ScallyWag96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'd like to find out which is the better choice in terms of facilities, privacy, safety, social aspects etc... between the accommodation at Queen Mary and Scape just across the road. I seem to be very torn between the two. Is Scape worth the extra expense ?

Many Thanks
holly_1994
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
QM is probably better in terms of campus feel, but Scape is literally across the road, so you would practically be living on campus anyway. QM accommodation isn't as pretty as Scape, even if you choose France House (where I stayed) at the highest price. Scape costs a lot more, but campus halls have a more campus-y feel. I would definitely say that you should try to get accommodation on campus and, failing that, Scape. You can always live in Scape for 2nd/3rd year if you wanted to, remember.

Privacy-wise, QM halls are super-private. The cleaner only has access to the shared kitchen (and bathroom if you're in cheaper halls) in the mornings, and no one checks your room on a regular basis. Every now and then you'll get an email to tell you they are checking the in-room fridges, or the carpets, etc. but you are left alone for the most part.

Campus is relatively safe, and I'd assume Scape would be pretty much the same. The most annoying thing about QM halls is the constant threat that the fire alarm will go off at 2/3 am, which it often does if people are smoking, etc. A lot of people at QM live in Scape, so there are plenty of social opportunities. Most of these people only live in Scape if they were rejected for halls on campus, though.

QM halls, overall, are pretty good for student digs, to be honest. Try to get accommodation on campus if you can, because it will round off your first year experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (66)
4.61%
Uncertainty around my education (221)
15.43%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (155)
10.82%
Lack of purpose or motivation (204)
14.25%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (62)
4.33%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (83)
5.8%
Loneliness (128)
8.94%
Financial worries (49)
3.42%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (65)
4.54%
Exposure to negative news/social media (68)
4.75%
Lack of real life entertainment (74)
5.17%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (124)
8.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (133)
9.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed