Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello again! Could someone suggest what method I should use to solve this question:

1) integral (0.1 -> 0) x^2.e^x^3 dx

I tried using by parts twice but I got stuck the second time round as it didnt seem to have made the integral any easier. (i am right in thinking that integral of e^x^3 = [1/3x^2]e^x^3?)

Secondly, could someone work through the below problem as I end up with something completely different to the answers! arghh:

2) Find, in terms of e and pi, the volume generatre when the region bounded by the lines x=1, x=3 and y=0 and the curve with equation y=e^[3x/2] is rotated completely about the x-axis.

Thank you all so much - i figured you wouldn't mind too much as you'll enjoy the P3 practise ready for next week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    2) Find, in terms of e and pi, the volume generatre when the region bounded by the lines x=1, x=3 and y=0 and the curve with equation y=e^[3x/2] is rotated completely about the x-axis.

Thank you all so much - i figured you wouldn't mind too much as you'll enjoy the P3 practise ready for next week!
    For 2), I get V = (1/3)(pi)e³[ e³ - 1] ???

ReputationRep:
    1. Spot that the derivative of x^3 = 3x^2 so use the substitution u=x^3, dx = du/(3x^2)

I don't think it's possible to integrate e^x^3 - when you differentiate [1/3x^2]e^x^3 you'd need to use the quotient rule as well as the chain rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    For 2), I get V = (1/3)(pi)e³[ e³ - 1] ???
    I get that too

ReputationRep:
    Hello again! Could someone suggest what method I should use to solve this question:

I tried using the substitution u=x³ , and it seems to help (cancels the x^2) term...so maybe that would be an appropriate way to go...

Edit: just saw your posts bezza.....glad to know that I seem to be hitting my peak just before the exam

ReputationRep:
    well integrating e^x^3 is ok since u can let u = x^3 and du/dx = 3x^2 therefore reaaraging gives 1/3du = x^2 dx.

so this means integrating 1/3e^u which is 1/3e^u (u = x^3) so this becomes 1/3e^x^3. sticking the limits in gives 1/3e^1/1000 - 1/3. put 1/3 outside into a bracket and becomes 1/3(e^0.001 - 1).

?? plizzz say dats ryt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubba)
    well integrating e^x^3 is ok since u can let u = x^3 and du/dx = 3x^2 therefore reaaraging gives 1/3du = x^2 dx.

so this means integrating 1/3e^u which is 1/3e^u (u = x^3) so this becomes 1/3e^x^3. sticking the limits in gives 1/3e^1/1000 - 1/3. put 1/3 outside into a bracket and becomes 1/3(e^0.001 - 1).

?? plizzz say dats ryt!
    I think that should be right

ReputationRep:

I tried using by parts twice but I got stuck the second time round as it didnt seem to have made the integral any easier. (i am right in thinking that integral of e^x^3 = [1/3x^2]e^x^3?)

Secondly, could someone work through the below problem as I end up with something completely different to the answers! arghh:

the first integrates perfectly to 1/3 e^x^3. differentiate it and see for yourself.

the second one is basically integrate between 1 and 3, pi y^2 dx.

so it's the integral of pi e^3x = 1/3 pi e^3x, between limits 1 and 3. so your answer should be 1/3 pi (e^9 - e^3).

i hope that's right

ReputationRep:
    could someone work through the below problem
    I can indeed.

The volume of a rotated shape is the (pi) x ∫y² dx

This gives (pi) x ∫(e^(3x/2))^2 dx (Between limits 1 and 3)

= (pi) x ∫e^(3x) dx

= (pi)[(1/3)(e^3x)] between 1 and 3

Take out the factors 1/3 and e^3 gives::

(1/3)(pi)e³[ e^6 - 1]

I think bezza and mockel have accidently put e^3 in the brackets, but e^9 = e^3 x e^6, and not e^3 x e^3!

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    the first integrates perfectly to 1/3 e^x^3. differentiate it and see for yourself.

the second one is basically integrate between 1 and 3, pi y^2 dx.

so it's the integral of pi e^3x = 1/3 pi e^3x, between limits 1 and 3. so your answer should be 1/3 pi (e^9 - e^3).

i hope that's right
    yeah...sorry, integrated the first one from 1 to 2 for some reason :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SUKBarracuda)
    I think bezza and mockel have accidently put e^3 in the brackets, but e^9 = e^3 x e^6, and not e^3 x e^3!
    Oops! yeah, that's what I meant - I was just copying mockel - it's all his fault!

ReputationRep:
    I can indeed.

The volume of a rotated shape is the (pi) x ∫y² dx

This gives (pi) x ∫(e^(3x/2))^2 dx (Between limits 1 and 3)

= (pi) x ∫e^(3x) dx

= (pi)[(1/3)(e^3x)] between 1 and 3

Take out the factors 1/3 and e^3 gives::

(1/3)(pi)e³[ e^6 - 1]

Hope this helps
    Thanks for all your help. However, i am slightly confused. surely 3^[3x/2] all squared would give e^[9x^2/4]? Oh god, how am I going to get my A in P3 if i can't even do simple indices!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help. However, i am slightly confused. surely 3^[3x/2] all squared would give e^[9x^2/4]? Oh god, how am I going to get my A in P3 if i can't even do simple indices!!!
    One of the rules of indices is (x^y)^z = x^(yz). I assume you meant [e^(3x/2)]^2 which equals e^(3x/2*2) = e^3x

ReputationRep:
    Bezza is right. e^(3x/2) all squared is the same as:

e^(3x/2) x e^(3x/2)

which is e^((3x/2) x 2)

which is e^(3x).

You can think of the indice theory in terms of 2s.

2^4 = 16

so (2^4) all squared is 16 x 16 which equals 256.

and this is equal to 2^8, which is of course the same as 2^(4x2).

But don't worry you'll do fine in the exam if you just practice a bit of algebra over the next week.

ReputationRep:
    Bezza is right. e^(3x/2) all squared is the same as:

e^(3x/2) x e^(3x/2)

which is e^((3x/2) x 2)

which is e^(3x).

You can think of the indice theory in terms of 2s.

2^4 = 16

so (2^4) all squared is 16 x 16 which equals 256.

and this is equal to 2^8, which is of course the same as 2^(4x2).

But don't worry you'll do fine in the exam if you just practice a bit of algebra over the next week.
    Thanks both of you! lol

ReputationRep:
    This is related to integration (i promise!!! !!!)

Ok in the above question, you have to integrate e^(3x), so i was wondering what is the integral of something like e^(3(x^2))

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Sally)
    This is related to integration (i promise!!! !!!)

Ok in the above question, you have to integrate e^(3x), so i was wondering what is the integral of something like e^(3(x^2))

Thanks
    u cannot express the integral of e^x^2 in terms of elementary functions,but u can find the exact value of the area under the graph of y=e^-x^2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntegralAnomaly)
    u cannot express the integral of e^x^2 in terms of elementary functions,but u can find the exact value of the area under the graph of y=e^-x^2.
    Sorry, don't understand what you mean.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.