The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wow this is nice laid back maths... Today I was trying to work out the set of values for which x^3 > 1/x
Reply 21
i had no idea there was already an answer! LOL
Reply 22
gemma
Thank you that makes so much sense....although i don't think i could do it in an exam! Have you got any tips on what to do? Is it just trying to get the X out as much as possible by multilpying and dividin bla bla

Well when I was doing GCSE I think thats the hardest I did, which is still not all that bad. The main thing when you have fractions like this is to remember there's gonna be factorising and brackets in there somewhere almost all the time, as samdavyson said.

As a hard and fast rule, there's nothing really I can do to help with rearranging. If you're really stuck, approach it from all sides, try doing all the junk you can. :biggrin:

Bigfooty
Hi my question is List all the solutions of the inequality 4<2n<=11 where n is an integer - if anybody knows how to do this I will very grateful Cheers

Alright firstly u need to split it up into 2 equations:

4<2n & 2n<=11

Then you solve them one at a time:

2<n & n<=11/2

Then you put them together, and it requires a little bit of thought:

2<n<=11/2

And thats the solution :smile:.

Oh yeah I just noticed Gemma did it. You're almost correct Gemma, but there's one tiny mistake. They never said that n had to be a whole number, so it can be any number between 2 and 5.5, i.e. 2.1, 2.7865. 5.49999 etc

Mweh i just noticed now samdavyson did it as well . . oh well. :rolleyes:
Reply 23
Spy_Lord
Well when I was doing GCSE I think thats the hardest I did, which is still not all that bad. The main thing when you have fractions like this is to remember there's gonna be factorising and brackets in there somewhere almost all the time, as samdavyson said.

As a hard and fast rule, there's nothing really I can do to help with rearranging. If you're really stuck, approach it from all sides, try doing all the junk you can. :biggrin:

Alright firstly u need to split it up into 2 equations:

4<2n & 2n<=11

Then you solve them one at a time:

2<n & n<=11/2

Then you put them together, and it requires a little bit of thought:

2<n<=11/2

And thats the solution :smile:.

Oh yeah I just noticed Gemma did it. You're almost correct Gemma, but there's one tiny mistake. They never said that n had to be a whole number, so it can be any number between 2 and 5.5, i.e. 2.1, 2.7865. 5.49999 etc

Mweh i just noticed now samdavyson did it as well . . oh well. :rolleyes:

Didn't it say it had to be an integer? Whereby N is an integer?
I know i was working it out and poste dit and samdavyson had done it..oh well the shame! LOl
Reply 24
gemma
Didn't it say it had to be an integer? Whereby N is an integer?

Ummm oops . . :confused:
Reply 25
Spy_Lord
Ummm oops . . :confused:

Surprised i noticed that myself....so are you doing GCSE or a levels or what?LOL
Reply 26
My answer was right wasn't it?
Reply 27
samdavyson
My answer was right wasn't it?

Yes! You always are right - i've noticed. No there was a slight disagreement over the integer thing. I said N was whole numbers.whereas the other person..(forgot - sorry) didn't notcie it asked only for whole numbers LOl
Reply 28
gemma.....
Yes! You always are right - i've noticed. No there was a slight disagreement over the integer thing. I said N was whole numbers.whereas the other person..(forgot - sorry) didn't notcie it asked only for whole numbers LOl

I see.

Latest