The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Student accommodation or live at home?

I'm going to be starting my first year at UoG in September and my original plan had been to live at home but now I'm having second thoughts! I thought it would be cheaper for my parents, but I've since been thinking about everything I will miss out on by living at home and my parents are willing to look into student accommodation. I'm quite introverted and am worried about making friends at uni, so I think being forced to do so in halls would make life easier for me.

I live about a 30 min drive from UoG but about an hour on the bus/subway. I'm not sure but I think this is too close to be guaranteed accommodation. I've already sent away my SAAS application, stating that I would be living at home and wouldn't need the full loan amount. Staying at home seemed like the obvious choice because of the distance but now I think it might be worth it to move into halls?

Have I left it too late to change my mind? SHOULD I change my mind? I really don't know what to do :frown: Any advice will be appreciated.
Original post by isabelles
I'm going to be starting my first year at UoG in September and my original plan had been to live at home but now I'm having second thoughts! I thought it would be cheaper for my parents, but I've since been thinking about everything I will miss out on by living at home and my parents are willing to look into student accommodation. I'm quite introverted and am worried about making friends at uni, so I think being forced to do so in halls would make life easier for me.

I live about a 30 min drive from UoG but about an hour on the bus/subway. I'm not sure but I think this is too close to be guaranteed accommodation. I've already sent away my SAAS application, stating that I would be living at home and wouldn't need the full loan amount. Staying at home seemed like the obvious choice because of the distance but now I think it might be worth it to move into halls?

Have I left it too late to change my mind? SHOULD I change my mind? I really don't know what to do :frown: Any advice will be appreciated.

It's a very personal choice. However, I stayed at home for two years commuting to UoG, lived in private rented accommodation near UoG for two years, and then did one year's postgrad at Leeds (obviously in private rented accommodation). Out of the three, I much preferred student life outside my own city for the sense of adventure and discovery. At UoG, I preferred living in private accommodation for all its trials and tribulations - it made getting involved in things so much easier.

I definitely think you should move out - every experience can only be a good thing, increase your confidence, and help you learn something about yourself (whether it turns out to be a positive or negative experience!). Also consider if there's any courses you'd like at a different city if you'd like to move away. Personally I really don't get the culture within Glasgow of staying at home to go to uni: to me, that completely misses the point of university.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by roadtripboy
It's a very personal choice. However, I stayed at home for two years commuting to UoG, lived in private rented accommodation near UoG for two years, and then did one year's postgrad at Leeds (obviously in private rented accommodation). Out of the three, I much preferred student life outside my own city for the sense of adventure and discovery. At UoG, I preferred living in private accommodation for all its trials and tribulations - it made getting involved in things so much easier.

I definitely think you should move out - every experience can only be a good thing, increase your confidence, and help you learn something about yourself (whether it turns out to be a positive or negative experience!). Also consider if there's any courses you'd like at a different city if you'd like to move away. Personally I really don't get the culture within Glasgow of staying at home to go to uni: to me, that completely misses the point of university.

Thanks a lot for the advice!!

I decided yesterday to just apply and see what happens, but I'm really starting to think I'll definitely accept an offer of accommodation if I get one! I really do want to get involved in uni life as much as I can.

If I wasn't a Scottish student I definitely would have applied for universities far away! But I couldn't pass up a free degree, so I think I, too, will do a postgrad elsewhere if I can :smile:

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks a lot for the advice!!

I decided yesterday to just apply and see what happens, but I'm really starting to think I'll definitely accept an offer of accommodation if I get one! I really do want to get involved in uni life as much as I can.
Good for you - good luck and have a blast!

If I wasn't a Scottish student I definitely would have applied for universities far away! But I couldn't pass up a free degree, so I think I, too, will do a postgrad elsewhere if I can :smile:

Edinburgh? Stirling? Dundee? Aberdeen? St Andrews? Not all Scottish universities (offering degrees for the same cost) are in Glasgow :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by roadtripboy
Good for you - good luck and have a blast!

Edinburgh? Stirling? Dundee? Aberdeen? St Andrews? Not all Scottish universities (offering degrees for the same cost) are in Glasgow :wink:

Thank you :smile:

I've visited 3/5 of those unis and just didn't like any of them as much as Glasgow! In fact, I absolutely hated St Andrews the week I spent at their summer school was the longest week of my life! Edinburgh came close, but in the end the course at Glasgow just appealed to me more than at Edinburgh, and I was shocked to get into somewhere that prestigious with below the entry requirements. The distance is just coincidence, really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you :smile:

I've visited 3/5 of those unis and just didn't like any of them as much as Glasgow! In fact, I absolutely hated St Andrews the week I spent at their summer school was the longest week of my life! Edinburgh came close, but in the end the course at Glasgow just appealed to me more than at Edinburgh, and I was shocked to get into somewhere that prestigious with below the entry requirements. The distance is just coincidence, really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your name?? What course are u doin?? I would like to get to know as many people goin to glasgow as possible
Reply 6
Original post by schoolgirl1234
What's your name?? What course are u doin?? I would like to get to know as many people goin to glasgow as possible

Hi, I just saw your post on another forum and messaged you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's cool lol, pretty sure i replied to u!!xx
Reply 8
That's cool lol, pretty sure i replied to u!!xx

I haven't gotten a message, are you sure?x

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah, or if not let's just talk on here lol, wanna go to fresher's together??xxx
Reply 10
yeah, or if not let's just talk on here lol, wanna go to fresher's together??xxx

I'm moving out so I'll be halls but I'd be happy to meet you there! What's your name & what are you studying?xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll meet and make you're own friends at uni..... & Trust me in those first few weeks you won't even have time to stop and think! So you really don't need to worry about making friends beforehand or being nervous, it will be a great experience and you will meet so many new people :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My name's Roseanna n I'm studying Psychology!! I'd be happy to meet u n ur flatmates lol cos i know no one in first year only second and third etc etc n i hope i have a great time either way xx
Reply 13
My name's Roseanna n I'm studying Psychology!! I'd be happy to meet u n ur flatmates lol cos i know no one in first year only second and third etc etc n i hope i have a great time either way xx

I'm Isabelle (or Issy) and I'm studying psych too!! I only know 1 person in first year but he's not a friend. I'm sure we'll meet loads of new people, though! I'm really excited to meet my roommate and more people on our course xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know, the whole thing's so exciting xxx
Hi Guys!

If you're worried about moving out but you still want those home comforts take a look at 333 Bath Street, we're right in the bustling heart of Glasgow and have loads of great features that will make it feel like a home away from home. If you'd like to come see us in person just come down for a viewing and we'll answer any questions you might have :smile:

http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/glasgow/333-bath-street

Have a great day! :smile:

Callum B

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending