A level sufferer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was just wondering how the government can claim that the UK is in a strong economic position when:
-2.3m children are still living in poverty
-when over 1m people relied of foodbanks between 2014-15 ( a five fold increased compared to 2010)
-when the national debt more than doubled between 2010 and 2015
-when long run unemployment has increased to 36%
-when the UK runs a MASSIVE TRADE Deficit which facilitates household indebtedness

I'm not 'Tory-bashing' but how can they claim that everything is going so well when it clearly isn't
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
And when they only managed to cut the deficit by a third over the course of the last government, despite promising in 2010 they would have got rid of the deficit by now and we'd be running a surplus. A failure no matter how they try and dress it up.
A level sufferer
Rep:
?
(Original post by RFowler)
And when they only managed to cut the deficit by a third over the course of the last government, despite promising in 2010 they would have got rid of the deficit by now and we'd be running a surplus. A failure no matter how they try and dress it up.
Immigration was also a failure, promising to cut to 10000 by 2015 and didnt. Personally i dont see the fixation with the national deficit, it makes no sense to cut the deficit but in turn increase borrowing to the extent that the government have
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by A level sufferer)
I was just wondering how the government can claim that the UK is in a strong economic position when:
-when over 1m people relied of foodbanks between 2014-15 ( a five fold increased compared to 2010)
-when the UK runs a MASSIVE TRADE Deficit which facilitates household indebtedness

I'm not 'Tory-bashing' but how can they claim that everything is going so well when it clearly isn't
Well, in answer to your question, it can make the claim because the numbers it is are verified/ produced by reputable organisations such as the IMF and ONS.

Child poverty. The word you've missed out is 'relative' child poverty. There are two measures of poverty. Relative and absolute. We have no absolute poverty in the UK, but we will always have relative poverty unless everybody gets paid the same.

1 million people have used foodbanks. Not relied on them. The use of a foodbanks is no different than claiming benfits. It's n indication of individuals not being able to fend for themselves for whatever reason.

The national debt has increased due to some rather poor decisions made ore 2010.

Trade debt is a rather archaic method of measurement that fails to correctly acknowledge the lowering of trade barriers.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Immigration was also a failure, promising to cut to 10000 by 2015 and didnt. Personally i dont see the fixation with the national deficit, it makes no sense to cut the deficit but in turn increase borrowing to the extent that the government have
Another person mixing up deficit and borrowing.
A level sufferer
Rep:
?
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Another person mixing up deficit and borrowing.
How did i mix up deficit and borrowing?
A level sufferer
Rep:
?
Well, in answer to your question, it can make the claim because the numbers it is are verified/ produced by reputable organisations such as the IMF and ONS.

Child poverty. The word you've missed out is 'relative' child poverty. There are two measures of poverty. Relative and absolute. We have no absolute poverty in the UK, but we will always have relative poverty unless everybody gets paid the same.

1 million people have used foodbanks. Not relied on them. The use of a foodbanks is no different than claiming benfits. It's n indication of individuals not being able to fend for themselves for whatever reason.

The national debt has increased due to some rather poor decisions made ore 2010.

Trade debt is a rather archaic method of measurement that fails to correctly acknowledge the lowering of trade barriers.
Surely lowering of trade barriers would be nothing but beneficial so in a way it shows the ineptitude of the UK industries to produce competitive g&s. We trade in the Worlds biggest trading bloc by GDP and yet we still run a massive trade deficit.

Saying simply the national debt has increased doesnt fully show the effect, It is projected to triple in the next 'few' years compared to its position in 2008.

An increase in the use of foodbanks can be brushed off as a case of individual incompetence but that wouldnt lead to the 5 fold increase in the use of foodbanks. The issue goes deeper than just attributing it to individuals

Fair point on child poverty though
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surely lowering of trade barriers would be nothing but beneficial so in a way it shows the ineptitude of the UK industries to produce competitive g&s. We trade in the Worlds biggest trading bloc by GDP and yet we still run a massive trade deficit.

Saying simply the national debt has increased doesnt fully show the effect, It is projected to triple in the next 'few' years compared to its position in 2008.

An increase in the use of foodbanks can be brushed off as a case of individual incompetence but that wouldnt lead to the 5 fold increase in the use of foodbanks. The issue goes deeper than just attributing it to individuals

Fair point on child poverty though
Lowering trade barriers has been beneficial and continues to be beneficial, but with the increasing degree of interconnecteness in business, trade deficits are difficult to measure now.

I will agree that UK competitiveness and more importantly productivity needs to increase dramatically.

The first stage of reducing national debt is to get the deficit under control. When that haopns, and only that happens can national debt be reduced.

Food bank usage has gone up for many reasons. The main one being that they're up everywhere. UK, france, Norway, Canada etc. they're up because theres more of them. I doubt even in times of full employement we'll ever see them go. Because food banks are around now, it doesn't mean that there wasn't hunger before. But also factor in that whilst this is happening, food wastage and obesity are also up.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How did i mix up deficit and borrowing?
Implying that the government was cutting the deficit by borrowing money.
A level sufferer
Rep:
?
Implying that the government was cutting the deficit by borrowing money.
I didnt say they were cutting the deficit by borrowing money i said it didnt make sense that they would cut the deficit AND increase borrowing as that just leads to a bigger increase in National debt
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didnt say they were cutting the deficit by borrowing money i said it didnt make sense that they would cut the deficit AND increase borrowing as that just leads to a bigger increase in National debt
That's not the aim. If there is a deficit, then money needs to be borrowed to meet the shortfall that the deficit creates.

In order to cut debt, the deficit has to be removed.
SotonianOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Scrap, I failed.

Ignore.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Can you define child poverty?

1m of how many?

Doubled compared to what?

Unemployment is 36%...?

How does a trade deficit facilitate a household indebtedness?
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because poverty is about inequality, not being "poor" in the conventional sense. It's calculated from people who are below 60% of the median income. If society gets wealthier at the same rate, the same level of people live in relative poverty.

Poverty today is nothing like poverty was in the 1940s, or even the 1970s for that matter.

A false statistic.

But at any rate, food poverty is a feature of any society. Most people who find themselves in this situation are not there through a lack of national wealth: they often have complex and overlapping problems, many of which are social rather than economic.

Just because you have a debt doesn't mean a country isn't wealthy.

36% of what? Total unemployment? That would make sense as the long-term unemployed are the hardest to get into work. Lowering unemployment generally would be expected to increase the proportion of long-term unemployed.

I'm not really following here...
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because the government sees the success of the economy purely on traditional economic indicators and refuses to acknowledge the pain it's causing for certains sections of society.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads