The Student Room Group

Am I strange for never having gone to a concert/gig?

I'm 19 and although I have considered it, I have never seen a band live. I did go to a festival with my dad when I was much younger but all the stages were for small-scale bands. The main reason for me never having gone to one is because most of the bands I like (almost all from the 90s) are now either disbanded or have different line-ups. My favourite band, The Smashing Pumpkins, for example, have only the frontman left and it's been that way since 2000ish; yet I've had the chance to go see them tons of times, if I'd so wished. Festivals excite me even less. I think I'm just always too preoccupied. Anyone else feel like this?
Reply 1
It's not strange at all. I would however recommend going to see a band you like and seeing how you find the experience.
Reply 2
I haven't either and I'm 21
Reply 3
Original post by iangpark
I'm 19 and although I have considered it, I have never seen a band live. I did go to a festival with my dad when I was much younger but all the stages were for small-scale bands. The main reason for me never having gone to one is because most of the bands I like (almost all from the 90s) are now either disbanded or have different line-ups. My favourite band, The Smashing Pumpkins, for example, have only the frontman left and it's been that way since 2000ish; yet I've had the chance to go see them tons of times, if I'd so wished. Festivals excite me even less. I think I'm just always too preoccupied. Anyone else feel like this?

no, whats the point when you listen to the same **** on youtube?
Not alone bro!

I'm quite similar in terms of music as my favourite bands are no longer around eg, The Police. I'm 19 and been to two tiny tiny gigs (50odd people) but I love the thought of live music so this Sept I'm going to OnBlackheath which has Elbow and Manic Street Preachers playing :tongue:
Reply 6
Neither have I.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gone once when I was 14 or 15 and left after 20 minutes, you're not missing out. Can't hear s*** and tickets are too expensive considering the sound equipment they use.
Strange ? Lol I've never been either nothing wrong with it

It's not strange at all. I'm 19 and I only went to my first ever gig this year :smile: It was an 80's post-punk band called Echo and the Bunnymen (thankfully they're still going, as they're my favourite band). Current music doesn't really do anything for me for the most part anyway.
Not strange, although I am surprised by the amount of people on here who are so disinterested in gigs.

Can't get enough of them myself, I'm a tad obsessed with music though.

What other 90s bands do you like? I've seen Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails and Green Day. All similar era to TSP, all incredible live.
Wow In surprised at how many people feel the same! I think some people just have no wish to see bands that they've never heard of live, even if it's a genre they like. I also like R.E.M., Radiohead, Billy Talent, Daft Punk, Slowdive, Ride, RATM, Nirvana, Pearl Jam. I've been obsessed with TSP since I was 13 so nothing really comes close to them!
I wouldn't have thought so. I'm 21, and I still haven't seen anyone in concert yet. Hopefully it won't be too long before I do, though, because I seriously live for music.
Original post by ALevelBro
Gone once when I was 14 or 15 and left after 20 minutes, you're not missing out. Can't hear s*** and tickets are too expensive considering the sound equipment they use.

If you can't see the error of judging every live music event to be bad because when you were younger you saw a ****ty band who didn't know how to set up their equipment properly then more fool you.

Personally, I think you can't beat live music. I have a 1mx500mm (there or thereabouts) cork board in my room that is covered in gig tickets, and I've got a small pile of them next to my bed because they don't fit on the board. Out of all of the bands that I've seen, only one had a poor quality listening experience (and that was at a festival, so I simply wandered off to see another band play).

Last gig I went to was in a room that was about a quarter of the size of the average school assembly room, and there were about 40 people in attendance. I paid £8 for a ticket, and I got to see 3 kickass bands (the headliners who I went for, and two support bands who I'd never heard of before but really dug them upon seeing them live).
If the tickets to see bands you like are extortionately priced then that sucks for you, but the rest of us it's largely a non-issue :h:

x

You're missing out. Going to a gig isn't just about the music. It's about being in a room full of like-minded people (when I'm at a metal gig, I geniunely feel at home), listening to bands you may not have heard of before and therefore enjoying music that may have never heard of otherwise, and having an amazing experience while doing it.

Not every band is going to be great, it'd be daft of me to suggest otherwise. But don't listen to the haters who form an opinion of live music as a whole just because they had one bad experience, or the people who have never been to a gig because they don't think that it's "their thing" and therefore deride the events as a whole.

Also, Slowdive played in London last year. It was amazing :awesome:
(edited 8 years ago)
you're not alone, I've always wanted to go and see my favourite bands live but most of my favourite hardly do any gigs anymore if not rarely, I did have an chance to go and see one of my favourite band but nobody would come since it wasn't their music taste except my dad(even though it wasn't his music taste EITHER!) but I didn't want my dad around since I wanted to be just like every ordinary teen and that it would look embarrassing and plus I didn't booked the tickets quick enough. Most of the bands now that are on tour or doing gigs often are new or really popular bands who literally tbh cant really beat the bands I like. :frown:
I miss the good old days of decent music. :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm also 19, and have never been to a concert or gig, mainly because most of the bands I like are American bands that hardly ever come to the UK. As for festivals, I just always get put off by the prices of tickets to go to them.

Quick Reply

Latest