The Student Room Group

Is obesity in children child abuse? Australia thinks so.

Recently on Australia kids have been taken away from their parents for being severely obese.

Do you think this is the parents being negligent and abusive or is the government going overboard?

Scroll to see replies

erm letting them enjoy food and eating is hardly 'child abuse' Australians are a bunch of jobs worths.
Reply 3
Original post by karl pilkington
erm letting them enjoy food and eating is hardly 'child abuse' Australians are a bunch of jobs worths.

Surely overfeeding them to the point they're that fat and unhealthy is abuse?

You're killing them through kindness and ignorance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker

Posted from TSR Mobile

erm obesity only kills you when you agree much older also taking people kids away from them is just Nazism
Reply 5
erm obesity only kills you when you agree much older also taking people kids away from them is just Nazism

Obesity can kill you in your teens and twenties easily.

Heart attacks, high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol. Human body is not designed to be that fat.

Would you take the child away if they were starving it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're not getting fat they're bulking
''We are going to see more children in that [extreme] weight category and in some ways, yes, it's a failure of parents, but it also reflects a failure of society - that we could create a circumstance that would allow and encourage kids to overeat and under-exercise to such an extent that they get to that weight.''

Sort of agree with this in that it is a significant failure of society. Firstly society should give parents the information needed to provide a healthy upbringing, and secondly there is the problem of junk food being highly accepted in society and favorably and ubiquitously shown in things like advertising.

Think the article also mentioned that overweight children may be indicative of lack of care, rarely. Obesity on its own would not be suitable as a reason for... removing a child.

Really... isn't it a problem of parental education? Sounds like fobbing off to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But what happens, if you are feeding them, but they are snacking or where the child regularly goes through the cupboards to find food to eat. Losing weight takes time, the parents should've been provided with better support in how to deal with reducing their appetite and helping to introduce a gradual healthier lifestyle.
Original post by Iqbal007
But what happens, if you are feeding them, but they are snacking or where the child regularly goes through the cupboards to find food to eat. Losing weight takes time, the parents should've been provided with better support in how to deal with reducing their appetite and helping to introduce a gradual healthier lifestyle.

Its the parent's responsibility to control this sort of bad behaviour. I don't know about you but when I was a child we had rules in the house about what we could and couldn't do, and if we misbehaved we were punished.

If a parent can't control what their child is eating then they're a bad parent imo.
Reply 10
Yes, I think it is child abuse. Or sheer ignorance, neglection etc, etc. Either way, the child is in danger and the parents don't give a **** imo.
Original post by Bloxorus
Its the parent's responsibility to control this sort of bad behaviour. I don't know about you but when I was a child we had rules in the house about what we could and couldn't do, and if we misbehaved we were punished.

If a parent can't control what their child is eating then they're a bad parent imo.

I realise that........but some parents aren't these so called "good" parent.....some require support in how to manage and look after their kids, it may well be their first ever kid and of course its something new and something they need to learn. But support is vital to helping them bring up their children.

You also go to realise that kids do go looking for food, particularly the fatty and sugary kind...which kid didn't if they wanted some fizzy drink, chocolate, etc
Obesity can kill you in your teens and twenties easily.

Heart attacks, high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol. Human body is not designed to be that fat.

Would you take the child away if they were starving it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

erm no it can;t it is very rare for someone to die in their teens from obesity also twenties is irrelevant as you are no longer the responsibility of your parents
erm no it can;t it is very rare for someone to die in their teens from obesity also twenties is irrelevant as you are no longer the responsibility of your parents

Well it does. There was one in the news recently.

As the average life expectancy is 70+ years of yours is shortened to teens or twenty you're going to care even if you're no longer under their direct responsibility. You can't reset to a healthy weight at 18.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ALevelBro
They're not getting fat they're bulking

These pre teens don't have the test levels required to bulk bro. They should be eating clean and doing a mini bulk or definitely cutting tbh...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hellodave5
''We are going to see more children in that [extreme] weight category and in some ways, yes, it's a failure of parents, but it also reflects a failure of society - that we could create a circumstance that would allow and encourage kids to overeat and under-exercise to such an extent that they get to that weight.''

Sort of agree with this in that it is a significant failure of society. Firstly society should give parents the information needed to provide a healthy upbringing, and secondly there is the problem of junk food being highly accepted in society and favorably and ubiquitously shown in things like advertising.

Think the article also mentioned that overweight children may be indicative of lack of care, rarely. Obesity on its own would not be suitable as a reason for... removing a child.

Really... isn't it a problem of parental education? Sounds like fobbing off to me.

Tbh these parents have often eaten their whole life and remained a healthy weight and they grew up in a time with more physical exercise etc. They should know better.

I agree it's a lack of education for the parents but that's largely due to people just having kids on a whim whilst not being ready maybe? If you make this decision then you're enough of a grown up to educate yourself on basic nutrition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Iqbal007

You should be able to control your children. That's severe disobedience. Your children should be under enough control to not just do whatever they want

If they do then have less food in the cupboards or move it out of their reach or lock them. It's not tough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus

This. A parents responsibility is to control their children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes.

When I was on a child protection course a few months ago, we were discussing neglect. And a lot of people were suggesting being underweight as neglect, but the course leader said that neglect via obesity is much more common these days.

You are deliberately over feeding your child to the point where you are jeapordising their health, how is that not abuse?
Reply 19
Definitely counts as abuse, it is harming the child and since they aren't buying food themselves it is the parents fault.

Quick Reply

Latest