The Student Room Group

Should the UK ban the Burka (face covering)? just like France

Should the UK ban the Burka? just like France

I feel it does not fit with western culture, how are we suppose to identify these individuals? further decreases our chances for equality and community cohesion. Very difficult to chat to someone you can't see. One of the 7/7 suspects left the scene wearing a hijab!

Clear from the troubles France is facing, some members of the muslim community don't want to integrate.

Scroll to see replies

I get nervous when I walk past a woman ( could be a man under there we never know ) wearing a burka and those long black dresses as you never know whats under there could be a machete could be a bomb.
Some people just love being controversial

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Error404OLE
I get nervous when I walk past a woman ( could be a man under there we never know ) wearing a burka and those long black dresses as you never know whats under there could be a machete could be a bomb.

ditto
There's nothing racist in this thread lol
Yes anything that covers the full face should be banned for safety no just the burka
Original post by Smug Life
Stop being racist, you bigoted ****lord!

is islam a race? or are you just generalising an entire religion as a minority race?

I'm not in favour of banning the burqa/niqab because I don't think that the offensiveness of the burqa in the western world should be seen as a valid excuse to impose a coercive prohibition of it - freedom of expression when it directly harms nobody is always something that the state should defend with all of its weight. however, I will never claim that trying to get it banned is "racist" because that makes no sense - the criticism of the problems of the burqa don't come from racial politics; if it did, we'd be seeing as lot more calls to ban the sikh turban
I dislike the sight of the Burka as to me it is symbolic of a patriachal cultur that denigrates women. But I would never approve a ban on it. That is, to me, deeply illiberal.
Original post by zippity.doodah
is islam a race? or are you just generalising an entire religion as a minority race?

I'm not in favour of banning the burqa/niqab because I don't think that the offensiveness of the burqa in the western world should be seen as a valid excuse to impose a coercive prohibition of it - freedom of expression when it directly harms nobody is always something that the state should defend with all of its weight. however, I will never claim that trying to get it banned is "racist" because that makes no sense - the criticism of the problems of the burqa don't come from racial politics; if it did, we'd be seeing as lot more calls to ban the sikh turban

Indeed. Very few people speak of banning the hijab or headscarf, after all. The Burka and niqab is a different matter entirely.
no not everyone wants to show their face. I sometimes scribble my face off photos i take on snapchat. it's normal
Original post by thetasteofapples
Indeed. Very few people speak of banning the hijab or headscarf, after all. The Burka and niqab is a different matter entirely.

yeah, that's true. the burqa/niqab have issues which people raise which make them very different to just the head scarf. I think there are two reasons people think that the "burqa/niqab" should be banned:
1) the security/anonymity issues
2) the issue of whether these women are forced to wear it

to answer the first one, I don't see security as a concern in "public places"; you can allow certain properties to ban the full face covering on their premises if they think its a security concern, because it's their property and what goes on within it is up to them
and regarding number two, I don't actually care if women are being forced to wear it - that's their issue to report to the police, and people can be forced to wear anything really - I could be forced to wear embarrassing clothes but that's no excuse to ban all clothes that I don't want to wear which certain people may force me into wearing
Yes.

The Burqa is culturally incompatible and is also a minor safety risk. I support an outright ban.

France, then Belgium, this year Netherlands. Let's become the 4th country to ban this symbol of Anti-Western superiority, misogynistic oppression, Islamic extremism and denial of assimilation.
I completely agree that we should ban the Burqa. I find it ridiculous that people who agree with this are constantly labelled as "racist" and "prejudice", when it's completely plausible that they could be hiding something. People like to say "it's not all Muslims", but that's just the point. It isn't all Muslims, so we don't know what their intentions are. It only took a handful of them to take down the twin towers. They think that they have a right to practice their religion, but we don't have a right to have the peace of mind that they aren't hiding something under a completely unnecessary garment.
Reply 13
Even if they try to, they will not be successful. :yes:
I don't think it should be banned but I'm not exactly for Muslim women wearing it - they are just basically insulting and demeaning themselves. But if that's what they want to do, then why should the government care. It's just a bit of fabric at the end of the day IMO.
I can understand the negative symbol of wearing the burka, but to actually BAN it is a little extreme.
No the UK should not ban the burka.

Could be a pair of sexy haraam tits
I get nervous when I walk past a woman modestyd be a man under there we never know ) wearing a burka and those long black dresses as you never know whats under there could be a machete could be a bomb.

So you'd rather we walk around half naked like non-muslims with no modesty? I don't wear the burka myself but I accept it. I feel uncomfortable walking behind girls who have half their asses hanging, should we band short shorts too? I doubt many would like that
I think it shouldn't be banned, the UK is multi cultural, and I believe it should remain that way.
Of course there is the positive of crime prevention. I think they shouldn't be banned although, I do feel they should be taken in a stricter manner. For example, you can't walk into a bank with your face covered by a mask, but you can if it is a burka? Hmm....
Reply 19
I'm Muslim and in a way I agree with it, but it's just going to isolate those in the minority anyway. Most likely those women will have to stay at home. I don't think something that the minority of people wear should be banned. :frown:

Latest