Investment banking A level grades (PLEASE ANSWER)

Watch this thread
Rock_99
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey everyone,

I am an international student student that has taken I.B instead of A levels. Right now, I go to university in the US and have a 3.9/4 GPA in Maths and Economics. My goal is to get a master in finance from the top schools in the UK in order to get an investment banking FO job in London. The problem is, my IB (International Bac) grades were terrible. I was predicted a 37 but got a 32. My question is, will my IB grades affect my chances at a banking job in London even though I am an international student studying in the US and planning to get a masters from a top school?

Do I even need to mention my high school grades on my application?

I would really appreciate some answers

Thanks,
AverageExcellence
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rock_99)
Hey everyone,

I am an international student student that has taken I.B instead of A levels. Right now, I go to university in the US and have a 3.9/4 GPA in Maths and Economics. My goal is to get a master in finance from the top schools in the UK in order to get an investment banking FO job in London. The problem is, my IB (International Bac) grades were terrible. I was predicted a 37 but got a 32. My question is, will my IB grades affect my chances at a banking job in London even though I am an international student studying in the US and planning to get a masters from a top school?

Thanks,
It would likely affect your applications to US unis since top ones are EXTREMELY difficult to get into even on the best of terms. But if you did get into a decent US uni then getting into a top masters place in the UK should be fairly easy (obviously on the assumption you perform very well at your degree there).
Rock_99
Rep:
(Original post by AverageExcellence)
It would likely affect your applications to US unis since top ones are EXTREMELY difficult to get into even on the best of terms. But if you did get into a decent US uni then getting into a top masters place in the UK should be fairly easy (obviously on the assumption you perform very well at your degree there).
Yes,like I said, my bachelors GPA is quite good (3.9/4). My worry is that Investment banks in the UK ask for 'A' level grades or equivalent. Do iBanks ask for high school grades from international students with a masters?

Thanks for replying BTW
Rock_99
Rep:
I just reread my post and it looks confusing.

My International baccalaureate are 32/45 (bad i know)
My university GPA in the us (3.9/4)

I want to apply to a masters in financeImage in the UK (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial etc.) to get an InvestmentImage banking job in London (M&A).

I want to know whether InvestmentImage banks will ask for my International baccalaureate grades?

I am also an international student.

Thanks
AverageExcellence
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I just reread my post and it looks confusing.

My International baccalaureate are 32/45 (bad i know)
My university GPA in the us (3.9/4)

I want to apply to a masters in financeImage in the UK (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial etc.) to get an InvestmentImage banking job in London (M&A).

I want to know whether InvestmentImage banks will ask for my International baccalaureate grades?

I am also an international student.

Thanks
Oh right i see, no you will be fine with that, I don't think they'll care about your prior grades though IB is widely used and accepted here alongside A levels so thats not a problem. If you got 3.9/4 then it should be fine. Which uni was it? if it has a good rep here you should walk in no swet.
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hey everyone,

Thanks,
As long as your qualifications hit the UCAS point boundary - usually 320-340 - you should be fine. Your IB points are equivalent to 435 UCAS points, I wouldn't worry about getting screened out.

Your UG GPA is above the threshold of usually 3.5-3.7; so well done on that front! All in all, give it a bash - you've got nothing to lose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username738914
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Lol, completely misread the OP, standard game from you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rock_99
Rep:
(Original post by Princepieman)
As long as your qualifications hit the UCAS point boundary - usually 320-340 - you should be fine. Your IB points are equivalent to 435 UCAS points, I wouldn't worry about getting screened out.

Your UG GPA is above the threshold of usually 3.5-3.7; so well done on that front! All in all, give it a bash - you've got nothing to lose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the response
AverageExcellence
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Lol, completely misread the OP, standard game from you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Considering OP acknowledged what he said was vague in the context, of which i gave him a more specific answer when he clarified, then there has been no harm done.

For somebody tooting his horn about ABB at Nottingham and having life Exp and being smarter than everyone else you sure are modest about it aren't you (sarcasm).
username738914
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Considering OP acknowledged what he said was vague in the context, of which i gave him a more specific answer when he clarified, then there has been no harm done.

For somebody tooting his horn about ABB at Nottingham and having life Exp and being smarter than everyone else you sure are modest about it aren't you (sarcasm).
Again, fair game from you mate. Love the wee punt at Notts as well - keep them coming.
AverageExcellence
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Again, fair game from you mate. Love the wee punt at Notts as well - keep them coming.
Nottingham is a good uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads