How to get ready for PhD course in September? Watch

Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello :wavey:

So I'm going to be a student again :awesome: However, I'm ...

1. Moving away from home for the first time
2. Have no idea where to start in terms of preparing to move and what I should bring with me to uni

This does sounds silly however is there some form of a list or something that I can do to help me map out what I should focus on completing for the next couple of months? And in addiiton, is there anything you recommend me completely avoiding in terms of mistakes?

Thanks
gutenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Before I started my postgraduate & moved out from home, I took the opportunity to do a huge clear-out of my possessions. I did a cull of clothes, shoes etc., as well as books in anticipation of the move. It helped massively when it came to lugging my stuff to my new place, as well as providing a kind of mental clear-out after my undergrad. I also did a sorting-out of notes etc., and got rid of things I knew I wouldn't need on my postgrad.

I think there's a helpful list of things to consider bringing to university here on TSR, but I would perhaps counsel that you wait until arriving in your new city before buying lots of kitchenware, cutlery, crockery etc. If you arrive with plenty of time, you can blitz charity shops, which often have plates, bowls etc. for very cheap, if you don't mind them being mismatched. You can also find cooking utensils there as well sometimes. Even if you didn't want to go down the charity-shop route, buying them when you get there could prove cheaper, depending on where you're moving to. I brought my own pillows from home as I'm used to them, but you'll need to decide about bringing a duvet with linens etc. versus buying one when you arrive.

These are just some random thoughts, but hopefully they'll help a bit in terms of getting you started in your preparations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.95%
No (181)
76.05%

Watched Threads