Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

Our very, very first computer was the old BBC (does anyone remember them?) and when I was about 3 or 4 we got the centris... Even when I was 7 years old I remember arguing with this boy at school about pcs and macs, guess which side I was on? Strangely enough now he has a mac...
    You mean the BBC Micro or one of the A3000's ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    You mean the BBC Micro or one of the A3000's ?
    I don't know, I was only little but it was always refered to as the BBC. We used to play games on it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

I don't know, I was only little but it was always refered to as the BBC. We used to play games on it though!
    Did load up to a BASIC screen somthing like

BBC Computer
    ©1981 Acorn Computer Corp
    32K RAM....
    READY
    >_

ReputationRep:
    I've actually had both, and the Sony Vaio is crap... mac powerbooks are better than that. But if you want a windows don't go for the Sony ones.... cheap, slow (even at high spec), also overpriced because of the "sony" name...

i know macs are priced for their name, but at least it warrants it in design etc... For example i didn't even have my sony for a week and it crashed and would not behave!! Mac ive had since last August, never ever had a problem...

Plus little or no viruses are made for macs, since it is the minoritiy (superior lol) that own them...

Mac 1 Sony Vaio 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    I've actually had both, and the Sony Vaio is crap... mac powerbooks are better than that. But if you want a windows don't go for the Sony ones.... cheap, slow (even at high spec), also overpriced because of the "sony" name...

i know macs are priced for their name, but at least it warrants it in design etc... For example i didn't even have my sony for a week and it crashed and would not behave!! Mac ive had since last August, never ever had a problem...

Plus little or no viruses are made for macs, since it is the minoritiy (superior lol) that own them...

Mac 1 Sony Vaio 0
    Maybe if you try and buy a proper laptop and not the Vaio ones, maybe alienware for games etc. And spend the exact same amount of money for a mac, you will find that they are quite similar in their operations and abilities

ReputationRep:
    My course tutor had a vario and his hard drive failed. He was not pleased. It was 8 months old as well, he had all his marks on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    My course tutor had a vario and his hard drive failed. He was not pleased. It was 8 months old as well, he had all his marks on there.
    Come on, it is pretty evident that Sony uses the exact factory that produces a lot fo the Tiny's/Time's laptops, but with its badge on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Come on, it is pretty evident that Sony uses the exact factory that produces a lot fo the Tiny's/Time's laptops, but with its badge on it.
    Do you think? It will be assembled in a Sony factory, all the casing will by made by Sony and probably the motherboard and TFT screen, however the rest is probably just OEM products such as the hard drive. I am not that keen on Sony anymore, they make good lower end HIFI products, their TVs/Videos are well overpriced, the same goes for their laptops and digital cameras. They make good video cameras though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)

Mac 1 Sony Vaio 0
    I would refute that claim, at the top end, a Sony Vaio is a very capable machine. I would agree though that Vaios are priced over the odds. But then aren't Apples too? The iBook and iMac are, technically, nothing special and yet come with hefty price tags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Did load up to a BASIC screen somthing like

BBC Computer
    ©1981 Acorn Computer Corp
    32K RAM....
    READY
    >_
    I can't remember that well But I think it did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I would refute that claim, at the top end, a Sony Vaio is a very capable machine. I would agree though that Vaios are priced over the odds. But then aren't Apples too? The iBook and iMac are, technically, nothing special and yet come with hefty price tags.
    At the end of the day I'd rather have a mac over a PC any day! My iBook wasn't that expensive even though it was maxed out, in my eyes it's a bargin...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thedierks.com/allowe/vide...chFromMac.mpeg

Big! (50mb)

But funny. In a geeky way.

You may have seen it already

Made me smile anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of Mac owners are typical use-10%-of-their-brains Americans, who buy them to look pretty and go online. They are "simplified" which makes them fine for simple day-to-day things like that, but anything even slightly more complicated requires at least double what it would on a PC.

To right click you can't just move a different finger, you've got to use the keyboard at the same time, as somehow this makes it "simpler". I fail to see how using both limbs simultaneously can possible be easier than moving one finger, but many Mac owners seem to think so. To take a screenshot, you can't press the "print screen" button, because there isn't one, as a single button is far too complicated - 3 buttons pressed at the same time is much easier, obviously. You can't (or at least couldnt) make a shortcut to something anywhere except in the same folder, which is a slight problem when you're 57 levels deep inside a network in a folder you don't have read access to - while on a PC all you do is use that horribly complicated second mouse button to drag the file to where you want the shortcut instead.

Macs bug me, I hated having to use them at school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Maybe if you try and buy a proper laptop and not the Vaio ones, maybe alienware for games etc. And spend the exact same amount of money for a mac, you will find that they are quite similar in their operations and abilities
    alienware? talk about overpriced shite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    http://www.thedierks.com/allowe/vide...chFromMac.mpeg

Big! (50mb)

But funny. In a geeky way.

You may have seen it already

Made me smile anyway.
    I hate to admit it, but that is bloody funny!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone only buying apples for their looks should realise there are loads of good-looking Windows laptops and it would be much more original to buy one of these than an iBook/Powerbook because these are so common. That's the main advantage of PCs - there are so many different versions/brands/specs to choose from compared to only a few different spec choices for the macs. I've just bought a laptop which I think is pretty much as good looking as an iBook and it only cost me £700:

http://computers2.toshiba.co.uk/toshiba/sysadmin.nsf/files/webr-5y2f9p/$file/a100demo2.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
    Anyone only buying apples for their looks should realise there are loads of good-looking Windows laptops and it would be much more original to buy one of these than an iBook/Powerbook because these are so common. That's the main advantage of PCs - there are so many different versions/brands/specs to choose from compared to only a few different spec choices for the macs. I've just bought a laptop which I think is pretty much as good looking as an iBook and it only cost me £700:

http://computers2.toshiba.co.uk/toshiba/sysadmin.nsf/files/webr-5y2f9p/$file/a100demo2.html
    Well, you get what you pay for - for only another £1000 or so you could have had all that AND a fancy glowing apple on the back, AS WELL as a guarantee that at least 75% of all the software you're used to WON'T work, including, but not limited to roughly 100% of all games ever written.

Oh, and it'd have had less buttons aswell. Less buttons is good, as after all, pressing 37 at once with the help of 3 friends while simultaneously dragging the mouse in some contrived inhuman manner is FAR easier than adding a scary extra button to the keyboard.

On a more serious not, nice choice. I've got an old Toshiba Libretto mini-laptop I've been meaning to get going properly, it's boring and grey but only about the size of a video cassette.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalsunshine)
    Which is best?
    GET A TR2MP! They rock! the TR1MP is almost as good (v similar specs), but a lot cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Ok i sorta have both - i have an imac as i was intrested in video editing family footage and the mac is great for that, anything design/arty it is made for.
    However just doing general stuff on i did find more difficult, windows to me seems more logical mac i guess is fine if u have had one before.
    So based on this even tho i loved the ibook and the powerbook i made a decision that i would rather sacrifice the perfect design (IMO) for practicality.
    I decided to get a windows laptop but wanted a thin one as they are easier to transport and i prefer them to type on, after much trawling round websites and computer stores i picked the sony vaio PCG-Z1SP which is often plotted against the ibook/powerbook in terms of design - is also silver!
    I love it and having had it 5 months have no complaints - so far!
    Another problem i had with my mac is that it was more difficult swapping files with friends etc. Maybe issue if u at uni and need to access stuff.
    I think both are good but for me windows XP was the right decision.
    Hope this helps a bit
    Ally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Well, you get what you pay for - for only another £1000 or so you could have had all that AND a fancy glowing apple on the back, AS WELL as a guarantee that at least 75% of all the software you're used to WON'T work, including, but not limited to roughly 100% of all games ever written.

Oh, and it'd have had less buttons aswell. Less buttons is good, as after all, pressing 37 at once with the help of 3 friends while simultaneously dragging the mouse in some contrived inhuman manner is FAR easier than adding a scary extra button to the keyboard.

On a more serious not, nice choice. I've got an old Toshiba Libretto mini-laptop I've been meaning to get going properly, it's boring and grey but only about the size of a video cassette.
    Not keen on the apples then? Alright, they look good but I'm going to be using my laptop at uni and an iBook would be hell to connect to the network etc. Also, I have a sony PDA and a Creative MP3 player, neither of which work with apples. Anyway, my laptop has a glowing power switch, so there!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 1, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.