Need help with Subject choices for sixthform?

Watch
zh.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have recently finished year 11 and I am planning to go to William Morris Sixth form . Course guidance was yesterday - What do you think of these AS and A-level subject choices ? AQA Sociology ( i studied this for GCSE too) , OCR English Literature , AQA Business Studies (also studied this in GCSE) and Media Studies . Can anyone give me any advice and tell me how i can be more prepared for these subjects beforehand or what is a bad choice.
ivybridge
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zh.)
I have recently finished year 11 and I am planning to go to William Morris Sixth form . Course guidance was yesterday - What do you think of these AS and A-level subject choices ? AQA Sociology ( i studied this for GCSE too) , OCR English Literature , AQA Business Studies (also studied this in GCSE) and Media Studies . Can anyone give me any advice and tell me how i can be more prepared for these subjects beforehand or what is a bad choice.
What are your future plans? Like, university-wise.
mjrd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zh.)
What are you thinking of doing in uni and as a career? Eng is a facilitating subject but the rest are not, business and media are seen as very soft subjects.
ifyouseelaura
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I were you I'd swap at least one of business / media for another more traditional subject like english. If you want to go to university, having two or more traditional, academic a levels will make your application much stronger. What about something like history or geography, a language or maths? All of these would leave many more doors open.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lots of sensible TSR advice about choosing A level subjects here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...-form_subjects
zh.
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjrd)
What are you thinking of doing in uni and as a career? Eng is a facilitating subject but the rest are not, business and media are seen as very soft subjects.
But i would like to study business in university . And i'm not sure what else i could study ? I'm not good at and don't enjoy maths or humanties or sciences
zh.
Rep:
?
(Original post by ifyouseelaura)
If I were you I'd swap at least one of business / media for another more traditional subject like english. If you want to go to university, having two or more traditional, academic a levels will make your application much stronger. What about something like history or geography, a language or maths? All of these would leave many more doors open.
But i am not good at these subjects and don't see myself doing very well in them?
zh.
Rep:
?
(Original post by ivybridge)
What are your future plans? Like, university-wise.
To study business and maybe English Lit depending how well i do in A-level
mjrd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zh.)
But i would like to study business in university . And i'm not sure what else i could study ? I'm not good at and don't enjoy maths or humanties or sciences
Well if you want to do business you might be ok. You have eng as a facilitating subject. You could always give the unis a quick ring and just check but as it is business you should be fine. Good luck.
Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
English is excellent. Consider history, it will help, plus goes really well with english. Don't hold yourself back if you feel you're not good at something, hard work can change anything. You might surprise yourself, A level is very different to GCSE. Choose whatever you enjoy most. If you can, try and do RE? Not facilitating, but still respected and requires similar skills to E. lit. Good luck
zh.
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjrd)
Well if you want to do business you might be ok. You have eng as a facilitating subject. You could always give the unis a quick ring and just check but as it is business you should be fine. Good luck.
Thank you so much
zh.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Big Blue Machine)
English is excellent. Consider history, it will help, plus goes really well with english. Don't hold yourself back if you feel you're not good at something, hard work can change anything. You might surprise yourself, A level is very different to GCSE. Choose whatever you enjoy most. If you can, try and do RE? Not facilitating, but still respected and requires similar skills to E. lit. Good luck
Thanks alot , much appreciated
EmileeR
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm also planning to attend William Morris Sixth form!
Do you know anyone else who's going or is it just you?
I know absolutely know one who's going so find it interesting, not trying to be creepy ahaaa
emalouise_96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did AQA Sociology, and it was fairly enjoyable but I also feel it was a huge waste of my time and I could've picked a subject so much more useful. There's a LOT of content to the course too, and requires a lot of revision and a lot of practice essays in order to get the structure right, but I didn't do it at GCSE so I guess you have a bit of an advantage. As for it being a waste of my time, I had no intention of doing it at uni, I chose it because I didn't get the grade required for A level Chemistry and my other choice was Art, which I didn't want to do. Sociology just gives a better understanding of the world I suppose, even if it is mostly theorised, it's not really very useful for anything. Subjects like Business and English can be pretty useful, Business lets you understand things used in everyday life and English with language skills and so on. Media allows a creative outlet and is very useful if you wanted to go into any kind of media related career or uni course! I would consider rethinking Sociology but if you don't really have any other choices like my situation, then it's quite interesting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads