Are uni relationships better?

Watch
SleepPerchance
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I find myself wondering whether uni relationships, particularly with someone on your course, are better than relationships during a gap year/once out at work?

Is it made all thee more fun/stable due to having numerous shared friendships, perhaps a mutual friendship group, lots to talk about in terms of courses and just the familiarity of having someone you trust to that extent in that environment/someone you can party with and go home with every night?

Conversely, when both partners are say, out at work many hours of the day and don't share friendship groups does this make a relationship less stable or enjoyable?

I suppose on the flip side, one is more likely to get to know a partner's family in the home environment, leading to closeness, and perhaps sharing a freindship group/course would get boring? What do you all think?
Welsh Locs
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well there are a few pros and cons I can think of,

You get in a relationship with someone on your course, you share friends and everything is great. You could even say it will never get any better. However if it goes bad then it could get really bad. Bad blood could result in causing a rift in your friendship circle, making it awkward not just for you and your ex but for your friends.

And they will ALWAYS be around if they don't drop out. Constantly reminded of the situation by their precense. I imagine it would be very distracting in what should be a place for your education not love life.

Then there is the odd case where you get close to someone you live with in halls and have a relationship. While I know some people that have had this happen to them and they're doing great together, it's also potentially a disaster. You may feel like this person is the best person you've ever met for a couple of months but after living with them from the beginning of your friendships existence the relationship may become strained, and can cause big drama. Moving accommodation isn't that hard to do at most places though really.

Then there is the summer you have to remember. This may not apply so much if you live nearby to each other, but if not then it can become a temporary long distance relationship which is another thing entirely to speculate.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think uni is quite an intense environment for a relationship. Although I would have liked one in hindsight I see some advantage in remaining single.
HygieneTherapy15
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
Report 5 years ago
Generally speaking, no.

But then again, it can work out. I dont think they last though. So, if your not serious and just looking for sex and company then sure you're going to love uni.

Im sure there are guys and girls that are a bit more serious, but theyre a rare specie.
Plumstone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think that it's the attraction and compatibility between the people which determines the success of the relationship, rather than when or where it happens.

I met my boyfriend before I went to university, stayed with him whilst I was at university, and now I'm living with him. I'm happiest now because I love living with him and we get to see each other all the time (at least when he's not at work...)

Other people will have different experiences, but I agree with Welsh Locs - if a uni relationship goes bad, it could cause a lot of problems.
cindelight
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was just wondering, because my boyfriend is looking to move into private accommodation with me next year (he has an apprenticeship in our hometown), whether you and your boyfriend lived together while you were at university? A lot of obstacles keep cropping up, such as the uncertainty with council tax if we were to rent an apartment in a non-university owned student complex.
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A lot of drama.... tons of gossip and a lot more people than at school etc... friendship groups tend to be the same size but many more acquaintances etc that you will see all the time. As such everyone seems to know everything.... most of the time before you do.

Break up and you/them start seeing someone else... yeah you'll bump into them all the time unless one of you becomes a hermit. Plus if anything happens all of your and their friends will know.

I thought the SU was bad but the amount of gossip I heard from barstaff in town (seeing they're popular jobs for students so you know half of them) when things fell apart was quite annoying "Oh did you know we saw X with Z while you two where still together" etc etc etc. Having mates in relationships or just broken up with all their gossip being spread in smoking area's etc.... urgh! fecking hate rumour mills!

Basically if you think it's anymore mature.... no it's not. Also it's better when it goes well, but if it falls apart it's not the best environment.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
oh GOD I COULD NOT think of anything worse than breaking up with someone and having to see them every single day, sharing the same friends, hearing what ( or who ) they're doing. At University age, it's not likely to last anyway.. I'd rather have my own group of friends at least if I was dating someone at uni, but to be honest I probably wouldn't date someone at the same uni, or at least who I have a lot of mutual friends with/ am on the same course as.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (718)
41.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (346)
19.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads