The Student Room Group

Writing my personal statement

Hi, I am in the process of writing my personal statement in order to apply for Veterinary Medicine at University. I have talked to one uni already who are very personal statement orientated and I understand that not all universities are the same. I have tried to follow the pointers they gave whilst writing my statement. Just wondering if anyone here has any more ideas of what universities like to see when applying for this course? Thank you!:smile:
Simply put, they want proof that you've explored the career, are aware of what the degree course entails and know what you can do with it after qualifying. They want proof that you're dedicated, and that you know what you're getting yourself into.

Read Skatealexia's PS guide here. It's very good, easily the best resource I came across when I was writing mine.

Check out some example vet statements here (but don't be tempted to 'borrow' anything :wink: )

The Guardian did an article about writing a vet PS a while ago.

Bristol (possibly the university you spoke to) have a PDF that explains in detail what they're looking for.

You're correct that not every university values the personal statement so highly. If you want to apply somewhere that places less emphasis on it, Liverpool don't look at them at all and RVC take a more holistic view :smile:

Hope that helps, best of luck with your application! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AmyKatieAA
Hi, I am in the process of writing my personal statement in order to apply for Veterinary Medicine at University. I have talked to one uni already who are very personal statement orientated and I understand that not all universities are the same. I have tried to follow the pointers they gave whilst writing my statement. Just wondering if anyone here has any more ideas of what universities like to see when applying for this course? Thank you!:smile:

The following link has some examples...if it helps with ideas?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Veterinary_Science_Personal_Statements
Check out my signature for a website for some extra support :wink:
Reply 4
Thank you I will check them out! Bristol was the university I spoke to that highly regard them and thank you for letting me know about Liverpool I didn't know that!
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Simply put, they want proof that you've explored the career, are aware of what the degree course entails and know what you can do with it after qualifying. They want proof that you're dedicated, and that you know what you're getting yourself into.

Read Skatealexia's PS guide here. It's very good, easily the best resource I came across when I was writing mine.

Check out some example vet statements here (but don't be tempted to 'borrow' anything :wink: )

The Guardian did an article about writing a vet PS a while ago.

Bristol (possibly the university you spoke to) have a PDF that explains in detail what they're looking for.

You're correct that not every university values the personal statement so highly. If you want to apply somewhere that places less emphasis on it, Liverpool don't look at them at all and RVC take a more holistic view :smile:

Hope that helps, best of luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you!

Original post by wiseowly
The following link has some examples...if it helps with ideas?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Veterinary_Science_Personal_Statements
Reply 6
How can I make my medical personal statement stand out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmyKatieAA
Hi, I am in the process of writing my personal statement in order to apply for Veterinary Medicine at University.

Original post by ssn2125
How can I make my medical personal statement stand out?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi. watch this instead. If you like my contribution, do rep me.

[video="youtube;5jQ3MJgdkJY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3MJgdkJY[/video]
Reply 8
Original post by puss n boots
Hi. watch this instead. If you like my contribution, do rep me.

[video="youtube;5jQ3MJgdkJY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3MJgdkJY[/video]

what are your opinions on cambridge vet med?

if anyone knows any vet med students from cambridge or post grad cambridge vet med students, please tell me their emails or TSR usernames so i can get in touch!

I'd like to know, truthfully, if it's true that animal handling is only experienced in the 4th year so I can make an informed choice on applying to the uni.

thanks!!
Original post by annie79
what are your opinions on cambridge vet med?

if anyone knows any vet med students from cambridge or post grad cambridge vet med students, please tell me their emails or TSR usernames so i can get in touch!

I'd like to know, truthfully, if it's true that animal handling is only experienced in the 4th year so I can make an informed choice on applying to the uni.

thanks!!

I know next to nothing about cambridge or vet med. I merely supplied you with a video which will aid you when you are in the brainstorm phase of your personal statement.

On the top of this forum,
1) scroll your mouse on 'university'
2) click on 'uni courses'
3) scroll down to 'Medical, Health and Life Sciences University Courses'
4) click on 'veterinary medicine'

I think you'll have much better luck there?
Reply 10
I know next to nothing about cambridge or vet med. I merely supplied you with a video which will aid you when you are in the brainstorm phase of your personal statement.

yep, I've started a thread and anything but not getting any responses.. I'd really like to get in touch with vet med students - it would be SO helpful!

The thread is already there...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending