The Student Room Group

How respected are these degrees?

How respected are politics or criminology degrees from a good university?

Or even joint honours of the two.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simondo93

If you mean respect as in employers it entirely depends on what career you want to go for.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If you mean respect as in employers it entirely depends on what career you want to go for.

Well since most graduates don't end up in careers directly related to their degree I mean generally by employers.

Well since most graduates don't end up in careers directly related to their degree I mean generally by employers.

Employers just want to see a degree they don't care what subject
Reply 4
Original post by Error404OLE
Employers just want to see a degree they don't care what subject

Interesting perspective care to elaborate?

i don't agree with your statement at all, all the graduates i know are doing something related to their degree subject(for me its why do a degree in a subject if the knowledge gained isnt ever useful to you again but the argument can be made of each degree giving graduates specific transferable skills.
As your choices arent directly related to a career ,unless of course your aim is to go into law enforcement or politics, but are still reasonably "academic". As long as you weren't trying to get a job in something that people can have a degree which would make them much better at that job than your degree then i wouldnt worry too much if you recon you ll graduate with a good degree classification.
Reply 6
i don't agree with your statement at all, all the graduates i know are doing something related to their degree subject(for me its why do a degree in a subject if the knowledge gained isnt ever useful to you again but the argument can be made of each degree giving graduates specific transferable skills.
As your choices arent directly related to a career ,unless of course your aim is to go into law enforcement or politics, but are still reasonably "academic". As long as you weren't trying to get a job in something that people can have a degree which would make them much better at that job than your degree then i wouldnt worry too much if you recon you ll graduate with a good degree classification.

I understand and partly agree with you but it's a fact for a large amount of humanities, arts & social science graduates.

I understand and partly agree with you but it's a fact for a large amount of humanities, arts & social science graduates.

my partner is a social science graduate did education and is becoming a teacher hence not thinking about it as the rest of the people i know are doing quite specific subjects.
There are less jobs in those types of degrees so it does make sense.
Reply 8
my partner is a social science graduate did education and is becoming a teacher hence not thinking about it as the rest of the people i know are doing quite specific subjects.
There are less jobs in those types of degrees so it does make sense.

The teacher story happens quite often.

The teacher story happens quite often.

an education degree is pretty related to teaching especially when it comes to policy, hence me not knowing anyone who didnt do anything completely unrelated to their undergrads.

do you specfically want to go into politics or work with criminals or do you just find the subjects interesting?
Reply 10
an education degree is pretty related to teaching especially when it comes to policy, hence me not knowing anyone who didnt do anything completely unrelated to their undergrads.

do you specfically want to go into politics or work with criminals or do you just find the subjects interesting?

Oh sorry I wouldn't really consider education degrees as social sciences.

I also don't mean completely unrelated.

Working with criminals is directly related to criminology.
Working in welfare is indirectly related since it has to do with policies but is also loosely related to many degrees/skills.

(edited 8 years ago)
Oh sorry I wouldn't really consider education degrees as social sciences.

I also don't mean completely unrelated.

Working with criminals is directly related to criminology.
Working in welfare is indirectly related since it has to do with policies.

if you do something remotely related then i recon they will be respected to be honest. education is under the school of social sciences at my uni but not sure where else they would fit it in school wise really.

Maybe because you're doing nursing.
Neither are that great but politics is better

Politics is probably more prestigious than criminology for general grad schemes—not much difference, imo. But if you want to go into offender management or something along those lines, a degree in criminology is very useful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by callum_law
Maybe because you're doing nursing.

i m the only one out of people i know personally doing nursing, i was mainly referring to the fact my relatives have a wide range of degrees between them and they ve all done something related in some way.
tbh anything out of STEM is useless degrees but that's my opinion.
Reply 17
Original post by callum_law
Politics is probably more prestigious than criminology for general grad schemes—not much difference, imo. But if you want to go into offender management or something along those lines, a degree in criminology is very useful.

I would like to do something with criminals but I'm fairly open as to what career or direction I want to take. I'm also considering post graduate at some point in the future.

Reply 18
Original post by ckfeister
tbh anything out of STEM is useless degrees but that's my opinion.

Theres always one

Theres always one

???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending