The Student Room Group

The Year in Industry (YINI)

All the previous year in industry threads seem to have died a death some time ago, so heres a new one for 2007...

just wondering if any1 else out there is planning on taking a YINI, and how far along they are with the whole thing. havnt got any interviews yet, but would be great to hear frm some ppl that have to get some idea bout what to expect...

also- to any1 already doing a yini- how hard was it to find accommodation?? how much help did u get in setting yourself up away from home? any advice you have would be rly great.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm applying for Yini for my gap year.
I have sent off my application, and been to the 'interview' with the Yini people themselves, but I haven't had any interviews with companies yet. At the moment it seems like nothing is happening, so I hope I hear something soon. I'm worried about not gettig a placement.
I'm hoping to get one close to home so I can live with my dad and save money.
Reply 2
kul, good to know i'm not the only one on here applying :wavey:...
how long ago was the interview thing with the yini ppl? i was kinda expecting to start receiving stuff from companies soon after that, so if its still gona be a long wait after the assessment event, i mite start applying to other schemes as well to get them on the go at the same time....
hope u hear some stuff soon
Reply 3
um...I think it was Octoberish. I don't really remember. But they did say that potential employers don't usually start interviewing until the January exams are over, so I guess that should be soon.
Reply 4
Another thing they told me last year was that most companies will wait until the start of the business year when they know their budget. Its apparently when the amount of interviews peak, which means it isnt necessarily beneficial to apply as early as possible.
Reply 5
I've had 2 offers so far, turned one down because it web devolpment and don't fancy that.

The other other was Sales person at some Jam factory downs south in a place called Tiperley or somert. Just waiting to see when they want me for an interview there.

Not even sure If I will accept any offers for a YINI year any more, just paid and took it to find out about it etc. If I get a really good offere Ill take it but recently been thinking about UNI and scared that if I take a YINI year out that I will never go back to education LOL
Reply 6
My YINI has convinced me I *definitely* want to go back into education, and never graduate. Working sucks. Having said that, I'd do my YINI again - met some great people and will actually have some money/work experience at the end of the year. Also likely my company will re employ me for bits and bobs, nice to have an opportunity for work on the side during the next couple of years.
Reply 7
will504
most companies will wait until the start of the business year when they know their budget.

any ideas roughly when that is? not up to speed with the whole business calendar...mayb i'm just being dense

tourist: great to hear from some1 who has already been through the whole thing (well, i wasnt sure from ur post whether u hav already finished or are part way thru... mayb i'm just being dense here too...). where was your placement (geographically & which company?), also what sort of things were you doing for them?
Reply 8
new business year is start of march. I THINK.

and ive had another 2 YINI places emailed to me today.
Reply 9
I had a telephone interview today, instead of going to one of those assessment day things. Are people planning to move away from home? I was hoping to stay with my parents?!
Reply 10
PurpleO
Are people planning to move away from home? I was hoping to stay with my parents?!

i'm planning to move away- dnt think i could stand another year at home. probs going cost me a good share of what i earn tho. but if i get an offer of a good job close to home then i might consider taking it.

Dannyc
ive had another 2 YINI places emailed to me today.

well done! if u dont mind me asking, what were they?
I have an interview with an Architect Firm on Tuesday. I know there is going to be competition from other yini people. haha
Reply 12
hiya
i just wanted to ask ppl who have applied for the yini gap year. i was confused in what actually happens on tht day....do we have proper interveiw with the yini staff...or is it tht they help us in sorting out ay problems we have have with interviews etc..
thanks
Reply 13
yeahyeahyeahs
I have an interview with an Architect Firm on Tuesday. I know there is going to be competition from other yini people. haha

How did it go?
wr3012
How did it go?

Did you get interviewed? it was really good. i spoke to another yini student who already works there and he was loving it. probably wont get it,since there is far too much competition: with about 7 people being interviewed.
Reply 15
yeahyeahyeahs
Did you get interviewed?

no, havent been sent any requests for me to come to any interviews (yet...:s-smilie: )
I had my telephone interview thing with Yini.. Went quite well I think!

They asked me for my first region of choice, and since I'm from N.Ireland I just randomly chose any place in England because I don't really know anywhere... fun fun! I can't wait to start!
Reply 17
If you mean the first face to face contact you've had with YINI:

You will go and have a mini interview with them in which they try to glean information from you that you haven't already put on your form. They'll then add this to your CV and explain to you a bit more about YINI.

Well that's what happened to me.
Reply 18
I was terrified but it was pretty simple. They showed us some information about YINI on the projector, most of wioch I'd seen before, in a small group (there were four of us applicants there, and two staff members). They offered us drinks, too. Then we had a short interview one-to-one, which was basically going over our application and helping us re-write it, getting more detail on things we hadn't been clear about, asking what kind of placement we wanted and what we expected to gain from it, etc. Then they gave us more information about what would happen next in the scheme and we went home. We got time to talk to the other applicants, too.
Reply 19
I’m on my YINI this year and it’s fantastic. Made some great friends (some of whom twice my age!), earning some good money, gaining invaluable experience and also matured greatly (or so I’ve been told). Great summer internships and graduate opportunities too, sponsorship if I’m lucky. But all the things the same I can’t wait ‘till I start university! I know understand the true value of money having earned it the hard way and I’ll be sure not to piss my student loan up the wall (providing I take one out that is).

I applied in late April 2006 (when I decided to take a gap year) and I think I had my first interview in the beginning of June after which tones of interviews started rolling in most of which I declined as they were either boring prospects or crap locations. All in all I think I had 4 interviews and my YINI was secured by early August. Year in Industry is the way forward!

Quick Reply

Latest