The Student Room Group

1000's of uni graduates unemployed - are you worried?

Scroll to see replies

University of Sussex has been doing good work for its students. Organising hundreds of graduate placements for their students. Only temporary but they're great experience (and bump the Uni up the rankings because students are in work at the time of the National Student Survey.
My degree usually scores 95+% on employment and this year every single one of us had a job lined up before we even finished our exams. The industry is severely lacking people with our skills so even those who just passed their degrees were still getting job offers.

I struggle to understand undergrads who finish their degree with nothing lined up at all. It's just not an experience I can relate to in any way :/

Then again I did study STEM so what do you expect?
Original post by Keyhofi
My degree usually scores 95+% on employment and this year every single one of us had a job lined up before we even finished our exams. The industry is severely lacking people with our skills so even those who just passed their degrees were still getting job offers.

I struggle to understand undergrads who finish their degree with nothing lined up at all. It's just not an experience I can relate to in any way :/

Then again I did study STEM so what do you expect?

What course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gay and proud :)

Physics (MPhys), Uni of Surrey.
Original post by Keyhofi

Nice

And what jobs have you lot got lined up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gay and proud :)
Nice

And what jobs have you lot got lined up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everything from research to doctorates to teaching to more precise fields like computing, robotics, rockets, national defence, banking, and so on. There is no short list I can give you :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GuppyFox
I found it interesting when reading this article today about how many people are leaving University to become unemployed, or to work in non-professional jobs.

Although 2/3 of graduates do leave university and find work that utilises their hard-earned degree, the other 1/3 contains over 13,000 unemployed, and over 60,000 in "non-professional" work that could have been achieved without a degree.

Are you worried about this, and does this put you off going to university?

It looks like i'll be joining the 60,000 (telemarketing) at least for a while. While i have applied for graduate roles, the 4 interviews i will have had by months end are all non professional (insurance claims advisory, lead generator, 2 telemarketer). Unfortunately as a poor person i'm also limited pretty much to West Yorkshire until i have savings since i'd have no money to live on until payday even if i got a good job somewhere.

But no, i'd have still gone to university although the apprenticeships developed under the coalition are far more appealing than those when i left school.

I will say that i think too many people look down on non-graduate jobs though. If your aim is six figures at a top firm then fair enough but actually if you have a brain and are good at what you do then you can easily breach £30k (above average wage). I worked for Baraccuda bars for 16 months for example (rival to spoons) and my manager was 27 and earning £32k (he may have been area manager actually so perhaps knock off a few grand for a normal manager). Now had i never left (i left in 09) then it's entirely reasonable to assume i'd have made management and been on at least a UK average wage. The truth is that if your one of these people who works at Tesco for 10 years but has never had a payrise or promotion then it's either because your not as smart or good as you think you are or because you've never had the initiative to ask/demand a payrise/promotion. This is also true in things like telemarketing and administration which are both non-graduate but can lead to relatively decent salaries.
Does Philosophy. Complains about unemployment. Derp.
Reply 48
Original post by Maid Marian
University is over-rated. If I did not wish to go into teaching one day, I would never even think about going.

Society NEEDS to stop pushing University as the 'next step' after school. It shouldn't be for a lot of people. What should be the next step are apprenticeships, vocational courses or work.

This is what is done in Germany, and they have the lowest youth unemployment in Europe. No more than 25% of an age group should go to uni.
Original post by Josb
This is what is done in Germany, and they have the lowest youth unemployment in Europe. No more than 25% of an age group should go to uni.

Sounds like a great idea, but will not stop people from doing "pointless courses" at University, that have no real world application.
Reply 50
Original post by Yellow636
Sounds like a great idea, but will not stop people from doing "pointless courses" at University, that have no real world application.

If loans were repaid directly to universities, they would stop offering "B.A. Media Studies" because their graduates would not be employable. The current system encourage unis to offer useless degrees to get as many students as possible in order to receive a lot of money from the fees.
my uni course has a 95% employment rate in six months so not worried at all:smile:
Reply 52
So what were saying is people who do non stem degrees waste 3 years of their life, and 27000 of their money only to be worse off afterwards???!!!

Damnn that's peak...
Reply 53
Has anyone seen the raw data rather than just the article? The figures appear to relate to graduates from first degrees. the figure that appears to be missing from the article is those that have gone on to further study.

Are these excluded from the figures or are they included in one of the categories, if so which?

Now it may be the figures are a fair representation but without the data it is fairly hard to tell. Statistics are only as good as their intended use.
Original post by Keyhofi

Can't move on this board without seeing 20 people from Surrey.
Original post by callum_law
Can't move on this board without seeing 20 people from Surrey.

You've got something against Surrey? :eek:
Original post by Keyhofi
You've got something against Surrey? :eek:

Hahah, no. Even the new Community Team member is from Surrey.
TSR is honestly part of the problem. Just look at their article guide:

"Think about what really does interest you. If you walk into a Library, what subjects do you gravitate to? What really interests, fascinates and enthuses you? This bit is actually far more important than focusing on what job it might or might not lead to. Does that surprise you?"

No, no, no and once again no. This is pointless advice. I'm interested in Russian history and masturbating but these degrees won't get me anywhere in life. Your primary concern should be what kind of career you wish to take out as a result of your degree.

People will look at this advice and realise that they like History of Art, they pay 27 000 for the Uni and 13 000 for transport, food, rent and whatever else and they just plunged themselves into one twentieth of a million pounds of debt to do a degree that is useless to almost all employers in this country and the chances of paying off that debt are nil to nil.

Honestly, terrible advice. Just because you like something doesn't mean you should pursue it as a career. If you like something it is YOUR hobby. People are not interested in YOUR hobbies, they want THEIR products/services. If you are not able to produce what the economy or society wants, you are useless in the labour market.

So treat it as a hobby. Not a career.
Reply 58
Original post by SotonianOne
TSR is honestly part of the problem. Just look at their article guide:

"Think about what really does interest you. If you walk into a Library, what subjects do you gravitate to? What really interests, fascinates and enthuses you? This bit is actually far more important than focusing on what job it might or might not lead to. Does that surprise you?"

No, no, no and once again no. This is pointless advice. I'm interested in Russian history and masturbating but these degrees won't get me anywhere in life. Your primary concern should be what kind of career you wish to take out as a result of your degree.

People will look at this advice and realise that they like History of Art, they pay 27 000 for the Uni and 13 000 for transport, food, rent and whatever else and they just plunged themselves into one twentieth of a million pounds of debt to do a degree that is useless to almost all employers in this country and the chances of paying off that debt are nil to nil.

Honestly, terrible advice. Just because you like something doesn't mean you should pursue it as a career. If you like something it is YOUR hobby. People are not interested in YOUR hobbies, they want THEIR products/services. If you are not able to produce what the economy or society wants, you are useless in the labour market.

So treat it as a hobby. Not a career.

It has been a long time since I've read such a perfect response. Bravo Sir.
Reply 59
Original post by SotonianOne
I'm interested in Russian history and masturbating but these degrees won't get me anywhere in life.

You'd be surprised how far masturbating can get you....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending