The Student Room Group

Suit and tie combination

I have a navy suit. What tie colour would you recommend for an evening formal event? I thought black might be nice.
Aren't black ties are usually for funerals?
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
Aren't black ties are usually for funerals?

Thats what I am worried about I dont really know whats relevant
Original post by KCtwist
Thats what I am worried about I dont really know whats relevant

I wouldn't fret. Wear something bright and colourful. There will be women-folk there who are wearing colourful dresses and the like so why not. If it is a black tie event, then you want to be wearing a DJ and bow tie.

Have fun!
dark grey or a darker navy than your jacket
Original post by KCtwist
I have a navy suit. What tie colour would you recommend for an evening formal event? I thought black might be nice.

How formal is the event? A navy suit will stand out like a sore thumb if everyone else is in black tie (dinner jacket).

A dark coloured tie will go with a (dark) navy suit and white shirt.
Do you really mean an evening formal event? That means a dinner suit. Formal = black tie events, or white tie events...everything else is strictly informal. If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say you're attending an informal dress event. In which case, you can wear absolutely any colour tie with a navy suit, that's the beauty of the suit, it's the most versatile colour. Avoid black and grey ties, go for colourful ties, eg shades of red, shades of blue, shades of yellow, etc...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KCtwist

Wear the same colour for the tie if you have a paler shirt underneath. If you have a dark shirt lighten the tie. Light shirt, darken the tie. Or match the shirt to the tie. Your choice.
I'd probably wear a sky blue, gold or silver tie with a navy suit.

Quick Reply

Latest