1st July: What makes you feel empowered? Watch

BBC Radio 1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This week on The Surgery, Gemma and Dr Radha will be talking about power!

What makes you feel powerful? Or how do you empower others? Maybe you feel like you need some advice on having more power or control on something in your life….what ever it is, let us know here!

Remember,if you want to be involved with the Radio 1 show, let us know on the forum, and one of the team will get back to you!

Note: you can post anonymously in the Radio 1 forum
QuantumOverlord
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BBC Radio 1)

What makes you feel powerful? Or how do you empower others? Maybe you feel like you need some advice on having more power or control on something in your life….what ever it is, let us know here!

Remember,if you want to be involved with the Radio 1 show, let us know on the forum, and one of the team will get back to you!

Isn't power mostly about influence over other people? Obama is considered the most powerful person on the planet because he is leader of the most powerful country (a superpower) and therefore arguably has the most direct control over the average 'earth citizen's' life. On a smaller scale power then is mostly about rising to the highest possible level in a job, or the highest position of responsibility in a recreational scale, empowering others can be done by education because education leads to experience.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A good night's sleep
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
Seducing somebody to the point that they have no inhibition. They do whatever I want them to because they are hopelessly hooked. You make them so dependent on you and so ridiculously infatuated with an idea of what you are that they will willingly do the most outrageously irrational things. Love is a powerful motivator and I don't understand it but I have no problem using it.

The previous poster talked about Obama as an authoritative power. He is indeed powerful but official power is resented much like coercion. You're forced to obey. The most power a person can yield is a cult-like following. A people willing to do whatever you want and thank you for asking them to do it.

It's like a drug, much more powerful than any wealth or official position you can obtain. It's the power to corrupt somebody of who they are to do your bidding, and there's nothing more satisfying than seeing it.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I kind of feel powerful when I'm able to help other people or make their life easier in some way or just generally had a positive effect - so not very often because it normally goes disastrously wrong when I try to help someone
TornadoGR4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Using big words on the internet
username1331498
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Driving a car.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wind, Rain, Darkness, Music.
balanced
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

1. Achievements in sport
2. Strength
3. Academical success
4.Being one of the few people speaking English when I'm in public
5.Being an ethnic minority in places like London/Bradford/Leicester (Caucasian)
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Powerful? god-like powers to destroy this pathetic mankind and to create a new life form after my imaginations. Otherwise I am an ordinary human like you...
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nothing makes a person feel more powerful than persuasive public speaking on an issue of gravity to them and others around them. You couldn't feel more powerful with a gun in your hand, because with public speaking the power is flowing directly out of you and you alone - your instinct for and execution of effective manipulation of volume, speed, stress, timbre and gesture as well as the quality of the textual composition itself and how well-suited it is to your delivery - and through something as simple as your voice you can hold thronging crowds in thrall, reaching into the minds of hundreds, thousands or even millions and re-making them partially or entirely to reflect your own beliefs on any given issue. What could possibly feel more powerful than that?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
'I stopped eating, and everyone had to do what I said. That was powerful.' - Cassie from Skins
Eltener
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

You feel powerful when you feel you are able to exert control over something or someone. You empower someone else by giving them the tools to attain empowerment.
username1456920
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Financial stability. Enough to pay my rent, utility bills, food and my gym membership. And maybe a bit extra for the odd luxury.
Financial stability empowers you to live your life in the way you want to.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TSA)
Financial stability. Enough to pay my rent, utility bills, food and my gym membership. And maybe a bit extra for the odd luxury.
Financial stability empowers you to live your life in the way you want to.
That is fine and dandy what you wrote, but that is not powerful to me nevertheless, as long as you are not in a superior position to control or influence something.
ImNotReallyMe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Being independent, i have control and power over living my life, doing what i enjoy with my time etc.
Asurat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I feel empowered crushing my friends in competition, especially when lifting weights. I empower my friends by cheering them on when going for 1RMs in the same setting, good vibes all round.

EDIT: I'm not a big time meathead just a bit too over-competitive
ImagineCats
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Speaking foreign languages give me a sense of power. It's amazing to be with family or friends, and a foreigner approaches you asking about something and you can communicate with them. If I had to chose any super power, one of them would definitely to be able to speak all the languages in the world fluently! Can't wait to be fluent German to have so much confidence in myself
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When you go Double Flawless on Mortal Kombat with a brutality at the end :sogood:
Talus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This sounds really really sad and nerdy, but I've always felt the most "powerful" when I've been on top of my academic life. I feel that if I'm working hard enough to get myself decent grades, then I can do anything else I set my mind to... When I become unorganised, my mental health starts to suffer more. I guess that's what you call a perfectionist? :dontknow:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.32%
It's just nice to be back! (183)
27.56%
Not great so far... (239)
35.99%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed