Can I get into Royal Holloway with bad AS grades? Watch

nayana71
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I really want to study politics and International Relations at royal holloway but im afraid i may end up with CCD for my AS and the entry requirements are ABB I've looked elsewhere and attended plenty of open days but nothing really does it for me other than royal holloway, my sister went. Plus I've visited the uni plenty of times i feel like i know the place already. If i get refused it will not only be embarassing but i would have to reapply again next year as i don't want to go anywhere else. I've heard royal holloway are quite lenient when it comes to grades but im afraid they wont make an exception for me. If lets say at the end of A2 i ended up with ABC would i get accepted?
blessed107
Badges: 9
Report 3 years ago
Don't give up hope, EVER there's a way for everyone , just hope that ur as grades will be better, Andy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got BCCD last year at AS and had an offer to study geography, politics and international relations within a week or so of sending off the application. Make sure your personnel statement is relevant and interesting and hopefully you'll get an offer!
Jagray
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I also got an ABB offer with AS grades BCCD to do physical geography and geology, however I highly doubt I will get in as I think I've achieved BCCC at A2. My insurance Brighton is looking bright
HanDel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello!
I've just finished my third year at Royal Holloway studying BA Geography.
First of all - do not panic! I'm sure you've done better than you thought.
Quite a few of my friends were admitted onto the physical geography course having obtained BBC grades at A-level, however one of them did need to go in for an interview to discuss why it was that they wanted to attend the course (he still got in after). I don't know whether this was because not enough people had registered to the course that year, or if they are just lenient. All I know is that all the staff in the Geography department really do enjoy having students from a range of different academic backgrounds so I wouldn't look too much into it . If you find out on the day that you haven't obtained the ABB grades, check your e-mails, you may still have been admitted. If not, ring the department and ask to have an appointment with the admissions tutor, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help/guide you!

With regards to PIR Nayana, I too know some people who are part of that course who got BBB, rather than the 'required' ABB, so honestly don't panic!

If you do get grades that are a lot lower than that, perhaps re-taking your A2 exams would help? Or perhaps university just isn't for you! I don't want to discourage anyone, but undergraduate study is a lot more challenging than A-level. It isn't just about the university, you really have to be committed to and interested in the course you've applied to. I know quite a few people that ended up dropping out because it was too much academically, or they'd just gone for the uni rather than the course.

If any of you have any more questions (particularly the geography people) I'd be more than happy to help!

GOOD LUCK! I'm sure you'll all do great! x
Jagray
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HanDel)
Hello!
Quite a few of my friends were admitted onto the physical geography course having obtained BBC grades at A-level, however one of them did need to go in for an interview to discuss why it was that they wanted to attend the course (he still got in after). I don't know whether this was because not enough people had registered to the course that year, or if they are just lenient. All I know is that all the staff in the Geography department really do enjoy having students from a range of different academic backgrounds so I wouldn't look too much into it . If you find out on the day that you haven't obtained the ABB grades, check your e-mails, you may still have been admitted. If not, ring the department and ask to have an appointment with the admissions tutor, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help/guide you!

With regards to PIR Nayana, I too know some people who are part of that course who got BBB, rather than the 'required' ABB, so honestly don't panic!

If you do get grades that are a lot lower than that, perhaps re-taking your A2 exams would help? Or perhaps university just isn't for you! I don't want to discourage anyone, but undergraduate study is a lot more challenging than A-level. It isn't just about the university, you really have to be committed to and interested in the course you've applied to. I know quite a few people that ended up dropping out because it was too much academically, or they'd just gone for the uni rather than the course.

If any of you have any more questions (particularly the geography people) I'd be more than happy to help!

This post made me happy haha... Is a B in fine art and a C in biology along with a C geography really bad, do you think I have a chance? Most people have another math or science not art for physical geography

I think the geology dep is processing my application too as I'm doing joint geology, not sure if they're stricter... I had an interview where they asked why I was doing such odd subjects (I also do psychology which should come out as a C) but they gave me an offer still >_> I'm so worried secretly, and if not I can go to Brighton easily :/

Well done on finishing waheeeyyy!
HanDel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jagray)
This post made me happy haha... Is a B in fine art and a C in biology along with a C geography really bad, do you think I have a chance? Most people have another math or science not art for physical geography

I think the geology dep is processing my application too as I'm doing joint geology, not sure if they're stricter... I had an interview where they asked why I was doing such odd subjects (I also do psychology which should come out as a C) but they gave me an offer still >_> I'm so worried secretly, and if not I can go to Brighton easily :/

Well done on finishing waheeeyyy!
Aw I'm glad it made you happy! I know how stressful this time can be, but please know you're not alone! I think everyone is feeling equally as nervous about results I know I did! A huge congrats to getting through your A-levels, it's a big deal and it took a lot of time and energy to get to where you are now so focus on that, not the letters you may get

Wish regards to what subjects you took, I suppose they are 'unusual' for a Geography degree in a way, but they probably asked you in for an interview to doubly make sure that it was Geography and Geology that you wanted to take. Like I said, a lot of people end up dropping out/moving course because they went in thinking the course was one thing but it turned out to be another... In saying that, I know people that didn't even take Geography at A-level! One friend of mine took Art, Sociology and Religious Studies so they really do like a variety of academic angles.

The few people that I know on the Geography and Geology joint honours course, at the very least got BBB grades at A-level. The only way I could think that the Geology department may be a little stricter is that you do need to have some knowledge of maths (which I believe you can drop after the first year so don't panic if it's not 100% your thing), but it is a main component. Don't forget, these people want you to succeed, not only for you but also for their final year department results so they wouldn't have offered you a place if they didn't think that you weren't capable! If worst comes to worst and Geography offers you a place, and Geology doesn't, you can take a Physical Geography degree, and take elective modules from Geology in second and third year But hey, I have no idea what Brighton uni is like but Brighton is absolutely beautiful and a great place to be (especially in this sunny weather!)

SORRY FOR GOING ON FOR SO LONG. I hope what I've said is helpful! If you have any more questions of course ask away, I could always ask a friend on the Geo & Geo course about the modules etc if you like.
& thank youuuuu! 2:1 baby! I'm so happy haha
Jagray
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aw I'm glad it made you happy! I know how stressful this time can be, but please know you're not alone! I think everyone is feeling equally as nervous about results I know I did! A huge congrats to getting through your A-levels, it's a big deal and it took a lot of time and energy to get to where you are now so focus on that, not the letters you may get

Wish regards to what subjects you took, I suppose they are 'unusual' for a Geography degree in a way, but they probably asked you in for an interview to doubly make sure that it was Geography and Geology that you wanted to take. Like I said, a lot of people end up dropping out/moving course because they went in thinking the course was one thing but it turned out to be another... In saying that, I know people that didn't even take Geography at A-level! One friend of mine took Art, Sociology and Religious Studies so they really do like a variety of academic angles.

The few people that I know on the Geography and Geology joint honours course, at the very least got BBB grades at A-level. The only way I could think that the Geology department may be a little stricter is that you do need to have some knowledge of maths (which I believe you can drop after the first year so don't panic if it's not 100% your thing), but it is a main component. Don't forget, these people want you to succeed, not only for you but also for their final year department results so they wouldn't have offered you a place if they didn't think that you weren't capable! If worst comes to worst and Geography offers you a place, and Geology doesn't, you can take a Physical Geography degree, and take elective modules from Geology in second and third year But hey, I have no idea what Brighton uni is like but Brighton is absolutely beautiful and a great place to be (especially in this sunny weather!)

SORRY FOR GOING ON FOR SO LONG. I hope what I've said is helpful! If you have any more questions of course ask away, I could always ask a friend on the Geo & Geo course about the modules etc if you like.
& thank youuuuu! 2:1 baby! I'm so happy haha
Long replies are better than one word replies I have A's in physics, math, resistant materials and everything at GCSE, that might help or do they want A level standard maths skills? all that differentiating and stuff I hate with a passion, if so it'd probably be best if they rejected me

I'm also did an EPQ on soil contamination, predicted an A for it ;D so maybe that's why I got an offer, and it might help sway 'em

Brighton has the exact same course and it's accredited by the geological society London, they accept C/D students, so I'm guessing the RHUL one is just more heavy on chemistry and maths if they think certain people aren't able to do it? hmmm.

I also have the issue of if I get into RHUL then I won't be living on £40 a week like I would at Brighton (for a number of various reasons) :P I don't really have questions I'm mainly venting by writing because I'm worried haha. Very nice! I will dream of a 2:1, you did good!
nayana71
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello!

Thank you so much! i am pretty confident on two of my subjects but very shaky on my other one which is actually the one i enjoy most. I've been thinking hard and highest i can probably get is BBC but that should be fine as long as my personal statement is good xD

Also, you've been at the uni for 3 years now may i ask how you find the university and what is student life like there? I could ask my sister but she's not in the UK at the moment.
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nayana71)
I really want to study politics and International Relations at royal holloway but im afraid i may end up with CCD for my AS and the entry requirements are ABB I've looked elsewhere and attended plenty of open days but nothing really does it for me other than royal holloway, my sister went. Plus I've visited the uni plenty of times i feel like i know the place already. If i get refused it will not only be embarassing but i would have to reapply again next year as i don't want to go anywhere else. I've heard royal holloway are quite lenient when it comes to grades but im afraid they wont make an exception for me. If lets say at the end of A2 i ended up with ABC would i get accepted?
Hi there,

Firstly, let me introduce myself. I'm Katie and I am covering for Emily whilst she is away on leave.

In relation to your query, we assess each application on a case-by-case basis including predicted grades, reference, Personal Statement and applicant profile as a whole. However, please do note that a strong application does not mean that you will be accepted on to any of our courses if you fail to meet the entry requirements.

I also wanted to let you know that your concern about AS level grades is one that comes up regularly, so don't feel like you are the only one who is worrying about this.

Congratulations on having completed your AS level exams - that in itself is an achievement! I wish you all the best for results day.

If you have any other questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope this helps.

Katie
ameliadearie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi! I am thinking of applying to royal holloway to study human geography and for my AS grades I received B,C,D (b in geography and expected to do well at A2). Do you think it is a waste of time for me to apply because they won't consider it? Thank you!
Jagray
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ameliadearie)
Hi! I am thinking of applying to royal holloway to study human geography and for my AS grades I received B,C,D (b in geography and expected to do well at A2). Do you think it is a waste of time for me to apply because they won't consider it? Thank you!
It is very likely they will consider you and give the standard ABB or a rare BBB offer , I applied for physical geography and got BCCD in A level and they rejected me so now I'm somewhere cooler (but that's a different story). I think if I had gotten a B in geography they may have been lenient, however it's down to your personal statement and past experience with the subject too. They will consider you basically, unless your personal statement is terrible
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ameliadearie)
Hi there,

I would advise you to assess what grades you think it is likely that you will achieve at A2. We make conditional offers based on the grades that you are predicted, and therefore it might be an idea to speak with your school/college about this and to outline some targets to help you get to where you want to be.

You do still have some time, and it might be worth retaking some of your AS modules in order to reach our entry requirements.

I hope that is helpful but please do let me know if you have any further questions

Camilla
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (407)
18.64%
The paper was reasonable (1039)
47.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (485)
22.21%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.58%

Watched Threads