The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Obtaining a place via Adjustment?

I was wondering if anyone out there has ever received a place at Strathclyde University via Adjustment (or Clearing). I've recently became aware of the fact that Strathclyde Uni doesn't accept any students intending to "live at home" via Clearing.

Now to explain my situation.
At the beginning of the year, I was intending to do the course, "Computer Games: Software Development", and was rather adamant that I'd be doing this course. However, nearing the end of the year, I found out that the course I was currently undertaking (Computing: Software Development), wouldn't allow me onto this course with Glasgow Caledonian University. So I instead, added University West of Scotland as another choice.

Now, after receiving a conditional offer from UWS, (Which was just to pass, so a C, to get into 2nd year.), I have decided I don't actually want to do this course, and instead to Software Engineering or Computer Science at Strathclyde.

After contacting Strathclyde regarding my interest, they told me;
"I'm afraid that we are closed to applications from Home students for
entry in September 2015 as we received a very large number of
applications by the UCAS January 15th deadline. It is also the
University's policy to not enter Clearing."

This never mentioned anything in regards to Adjustment (which essentially is the ability to contact other unis, if you get a higher grade.). I expected a reply similar to this, due to the Universities not receiving any grades until August/September. Would there still be hope for me in this regard to getting a place at Strathclyde?

Has anyone been able to get into Strathclyde University via Adjustment or Clearing by living at home? I'm rather disappointed that I never thought of my choices more thoroughly at the beginning of the year.

If not, has anyone took a Gap Year, and still been accepted into the year they wanted previously?

I received my results a few weeks ago. (Got an A), and with my choices being rather limited in regards what to do next. (I could try for GCU again, but that's doubtful I feel.).

TL;DR.
I didn't think I was wanting to do a particular course at Strathclyde at the beginning of the year.
Now, I overachieved in my grades this year, and would like to go to Strathclyde.
Has anyone obtained a place via Clearing or Adjustment by living at home whilst applying to Strathclyde?
If not, have you took a Gap Year, and still got in the year you wished for the previous year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Brizo
I was wondering if anyone out there has ever received a place at Strathclyde University via Adjustment (or Clearing). I've recently became aware of the fact that Strathclyde Uni doesn't accept any students intending to "live at home" via Clearing.The issue is that places for Scottish and EU students are capped, so they don't generally have places available in Clearing for them - it's nothing to do with 'living at home' - the issue is which funding regime covers you. Here's what it says on their website:

We don't normally have places available in Clearing for Scottish or EU students on any of our undergraduate courses. Places for these students are capped by the Scottish Funding Council.

If this situation should change, details will be provided here from 4 August.

Now to explain my situation.
At the beginning of the year, I was intending to do the course, "Computer Games: Software Development", and was rather adamant that I'd be doing this course. However, nearing the end of the year, I found out that the course I was currently undertaking (Computing: Software Development), wouldn't allow me onto this course with Glasgow Caledonian University. So I instead, added University West of Scotland as another choice.

Now, after receiving a conditional offer from UWS, (Which was just to pass, so a C, to get into 2nd year.), I have decided I don't actually want to do this course, and instead to Software Engineering or Computer Science at Strathclyde.

After contacting Strathclyde regarding my interest, they told me;
"I'm afraid that we are closed to applications from Home students for
entry in September 2015 as we received a very large number of
applications by the UCAS January 15th deadline. It is also the
University's policy to not enter Clearing."

This never mentioned anything in regards to Adjustment (which essentially is the ability to contact other unis, if you get a higher grade.). I expected a reply similar to this, due to the Universities not receiving any grades until August/September. Would there still be hope for me in this regard to getting a place at Strathclyde?
No, because if you are holding an unconditional offer at another university, you cannot enter Adjustment. You can only do this if you are holding a conditional offer, AND you exceed it. Unfortunately, if places for Scottish students are capped, the uni wouldn't be able to take you in Adjustment anyway, unless they had people who missed their offers and they decided not to take them after all.

If not, has anyone took a Gap Year, and still been accepted into the year they wanted previously?
There's nothing to stop you from taking a gap year and applying again, people do this all the time and often successfully.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending