Azule
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hi Tsr

Im currently a F1 doctor however recently I've been rethinking my future in medicine. unfortunately being a doc has not been all i expected it to be. The hours are long and the work is taxing and it makes you wonder if you really did make the right choice. When you look at dentistry however, you see normal 9-5 work hours and some great rates of pay. Ive always wanted a community job so i would most likely train as a GP however looking at the news and speaking to some SHOs, the future in GP looks bleak with huge increase in targets and pay cuts across the board. Ive looked into other specialities but i really want a community role where i can also have a family in the future and not remain married to the hospital

Therefore the question I'm asking is whether its worth retraining in dentistry instead? Provided i get into the grad course it would take 4 years, around the same amount of time it would take me to train as a GP. Tuition fees would be around 3000 if i get on the grad course so do u guys think its worth it?
muchomungo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Azule)
hi Tsr

Im currently a F1 doctor however recently I've been rethinking my future in medicine. unfortunately being a doc has not been all i expected it to be. The hours are long and the work is taxing and it makes you wonder if you really did make the right choice. When you look at dentistry however, you see normal 9-5 work hours and some great rates of pay. Ive always wanted a community job so i would most likely train as a GP however looking at the news and speaking to some SHOs, the future in GP looks bleak with huge increase in targets and pay cuts across the board. Ive looked into other specialities but i really want a community role where i can also have a family in the future and not remain married to the hospital

Therefore the question I'm asking is whether its worth retraining in dentistry instead? Provided i get into the grad course it would take 4 years, around the same amount of time it would take me to train as a GP. Tuition fees would be around 3000 if i get on the grad course so do u guys think its worth it?
Is it worth it? Definitely not.
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you just don't care about the debt i guess so go ahead but it's really daft. Perhaps maxfax?
minor bun engine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I highly doubt this is going to be a good decision. Also, if you went to the effort of doing both a Med & Dent degree, it'd be a crime not to go into OMFS
Awesome Genius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't be silly.
Azule
Rep:
?
(Original post by minor bun engine)
I highly doubt this is going to be a good decision. Also, if you went to the effort of doing both a Med & Dent degree, it'd be a crime not to go into OMFS
Although that seems like a good idea, i have no interest in being married to the operating theatre till I'm 45. So thats not gonna happen.
Azule
Rep:
?
(Original post by muchomungo)
Is it worth it? Definitely not.
Its useless for you to reply if your not going to elaborate on your response. Dentistry would take me the same amount of time if not LEES then it would take to train as a GP so i wouldn't be losing time. Also apart from the initial £3000 for tuition fees for first yr the NHS would be paying for subsequent years on the grad scheme so it wouldn't even be all that expensive
Azule
Rep:
?
(Original post by bittr n swt)
you just don't care about the debt i guess so go ahead but it's really daft. Perhaps maxfax?
I dont wanna train till 50 as maxfax. Also i wouldn't be taking a debt. I would be paying the tuition fees by locuming throughout the year as an SHO
.skittles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I changed my mind 1 month before the UCAS deadline to apply for dentistry instead of medicine. I felt that working in a hospital was too long hours, demanding and emotionally draining. I did work experience with a GP and was shocked at the amount of paperwork they do and it was pretty dull day in day out. Dentistry on the other hand - good working hours and great job satisfaction. There are pros and cons to every job - the grass is always greener on the other side. But for myself it was an easy decision.

Is it worth it? It may be another 4 years of training - but that's nothing compared to 40-50 years until you retire. If it's what you want, go for it.
as421
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by .skittles)
I changed my mind 1 month before the UCAS deadline to apply for dentistry instead of medicine. I felt that working in a hospital was too long hours, demanding and emotionally draining. I did work experience with a GP and was shocked at the amount of paperwork they do and it was pretty dull day in day out. Dentistry on the other hand - good working hours and great job satisfaction. There are pros and cons to every job - the grass is always greener on the other side. But for myself it was an easy decision.

Is it worth it? It may be another 4 years of training - but that's nothing compared to 40-50 years until you retire. If it's what you want, go for it.
I'm in two minds about medicine and dentistry as well. I've got a few months till the UCAS deadline but I need to start my PS and I don't know which course to aim it at. Did you get into dentistry in the end? And was it your work experience that changed your mind? 😁
.skittles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha that was 7 years ago! I'm at the end of my foundation year now, moving onto a great new associate job. Shadowing a GMP made me realise it wasn't what I thought it would be. I never even considered dentistry until then - ended up being the best decision I've ever made.

I just love general practice. Seeing families regularly, looking after them over the years. The fillings you put in 6 months ago in a 5 year old girl still there, she's been brushing her teeth properly and cut out sweets and fizzy drinks. The nervous patients who walk in and tell you they almost turned around at the door, they hate dentists. But you can literally help turn their lives around and give them back their confidence to smile. Nowadays in dentistry, there's more competition and less money. To be honest if it's all about the money, you shouldn't be doing it anyway.

People will see their doctor regardless of whether they like them or not. As a dentist, if your patient doesn't like you or trust you, you'll never see them again.
tsarian23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Listen to Muchomungo OP, he's a qualified dentist with the most realistic impression of real world Dentistry. Please don't ignore his reply, check out his thread (which might seem pessimistic but is 100% the reality of UK Dentistry) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2018235.
Nottie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
dont give up so easily. It should get better once you enter the training.
fatimax02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Did you end up doing dentistry?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (109)
13.66%
I'm not sure (36)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (242)
30.33%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.51%
I'm not a current university student (391)
49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed