The Student Room Group

UCL Master's Funding

Hi all,

I've got an offer to study MA Gender, Society and Representation at UCL this year and have applied for both a Greenbank Scholarship and the Postgraduate Support Scheme. So far, UCL have been vague about when offers of funding will be given, saying variously mid June or end of June/beginning of July - has anyone here received an offer of funding from UCL yet or knows when I should assume that I haven't got funding?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asterope
Hi all,

I've got an offer to study MA Gender, Society and Representation at UCL this year and have applied for both a Greenbank Scholarship and the Postgraduate Support Scheme. So far, UCL have been vague about when offers of funding will be given, saying variously mid June or end of June/beginning of July - has anyone here received an offer of funding from UCL yet or knows when I should assume that I haven't got funding?

Slightly unrelated question. I'm looking to apply to UCL this year for a masters. My question is, on the basis of the course that you applied for, how difficult do you think it is/was to get an offer from UCL. (Considering your University, grades, personal statement and references).
Hi all,

My daughter's doing a master now there and she got a scholarship (but not support funding). The memory's a bit vague now but I remember at the time of her graduation from her university (Not UCL. Exactly one year ago tomorrow), she didn't know if she'd got the scholarship or not. But she is in a different school/department from yours and the scholarship she got was a special commemorative one only available last year, so not sure if this info will be any help for you.
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Slightly unrelated question. I'm looking to apply to UCL this year for a masters. My question is, on the basis of the course that you applied for, how difficult do you think it is/was to get an offer from UCL. (Considering your University, grades, personal statement and references).

Which course?
Original post by vincrows
Which course?

Something along the lines of Legal and Political Theory or Public Policy.
Something along the lines of Legal and Political Theory or Public Policy.

That's completely different subject from my daughter (Planning/Built Environment), so I don't know if this is useful for you or not, but the general entry requirement for her course was 2.1 or higher from UK universities with a reference from your DoS/tutor.
But I think it'll might be different from course to course, so you'd better contact the admission office of the department/faculty you're applying.
Reply 6

I got an offer three days after submitting my application so I think I'd have to say that it was pretty easy. That said, I applied while in my final year at Cambridge (I've just graduated with a degree in English) and had achieved a first in my second year exams, so my experience is probably somewhat atypical. My personal statement was fairly straightforward and focused, and I'm pretty sure my references were strong. I also had extracurricular activities/experience related to the master's course, which was probably helpful.
Reply 7
Original post by vincrows
My daughter's doing a master now there and she got a scholarship (but not support funding). The memory's a bit vague now but I remember at the time of her graduation from her university (Not UCL. Exactly one year ago tomorrow), she didn't know if she'd got the scholarship or not. But she is in a different school/department from yours and the scholarship she got was a special commemorative one only available last year, so not sure if this info will be any help for you.

Thanks for your response! I've been told by friends at UCL that the reply will probably be quite late - the problem is simply that I don't even know what constitutes late for UCL!
Thanks for your response! I've been told by friends at UCL that the reply will probably be quite late - the problem is simply that I don't even know what constitutes late for UCL!

A few of her friends from university applied for scholarships for their masters' courses at Oxford and LSE, and they knew they got theirs well before my daughter heard from UCL about hers. But when she applied, they told us she'd hear the result by certain time (which I can't remember when. Sorry) and she did definitely heard from them before that but only by one or two days.
(edited 8 years ago)
I got an offer three days after submitting my application so I think I'd have to say that it was pretty easy. That said, I applied while in my final year at Cambridge (I've just graduated with a degree in English) and had achieved a first in my second year exams, so my experience is probably somewhat atypical. My personal statement was fairly straightforward and focused, and I'm pretty sure my references were strong. I also had extracurricular activities/experience related to the master's course, which was probably helpful.

Lol my daughter was at Cambridge too. Different subject though.
How easy/difficult to be accepted would,I think, depends quite a lot on how popular the course is. Even though it says the entry requirement for their course is 2.1 on their website, they told her most of successful applicants have a first and/or some years experience in the industry because it's very popular course.
Original post by kyuri
I don't think it's difficult to get an offer from UCL, if you truly show the enthusiasm in the course you applied for and you've shown them why you really want to do MA and obviously why at UCL. I failed one of my whole units in my second year and other modules didn't go too well as well. One was below 50 and the others were around 60s. But I still had an offer because of my personal statement and because my references were strong. I achieved 76 percent in one of my half unit during the third year, so they probably saw some potential in me there that I can achieve 2:1 to do MA in the end. Anyway, I always thought UCL considers only about best marks and it is difficult to get in. You probably are in better position than me regards to the marks. Just make sure you yourself know clearly the reasons why you want to study MA and your degree at UCL, and you'll get the offer!

Not every course is as easy to get accepted as that. All depend on how popular it is. UCL is a huge uni, you can't brush everything with s broad brush like that.
Reply 11
Original post by kyuri
I applied for the Greenbank Scholarship too. I assume we will know by the beginning of July because apparently last year the Greenbank Scholarship was the last one that they were giving out.

I've just heard for the Postgraduate Support Scheme, so hopefully the Greenbank will be soon!
Reply 12
Did you hear from Greenbank? I applied to that one
Reply 13
Original post by fio01
Did you hear from Greenbank? I applied to that one

Not yet, but I emailed the funding office yesterday to ask if it's been given out yet.
Original post by kyuri
I don't think it's difficult to get an offer from UCL, if you truly show the enthusiasm in the course you applied for and you've shown them why you really want to do MA and obviously why at UCL. I failed one of my whole units in my second year and other modules didn't go too well as well. One was below 50 and the others were around 60s. But I still had an offer because of my personal statement and because my references were strong. I achieved 76 percent in one of my half unit during the third year, so they probably saw some potential in me there that I can achieve 2:1 to do MA in the end. Anyway, I always thought UCL considers only about best marks and it is difficult to get in. You probably are in better position than me regards to the marks. Just make sure you yourself know clearly the reasons why you want to study MA and your degree at UCL, and you'll get the offer!

Can you tell us please what you've studied and what you are going to study at UCL? Congratulations btw on getting accepted! Im hoping to apply next year, too or perhaps wait one more year until I have some more work experiences.
Reply 15
Apparently the Greenbank will be awarded before the 31st July - I can't believe how long this is taking!
has anyone heard yet from the awards? It's 31st July and my boyfriend is still waiting on tenterhooks hoping he gets in! Can't believe that appplicants have to wait so long to hear back on this..
Sailing in the same boat! Anybody received any communication regarding scholarships ?
I recall some old posts from last year. Postgraduate Support Scheme Scholarships notification went out in beginning of August. It was very late and some people had to wait for last minute actions (handing work notice, finding housing, move).

Original post by zebrazebrazebra
has anyone heard yet from the awards? It's 31st July and my boyfriend is still waiting on tenterhooks hoping he gets in! Can't believe that appplicants have to wait so long to hear back on this..
Thanks for letting me know. That's crazy that the deadline is meant to be 31st July and that it may be later. If anyone else hears back/doesn't hear back, let me know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending