as it happens) it is 'alot', not 'a lot'.
    And are you sure its a noun?
    I thought, as it describes a noun, its an adjective?
    Or maybe i'm wrong?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.