The Student Room Group

Translational Medicine offered by Imperial College or King's College

Dear all,

I would like to study Master course in Translational Medicine. It's a course related to the development of pharmaceutical product. I have been offered MRes in Translational Medicine by Imperial College London and MSc in Translational Medicine by King's College London. I'm in dilemma in choosing which university to go. Could you share some advice that I should put into consideration when making this choice?

Thank you very much...
A research masters is likely more beneficial if you're hoping to go onto a PhD. Do you know what you'd like to do in future?
Reply 2
Original post by Going_To_California
A research masters is likely more beneficial if you're hoping to go onto a PhD. Do you know what you'd like to do in future?

I do intend to go into PhD but wondering whether I could secure a sponsorship for it later. Now I'm sponsored for the Master degree.

I have gone through the course structure of both colleges. ICL offers MRes (TM) with 2 written examiniation for 4 modules (20%), 1 assignments (10%) and 10000 words research project (70%). Whereas, KCL offers MSc with 6 modules, each has 3 assignments with 1 mcq (50%) and another half will be contributed by research project. Both colleges need laboratory based research projects.

Based on this, my thought is since both need laboratory works, so I should choose ICL which is more concentrated on this part? What else do I need to look into when choosing between these two colleges?

Thanks.
If you're wanting to do a PhD after, an MRes is a better bet.
Original post by wwmarx
I do intend to go into PhD but wondering whether I could secure a sponsorship for it later. Now I'm sponsored for the Master degree.

I have gone through the course structure of both colleges. ICL offers MRes (TM) with 2 written examiniation for 4 modules (20%), 1 assignments (10%) and 10000 words research project (70%). Whereas, KCL offers MSc with 6 modules, each has 3 assignments with 1 mcq (50%) and another half will be contributed by research project. Both colleges need laboratory based research projects.

Based on this, my thought is since both need laboratory works, so I should choose ICL which is more concentrated on this part? What else do I need to look into when choosing between these two colleges?

Thanks.

The ICL course seems more solid for a PhD as you'd be doing substantial and continued research. I think research masters offer different skills from those gained during undergraduate/ taught masters, so I'd go for the MRes.

Quick Reply