Should parents give cash for good grades?

Watch
Poll: Have your parents ever offered you incentives for good grades?
Yes (129)
37.39%
No (216)
62.61%
TomatoLounge
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
When I did my GCSE's A Levels my parents gave me a little cash for good grades. I think it motivated me but not as much as beating my sister in my GCSE's and getting into uni for my A levels.

Have your parents offered an incentives for getting good grades? Does this motivate you or just add to the pressure. Shouldn't parents reward effort rather than grades?
AsandaLFC
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I will reward my kids when they get good grades but definitely not give 'em cash.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GuppyFox
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Some kids in my school got £100 for every A they got in their GCSE's, I have never really agreed with it.

But then, I didn't get much more than just a well done
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My brother and sister get rewarded over me for getting good grades/working hard at school. I asked my daddy once and he said it's because I don't need any incentives to do well since I always do.
tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I think it's a good idea.
Airmed
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GuppyFox)
Some kids in my school got £100 for every A they got in their GCSE's, I have never really agreed with it.

That is just ridiculous. On that bases alone I would have gotten £1100. Who has that money to spare?!

Aye, I'm the same. Transfer test I got an A and got a hug; sister gets a D and is taken out for lunch. GCSEs I get a hug but my sister is taken to Starbucks. :rolleyes: I wonder what it'll be like this year.
Serine Soul
Report 6 years ago
My Dad offered £20 per A*, £10 per A and £5 per B or C.

It was nice but it wasn't really the thing that motivated me to do well
TomatoLounge
Rep:
(Original post by Airmed)
My brother and sister get rewarded over me for getting good grades/working hard at school. I asked my daddy once and he said it's because I don't need any incentives to do well since I always do.
That seems so unfair. Surely you should get more for being so hard working!

That is just ridiculous. On that bases alone I would have gotten £1100. Who has that money to spare?!

Aye, I'm the same. Transfer test I got an A and got a hug; sister gets a D and is taken out for lunch. GCSEs I get a hug but my sister is taken to Starbucks. :rolleyes: I wonder what it'll be like this year.
I'd be jealous of that meal. Starbucks, not so much. Whats a transfer test?
Airmed
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TomatoLounge)
That seems so unfair. Surely you should get more for being so hard working!

I'd be jealous of that meal. Starbucks, not so much. Whats a transfer test?
Well I'm getting my A2 results in August, let's hope.

I live in N.Ireland and the 11+ was still around when I was in primary school. You had to do it if you wanted to get into a grammar school. They've scrapped it now but many grammar schools are still running their own entrance exams.
TomatoLounge
Rep:
Well I'm getting my A2 results in August, let's hope.

I live in N.Ireland and the 11+ was still around when I was in primary school. You had to do it if you wanted to get into a grammar school. They've scrapped it now but many grammar schools are still running their own entrance exams.
Oh I see. My mate from Essex had to do something similar to get into grammar school. Pretty tough to do at age 11 I think. By the sounds of things your owed a meal, a starbucks and something extra for your A levels .
SuperSah
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I get zero reward for any grades I get.

All I get is "well done", and that is all.
Airmed
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TomatoLounge)
Oh I see. My mate from Essex had to do something similar to get into grammar school. Pretty tough to do at age 11 I think. By the sounds of things your owed a meal, a starbucks and something extra for your A levels .
Hell yeah.
username1495504
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My mother said she'd take me to New York if I did well since I wanted to go for many reasons. Yeah she lied and said it was to get me through them even though I didn't need that to do well. I never got to go and was gutted. I don't think I ever forgave her for lying either. If I'm not allowed to go I'm not allowed to go, don't ****ing lie about it.

Don't make false promises to your kids like that
Black Rose
Report 6 years ago
I think they shoud learn to put the effort in to get good grades themselves :yep: Their parents aren't going to be there to reward them for every achievement
boods8897
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My parents took us out for a meal once we'd finished exams as a celebratory exams are over and we've made it! sort of thing. They would never pay for results, partly as one of my brothers does absolutely no work and gets top grades whereas the other works more but gets worse grades. Mostly just as they don't believe in bribery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yelllowribbon
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Might go out for a meal, but nah I think the money thing is kinda weird
ALevelBro
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The reward is that they don't get the belt.
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I was never given any reward for good grades. But I don't really think money would motivate me.

Personally, if a parent is willing to pay their child for good grades, wouldn't it be better instead to spend that money on some tutoring which would have a far greater impact upon their children's final grades than a mere monetary reward.
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

If only I had that as a prize, I would have been seriously rich!
Lainathiel
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Ha, same as me. I got 12 A*s and my results statement stayed on the table, unread, for a day or two. Then there's a kid that got nothing above a C (which is awfully good if you gave it 100%, but I can assure you this person went out partying every night of exams), and got £200 for it. Hmm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads