Removing sidebar widgets

Watch this thread
Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hiya everyone,

Ever since we introduced the Notifications menu in the green bar at the top of the page, it has been our desire to make TSR a bit easier to use by de-cluttering it by removing the blue widgets on the right hand side of the page that double up on that green bar's functionality. Over the last year we've found people using the Notifications menu easily to navigate the forums.

So, over the coming fortnight we are going to:

1) Remove the Who quoted me widget (as all quotes are in the green menu - and can be accessed by scrolling or clicking the "See All" button)

2) Remove the Notifications widget (as all notifications are in the green menu too)

3) Remove the Meet the Community Widget from MyTSR / the homepage (no one really uses this)

4) Move the Support Team widget into the left hand content side of the page where people will actually read it (so at the foot each forum and thread)

5) Remove the Articles widget (it's not heavily used yet takes up valuable space on every page of the site)

6) Not the side bar, but we've also removed the birthdays area at the bottom of the Main All Forums page (this has already gone) - again, no one was really using this and if we were to have a birthday area, it should really be better than what was there.

If you still use the WQM and Notifications widgets, you might be panicking, but we've found that for those hardcore members who have switched those widgets off and trialed the site without them for a few weeks, the green Notifications menu offers everything people need. So having both, is unnecessarily making the site more complicated for people and detracting from Useful Resources, New on TSR etc.

It also brings the site more up to date in the age of mobile internet access where the side bars are less accessible anyway. Making the experience more consistent across all devices.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Jack
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I can't pretend I'm not disappointed to lose a couple of those, but I also can't argue that it does need a declutter. :/
Captain Jack
Rep:
(Original post by Champagne Supernova)
I can't pretend I'm not disappointed to lose a couple of those, but I also can't argue that it does need a declutter. :/
It's always hard to actually remove things. But when you do, it's usually good.

I should know, I've just had to throw out loads of stuff at home. I pained over everything but now it's gone, I'm glad it has!
PQ
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Are these going from MyTSR? Because that seems a bit of a shame. I'm totally in favour of losing them from the every page view but I do use the sidebar on MyTSR. (Especially the articles one - given that updates to my watchlist don't trigger a notification - it's the easiest way to spot vandalism/ lost posters).
Champagne Supernova
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Captain Jack)
It's always hard to actually remove things. But when you do, it's usually good.

I should know, I've just had to throw out loads of stuff at home. I pained over everything but now it's gone, I'm glad it has!
Yeah it's a classic case of "change is coming, down with everyone!" but it'll be forgotten about in less than a week.
secretmessages
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I don't fully understand. Is the whole sidebar going? Or just a selection of widgets from the sidebar?

Is the WQM widget being decommissioned completely, i.e. on My TSR as well? Or is it just disappearing from the sidebar in forums/threads etc.?
Captain Jack
Rep:
(Original post by secretmessages)
I don't fully understand. Is the whole sidebar going? Or just a selection of widgets from the sidebar?

Is the WQM widget being decommissioned completely, i.e. on My TSR as well? Or is it just disappearing from the sidebar in forums/threads etc.?
Just a selection. And yes, completely decommissioned.
secretmessages
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Just a selection. And yes, completely decommissioned.
Is the widget difficult to maintain? I'll miss having it (on the homepage at least) and don't personally see the problem having it as an option for people to enable as they please.

If the whole-site sidebar is becoming less customisable then it would be a good idea to give us the option to turn it off completely. I still have two discussion widgets next to each other.

P.S. You might want to find a new home for /quoted.php because the only link to that currently exists in the WQM widget to my knowledge (unless you're canning that page too).

P.P.S. What happened to the user menu that scrolled with you as you scrolled down the screen? It was temporarily reverted because it was buggy, but that was cool, and I think it would combine well with the new changes.
Captain Jack
Rep:
(Original post by secretmessages)
Is the widget difficult to maintain? I'll miss having it (on the homepage at least) and don't personally see the problem having it as an option for people to enable as they please.

If the whole-site sidebar is becoming less customisable then it would be a good idea to give us the option to turn it off completely. I still have two discussion widgets next to each other.

P.S. You might want to find a new home for /quoted.php because the only link to that currently exists in the WQM widget to my knowledge (unless you're canning that page too).

P.P.S. What happened to the user menu that scrolled with you as you scrolled down the screen? It was temporarily reverted because it was buggy, but that was cool, and I think it would combine well with the new changes.
We need to cut down on having different versions of things for different people - TSR is chaotic and hard enough to produce new products for as it is, so I'm afraid it does have to go completely. I haven't used those widgets for over a year now and haven't had a problem and I know other heavy users have had the same experience so it's definitely a move in the right direction, especially for simplification and consistency. Also, we have plans to let people personalise TSR much more in line with lot of requests from member and mods. Stay tuned on that front as we have no idea what that'll look like yet, we need to research what students need and want more. But it means we need to free up space for those for everyone. Not that we want the same amount of 'stuff' again.

We can't remove the side bar because of the items that would remain. I'm not personally keen on that either as it would stretch the readable areas beyond the norm for comfortable reading.

Menu - I agree, I was the main driver of that project and would love it back. It had performance issues though and I don't think I can yet justify the time internally to make it work. I'm sure we will come back to it eventually though as we all loved it as much as members.
heybaby
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Great! More room for Ad Space!
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I find that often the notifications one tells me about post repost updates whist the top bar doesn't always.
Also I liked the wiki update one. The wiki's can be hard to navigate but that keeps me up to date on all the latest changes.

Lastly I always used meet the co unit as a way to find new people who were active so I'm most upset about losing that. I found a lot of my TSR friends thanks to that widget.
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
So long as we're not losing watched threads and the rep widget I'll personally be able to live with this - and a few of the the widgets aren't really that useful anyway - but I'll be sad to lose WQM in particular.
mr tim
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Guess I'm going to get used to having no WQM.

Also in the notifications in the top bar, I think it'll be a good idea to filter it out when you view all notifications to things like "quotes", "post reports etc"
Illusionary
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mr tim)
Guess I'm going to get used to having no WQM.

Also in the notifications in the top bar, I think it'll be a good idea to filter it out when you view all notifications to things like "quotes", "post reports etc"
Good suggestion. :yy:
heybaby
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Does the removal of the rep widget mean I won't know who repped me?
Illusionary
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by heybaby)
Does the removal of the rep widget mean I won't know who repped me?
Fortunately, I think (and certainly hope!) that that one's staying put.
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Guys could you please give us the option to use a who quoted me sidebar widget? As well as (actually, especially) to have it on the home page? I personally make extensive use of it to skip to threads I've posted in recently, rather than root through the overcrowded and generally less relevant and useful 'watched threads' bit, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Having to go through a menu is going to make the whole process of using the site much less fluid and easy.

edit: alternative suggestion: please give us the option to make the hover-over drop down from the notifications button longer, so we don't have to click into a separate menu to see a longer list. That for me would pretty much solve the problem.
PQ
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
Guys could you please give us the option to use a who quoted me sidebar widget? As well as (actually, especially) to have it on the home page? I personally make extensive use of it to skip to threads I've posted in recently, rather than root through the overcrowded and generally less relevant and useful 'watched threads' bit, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Having to go through a menu is going to make the whole process of using the site much less fluid and easy.
edit: alternative suggestion: please give us the option to make the hover-over drop down from the notifications button longer, so we don't have to click into a separate menu to see a longer list. That for me would pretty much solve the problem.
I wouldn't expect a response unless you quote/tag in a CT member. They don't monitor watched threads only notifications as far as I can tell.
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
I wouldn't expect a response unless you quote/tag in a CT member. They don't monitor watched threads only notifications as far as I can tell.
Will do, thanks
heybaby
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
You can 'scroll' the notifications bar past the first immediate 6 notifications. Mine goes as far back as 6 days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (146)
42.2%
Not yet, but I will soon (63)
18.21%
No (137)
39.6%

Watched Threads