B795 - Electoral Reform (Proportional Representation) Bill 2015 (Second Reading) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
B795 - Electoral Reform (Proportional Representation) Bill 2015 (Second Reading), TSR Government

Electoral Reform (Proportional Representation) Bill 2015
An Act introducing the additional-member system for Westminster elections.

BE IT ENACTED IN ACCORDANCE by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949,and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Number of Members of Parliament
(1) The House of Commons shall consist of 600 members.
(2) 300 of these members shall be elected by first-past-the-post in single-member constituencies.
(3) The remaining 300 of these members shall be elected via a list system by the Sainte-Lagüe method as described in section 7 of this Act.

2: Electoral Region Boundaries
(1) The electoral regions shall consist of the nine regions of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
(2) The nine electoral regions in England are the responsibility of the Boundary Commission for England.
(3) The Wales electoral region is the responsibility of the Boundary Commission for Wales.
(4) The Scotland electoral region is the responsibility of the Boundary Commission for Scotland.
(5) The Northern Ireland electoral region is the responsibility of the Boundary Commission for Northern Ireland.

3: Constituency Boundaries
(1) The constituencies of the Isle of Wight, Na h-Eileanan an Iar (the Western Isles) and Orkney & Shetland shall be protected.
(2) The remaining 297 constituencies shall contain a population of between 180 000 and 250 000, of which:
a. 249 shall fall within England with the exact boundaries to be decided by the Boundary Commission for England.
b. 14 shall fall within Wales with the exact boundaries to be decided by the Boundary Commission for Wales.
c. 25 shall fall within Scotland with the exact boundaries to be decided by the Boundary Commission for Scotland.
d. 9 shall fall within Northern Ireland with the exact boundaries to be decided by the Boundary Commission for Northern Ireland.
(3) Each constituency must be located within a single electoral region.
(4) Due to population changes the number of constituencies allotted to each boundary commission may be adjusted in future to ensure the constituencies contain as equal populations as possible.

4: Allocation of Regional MPs
(1) Each electoral region shall have the same number of regional seats in the House of Commons as it contains constituencies.

5: General Election Procedure I: Constituency Elections
(1) At each general election, voters will have a ballot paper, coloured white, which they will use to express a preference for a candidate, by drawing a cross or other clear mark by the name of one candidate.
(2) The candidate with most votes is elected.

6: By-Election Procedure I: Constituency Elections
(1) Upon the incapacitation of a constituency MP, a by-election in that constituency shall take place following the same procedure as that of a general election set out in section 5 of this Act.

7: General Election Procedure: Regional Elections
(1) Each party wishing to stand on the regional list may submit a list of up to double the number of regional seats in that region.
(2) At each general election, voters will have a ballot paper, coloured yellow, which they will use to express a preference for a regional list party, by drawing a cross or other clear mark by the name of one party.
(3) The regional seats will be allocated according to the following formula:
a. The number of regional list votes for each party is counted.
b. Seats are allocated to parties by the Sainte-Lagüe method until the total number of seats for that region (both constituency and regional) has been allocated.
c. Parties receiving less than 5% of the regional list vote in a region are not allocated seats in that region, unless they have won at least two constituency seats nationwide.
d. The number of regional seats allocated to each party is the number of allocated seats minus the number of constituency seats won.
e. If the calculation in (d) leaves any party with a negative number of regional seats (overhang seats), then seats are removed from parties in reverse order to which they were awarded by the Sainte-Lagüe method until there are no overhang seats.

8: By-Election Procedure: Regional Elections
(1) Upon the incapacitation of a regional list MP, the next eligible candidate on the party’s list from the previous general election fills the seat.
(2) If there is no further eligible member on the party’s list, a by-election is held in the electoral region using the procedure described in section 5 of this Act.

9: Application to The Student Room
(1) This Act shall not affect the election procedure of the TSR Model House of Commons as set out in its Constitution and Guidance Document.

10: Commencement, Short Title and Extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Electoral Reform Act 2015.
(2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
(3) Shall come into force on 1st of June 2016.

Notes
This bill would introduce the Additional Member System as used in elections to the National Assembly for Wales, Scottish Parliament and London Assembly, as well as other national legislatures such as the German Bundestag.

300 constituency MPs will be elected by first past the post (yes, we've changed back) with a further 300 MPs appointed from 12 regional lists (the 9 English regions, Scotland, Wales and NI) based upon votes cast to ensure a proportional outcome. This will also have the effect of fixing the House of Commons membership at 600.

Needless to say this will also not apply to the MHoC on TSR.
Tahret
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Birchington)
B810 - Electoral Reform (Proportional Representation) Bill 2015, TSR Government

Electoral Reform (Proportional Representation) Bill 2015
An Act introducing the additional-member system for Westminster elections.
BE IT ENACTED IN ACCORDANCE by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949,and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Number of Members of Parliament
(1) The House of Commons shall consist of 600 members.
(2) 300 of these members shall be elected by first-past-the-post in single-member constituencies.
(3) The remaining 300 of these members shall be elected via a list system by the Sainte-Lagüe method as described in section 7 of this Act.

2: Electoral Region Boundaries
(1) The electoral regions shall consist of the nine regions of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
(2) The nine electoral regions in England are the responsibility of the Boundary Commission for England.
(3) The Wales electoral region is the responsibility of the Boundary Commission for Wales.
(4) The Scotland electoral region is the responsibility of the Boundary Commission for Scotland.
(5) The Northern Ireland electoral region is the responsibility of the Boundary Commission for Northern Ireland.

3: Constituency Boundaries
(1) The constituencies of the Isle of Wight, Na h-Eileanan an Iar (the Western Isles) and Orkney & Shetland shall be protected.
(2) The remaining 297 constituencies shall contain a population of between 180 000 and 250 000, of which:
a. 249 shall fall within England with the exact boundaries to be decided by the Boundary Commission for England.
b. 14 shall fall within Wales with the exact boundaries to be decided by the Boundary Commission for Wales.
c. 25 shall fall within Scotland with the exact boundaries to be decided by the Boundary Commission for Scotland.
d. 9 shall fall within Northern Ireland with the exact boundaries to be decided by the Boundary Commission for Northern Ireland.
(3) Each constituency must be located within a single electoral region.
(4) Due to population changes the number of constituencies allotted to each boundary commission may be adjusted in future to ensure the constituencies contain as equal populations as possible.

4: Allocation of Regional MPs
(1) Each electoral region shall have the same number of regional seats in the House of Commons as it contains constituencies.

5: General Election Procedure I: Constituency Elections
(1) At each general election, voters will have a ballot paper, coloured white, which they will use to express a preference for a candidate, by drawing a cross or other clear mark by the name of one candidate.
(2) The candidate with most votes is elected.

6: By-Election Procedure I: Constituency Elections
(1) Upon the incapacitation of a constituency MP, a by-election in that constituency shall take place following the same procedure as that of a general election set out in section 5 of this Act.

7: General Election Procedure: Regional Elections
(1) Each party wishing to stand on the regional list may submit a list of up to double the number of regional seats in that region.
(2) At each general election, voters will have a ballot paper, coloured yellow, which they will use to express a preference for a regional list party, by drawing a cross or other clear mark by the name of one party.
(3) The regional seats will be allocated according to the following formula:
a. The number of regional list votes for each party is counted.
b. Seats are allocated to parties by the Sainte-Lagüe method until the total number of seats for that region (both constituency and regional) has been allocated.
c. Parties receiving less than 5% of the regional list vote in a region are not allocated seats in that region, unless they have won at least two constituency seats nationwide.
d. The number of regional seats allocated to each party is the number of allocated seats minus the number of constituency seats won.
e. If the calculation in (d) leaves any party with a negative number of regional seats (overhang seats), then seats are removed from parties in reverse order to which they were awarded by the Sainte-Lagüe method until there are no overhang seats.

8: By-Election Procedure: Regional Elections
(1) Upon the incapacitation of a regional list MP, the next eligible candidate on the party’s list from the previous general election fills the seat.
(2) If there is no further eligible member on the party’s list, a by-election is held in the electoral region using the procedure described in section 5 of this Act.

9: Application to The Student Room
(1) This Act shall not affect the election procedure of the TSR Model House of Commons as set out in its Constitution and Guidance Document.

10: Commencement, Short Title and Extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Electoral Reform Act 2015.
(2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
(3) Shall come into force on 1st of June 2016.

Notes
This bill would introduce the Additional Member System as used in elections to the National Assembly for Wales, Scottish Parliament and London Assembly, as well as other national legislatures such as the German Bundestag.

300 constituency MPs will be elected by first past the post (yes, we've changed back) with a further 300 MPs appointed from 12 regional lists (the 9 English regions, Scotland, Wales and NI) based upon votes cast to ensure a proportional outcome. This will also have the effect of fixing the House of Commons membership at 600.

Needless to say this will also not apply to the MHoC on TSR.
Nay. This weakens constituency representation in the HoC, making it even less democratic in fact.

It may also limit the power of the mandate granted to a government, as coalition governments often do not have the full mandate of the people (see the Salisbury Convention etc). Any Coalition Agreement is technically illegitimate, and this electoral reform will most likely lead to these agreements (AMS usually results in coalitions.)

The regional list system proposed also over-represents NI and Wales, assuming all regions get the same number of MPs.
JoeL1994
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay, for the same reasons from when PR was last discussed.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm sorry what's changed?
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I'm sorry what's changed?
FPTP will now be used in the constituencies rather than AV.
tengentoppa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay. PR leads to inefficient, restricted coalition governments
Tahret
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
FPTP will now be used in the constituencies rather than AV.
Where's the referendum?
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Burford99)
Why?

Where's the referendum?

What's the point?
A fairer outcome, that's the point. Something that people of most colours are calling for after the general election just gone.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I swear we had this not long back

Nay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I swear we had this not long back

Nay
This is actually a second reading of that bill Birchington
Tahret
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A fairer outcome, that's the point. Something that people of most colours are calling for after the general election just gone.
Do we not already have this according to Aph above?

EDIT: Just realised this is a second reading. I take back my questions - I thought there had been a previous bill that made the UK use AMS, only with AV not FPTP.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do we not already have this according to Aph above?
No. Aph's question appears to refer to the changes made for the second reading of the bill, which I have outlined above.
Tahret
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is this in the Labour manifesto? Or the Liberal manifesto?
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is this in the Labour manifesto? Or the Liberal manifesto?
It is in the Labour manifesto:

"Labour has a proven track-record on constitutional reform. We'll scrap FPTP and bring in major House of Lords reform"
Tahret
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is in the Labour manifesto:

"Labour has a proven track-record on constitutional reform. We'll scrap FPTP and bring in major House of Lords reform"
This doesn't scrap FPTP. It halves its use.
tyroncs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You want to make the House more proportional, but you have done it in one of the worst ways you possibly could

You have doubled the size of constituencies, making them pretty ineffective for MP's to realistically represent them

You have made it so backbenchers have a lot less power and the party whips having much more, as now instead of being able to win a local seat half of MP's will be decided by the party HQ - leading to a bunch of drones who all vote in unison, with anyone who doesn't toe the line losing their job next time they want to get put on the list

Why noy STV?
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I stand against any meddling with the electoral status quo. In any case, this bill is not the best way to achieve greater representation and is an uncomfortable compromise. Nay.
Wellzi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay, as discussed in previous version
Jean-Luc Picard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
eh...AMS is better than FPTP so on that basis Aye, though imho if we give local government more power, the constituency based system becomes a redundancy anyway so we can do away with it & have STV instead.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
While I think FPTP is a cancer, my preferred system is STV. Was STV discussed and why was AMS chosen?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (33)
13.87%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.18%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.83%

Watched Threads