Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Wow this is nice laid back maths... Today I was trying to work out the set of values for which x^3 > 1/x

ReputationRep:
    i had no idea there was already an answer! LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma)
    Thank you that makes so much sense....although i don't think i could do it in an exam! Have you got any tips on what to do? Is it just trying to get the X out as much as possible by multilpying and dividin bla bla
    Well when I was doing GCSE I think thats the hardest I did, which is still not all that bad. The main thing when you have fractions like this is to remember there's gonna be factorising and brackets in there somewhere almost all the time, as samdavyson said.

As a hard and fast rule, there's nothing really I can do to help with rearranging. If you're really stuck, approach it from all sides, try doing all the junk you can.

(Original post by Bigfooty)
    Hi my question is List all the solutions of the inequality 4<2n<=11 where n is an integer - if anybody knows how to do this I will very grateful Cheers
    Alright firstly u need to split it up into 2 equations:

4<2n & 2n<=11

Then you solve them one at a time:

2<n & n<=11/2

Then you put them together, and it requires a little bit of thought:

2<n<=11/2

And thats the solution .

Oh yeah I just noticed Gemma did it. You're almost correct Gemma, but there's one tiny mistake. They never said that n had to be a whole number, so it can be any number between 2 and 5.5, i.e. 2.1, 2.7865. 5.49999 etc

Mweh i just noticed now samdavyson did it as well . . oh well. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spy_Lord)
    Well when I was doing GCSE I think thats the hardest I did, which is still not all that bad. The main thing when you have fractions like this is to remember there's gonna be factorising and brackets in there somewhere almost all the time, as samdavyson said.

As a hard and fast rule, there's nothing really I can do to help with rearranging. If you're really stuck, approach it from all sides, try doing all the junk you can.

Alright firstly u need to split it up into 2 equations:

4<2n & 2n<=11

Then you solve them one at a time:

2<n & n<=11/2

Then you put them together, and it requires a little bit of thought:

2<n<=11/2

And thats the solution .

Oh yeah I just noticed Gemma did it. You're almost correct Gemma, but there's one tiny mistake. They never said that n had to be a whole number, so it can be any number between 2 and 5.5, i.e. 2.1, 2.7865. 5.49999 etc

Mweh i just noticed now samdavyson did it as well . . oh well. :rolleyes:
    Didn't it say it had to be an integer? Whereby N is an integer?
    I know i was working it out and poste dit and samdavyson had done it..oh well the shame! LOl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma)
    Didn't it say it had to be an integer? Whereby N is an integer?
    Ummm oops . . :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spy_Lord)
    Ummm oops . . :confused:
    Surprised i noticed that myself....so are you doing GCSE or a levels or what?LOL

ReputationRep:
    My answer was right wasn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    My answer was right wasn't it?
    Yes! You always are right - i've noticed. No there was a slight disagreement over the integer thing. I said N was whole numbers.whereas the other person..(forgot - sorry) didn't notcie it asked only for whole numbers LOl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma.....)
    Yes! You always are right - i've noticed. No there was a slight disagreement over the integer thing. I said N was whole numbers.whereas the other person..(forgot - sorry) didn't notcie it asked only for whole numbers LOl
    I see.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 1, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.