zanon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
According to my calculations I have achieved 58.94% for my degree which is a 2:2, has anyone managed to get a similar percentage and then got a 2:1.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zanon)
According to my calculations I have achieved 58.94% for my degree which is a 2:2, has anyone managed to get a similar percentage and then got a 2:1.
the rule i ve heard is you need .5% away to get one, unless you got 2:1's in all your third year modules in which case my university will bump up your grade to a 2:1 if you re close.
zanon
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
the rule i ve heard is you need .5% away to get one, unless you got 2:1's in all your third year modules in which case my university will bump up your grade to a 2:1 if you re close.
oh ok I have 2:1 for 4 modules, 1st for one and rest are 2:2. Still hoping for a 2:1 just have to wait and see
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zanon)
oh ok I have 2:1 for 4 modules, 1st for one and rest are 2:2. Still hoping for a 2:1 just have to wait and see
i think the 2:2 might mean they wont round it up, each uni varies though
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wouldn't get your hopes up. You're still over 1 percentage point away.
zanon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duncan2012)
I wouldn't get your hopes up. You're still over 1 percentage point away.
Yes but I have seen the regulations and there may still be a chance.
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zanon)
Hi there, welcome to :tsr:

To answer your question, it depends on the university in question. My university (De Montfort Uni, Leicester) will bump up grades within 2% of the next tier as long as certain criteria are met.

A few weeks back I helped another uni student on here calculate their grades, they gave me all the info (including the uni handbook) and according to the handbook theirs wouldn't bump up grades.

If you could give me all of the information I need, such as your module marks (and credits), ratios between years (i.e. how much each year is worth etc) and the handbook (so I can see if there is anything about bumping up grades) I'll work things out for you and see if your grade can indeed be bumped up to an Upper Second (2.1).
zanon
Rep:
?
(Original post by spotify95)
Hi there, welcome to :tsr:

To answer your question, it depends on the university in question. My university (De Montfort Uni, Leicester) will bump up grades within 2% of the next tier as long as certain criteria are met.

A few weeks back I helped another uni student on here calculate their grades, they gave me all the info (including the uni handbook) and according to the handbook theirs wouldn't bump up grades.

If you could give me all of the information I need, such as your module marks (and credits), ratios between years (i.e. how much each year is worth etc) and the handbook (so I can see if there is anything about bumping up grades) I'll work things out for you and see if your grade can indeed be bumped up to an Upper Second (2.1).
Hi,

Year 1 average: 47.25 worth 10%
Year 2: 58.12 worth 30%
Year 3: 61.28 worth 60%

year 3 modules:
15 credits: 50.1
15 credits: 54.3
15 credits: 54.5
15 credits: 63.3
15 credits: 60
15 credits:82.3
30 credits:62.9

http://www.arcs.qmul.ac.uk/docs/policyzone/137211.pdf
item 6.80 shows the borderline policy

Thanks for your help
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zanon)
Hi,

Year 1 average: 47.25 worth 10%
Year 2: 58.12 worth 30%
Year 3: 61.28 worth 60%

year 3 modules:
15 credits: 50.1
15 credits: 54.3
15 credits: 54.5
15 credits: 63.3
15 credits: 60
15 credits:82.3
30 credits:62.9

http://www.arcs.qmul.ac.uk/docs/policyzone/137211.pdf
item 6.80 shows the borderline policy

Thanks for your help
Thank you for posting that, that definitely helps me work things out.

I take it that the boundary for an upper second (2.1) is 60%, like what it is at most universities?

I'll see what I calculate the grade at and come back to you on it
zanon
Rep:
?
Thank you for posting that, that definitely helps me work things out.

I take it that the boundary for an upper second (2.1) is 60%, like what it is at most universities?

I'll see what I calculate the grade at and come back to you on it
yes it is 60%
thanks
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zanon)
yes it is 60%
thanks
Assuming that your figures that you have posted are all correct, the total grade that you have received is 58.93%, which is what you said in the OP.

From the handbook that you have supplied:
Spoiler:
Show
1. Students with College Marks within one per cent of a borderline (except at the pass/fail border)shall be determined to fall within the ‘zone of consideration’;
2. Students with College Marks within 1.5 per cent of a borderline and with significant extenuatingcircumstances in the final year not taken into account elsewhere may be determined to fall within thezone of consideration. However, if this approach is taken then the extenuating circumstances may notalso be used as a reason to raise the classification itself;

4. Students falling within the zone of consideration and with at least half of their final year credits (halfof all credits at PG level) with marks at the level of the upper classification (or higher), shall be raisedto the higher classification.

Discretion outside of these bounds requiressuspension of the Academic Regulations (4.55), and will not normally be approved.
From what I can see, according to that, is that they will only consider increasing a student's grade if they are no more than 1% away from a boundary - i.e. 59% or more - unless there are extenuating circumstances (in which case you have to be 58.5% or more).

You have 75 credits out of 120 at the higher classification in the 3rd year, so that would have been a reason to award you the higher classification (2.1). However, from what I can see, you're just outside of the 1% boundary, and thus they won't normally consider increasing you to a 2.1.

Have you got the actual module marks for the 1st and 2nd years? That way I can check those percentages - after all you are very close to being put through to the higher classification. Unfortunately that first year grade seems to be the "problem area"

Hope that helps!
zanon
Rep:
?
Assuming that your figures that you have posted are all correct, the total grade that you have received is 58.93%, which is what you said in the OP.

From the handbook that you have supplied:
Spoiler:
Show
1. Students with College Marks within one per cent of a borderline (except at the pass/fail border)shall be determined to fall within the ‘zone of consideration’;
2. Students with College Marks within 1.5 per cent of a borderline and with significant extenuatingcircumstances in the final year not taken into account elsewhere may be determined to fall within thezone of consideration. However, if this approach is taken then the extenuating circumstances may notalso be used as a reason to raise the classification itself;

4. Students falling within the zone of consideration and with at least half of their final year credits (halfof all credits at PG level) with marks at the level of the upper classification (or higher), shall be raisedto the higher classification.

Discretion outside of these bounds requiressuspension of the Academic Regulations (4.55), and will not normally be approved.
From what I can see, according to that, is that they will only consider increasing a student's grade if they are no more than 1% away from a boundary - i.e. 59% or more - unless there are extenuating circumstances (in which case you have to be 58.5% or more).

You have 75 credits out of 120 at the higher classification in the 3rd year, so that would have been a reason to award you the higher classification (2.1). However, from what I can see, you're just outside of the 1% boundary, and thus they won't normally consider increasing you to a 2.1.

Have you got the actual module marks for the 1st and 2nd years? That way I can check those percentages - after all you are very close to being put through to the higher classification. Unfortunately that first year grade seems to be the "problem area"

Hope that helps!
year one:
39-fail
35-fail

Year two:

yes year one i wanted to quit uni so for my exams I didnt even try, i cant believe I actually passed year one
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zanon)
year one:
39-fail
35-fail

Year two:

yes year one i wanted to quit uni so for my exams I didnt even try, i cant believe I actually passed year one
Okay I'll do some calculations:

All are 15 credit modules (I presume) as 8*15 = 120 and there are 8 modules each year
First year (total across all 8 modules) = 378
Hence average grade for year 1 = 378/8 = 47.25

Second year total = 465
Hence average grade for second year = 465/8 = 58.125

Those are the exact same grades that you calculated previously - the 0.05% difference in 2nd year will not make any difference to the overall grade

Year 3 is (overall) 61.2875% according to your module marks

Hence overall grade is (47.25*0.10) + (58.125*0.30) + (61.2875*0.60) = 58.935%
Hence you're just 0.065% away from getting a 2.1 (as the majority of your credits in the 3rd year are at the higher classification).

I think that first year has definitely dragged it down... as such, unless you have extenuating circumstances you'll be receiving a 2.2 classification (lower second).

Hope that helps!
zanon
Rep:
?
Okay I'll do some calculations:

All are 15 credit modules (I presume) as 8*15 = 120 and there are 8 modules each year
First year (total across all 8 modules) = 378
Hence average grade for year 1 = 378/8 = 47.25

Second year total = 465
Hence average grade for second year = 465/8 = 58.125

Those are the exact same grades that you calculated previously - the 0.05% difference in 2nd year will not make any difference to the overall grade

Year 3 is (overall) 61.2875% according to your module marks

Hence overall grade is (47.25*0.10) + (58.125*0.30) + (61.2875*0.60) = 58.935%
Hence you're just 0.065% away from getting a 2.1 (as the majority of your credits in the 3rd year are at the higher classification).

I think that first year has definitely dragged it down... as such, unless you have extenuating circumstances you'll be receiving a 2.2 classification (lower second).

Hope that helps!
Yes thanks for the help. I can still hope!
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zanon)
Yes thanks for the help. I can still hope!
No worries! Don't forget to let me know what the outcome of this is!
naturallygreezy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You won't get a 2:1, as I had a friend who got 59.1 at QM and they did not round up in the politics department. Your third and 2:2 in first and second year also really wouldn't help.
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by naturallygreezy)
You won't get a 2:1, as I had a friend who got 59.1 at QM and they did not round up in the politics department. Your third and 2:2 in first and second year also really wouldn't help.
That's strange because their borderline policy shows that within 1% of a borderline will be considered for increase - and that if at least half their credits in year 3 are in the upper classification, they'll get the higher classification? Maybe they didn't have half their credits in year 3 at 60% or higher?

I do agree though, wrt the OP, the 3rd in year 1 isn't helping.
pippit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by naturallygreezy)
Was there a particular reason why they use the discretion of the borderline policy to give your friend a 2:1?
naturallygreezy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pippit)
Was there a particular reason why they use the discretion of the borderline policy to give your friend a 2:1?
due to his performances in first and second year.
zanon
Rep:
?
No worries! Don't forget to let me know what the outcome of this is!
I received a 2:1!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads