How can laws sometimes be blocked or oppose in parliament?

Watch
username1370769
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Doing my summer assignment for my the Government and Politics A Level I'll be studying next year and this is the one question that has stumped me:
"How can legislation sometimes be opposed or blocked? Are there instances whereby new legislation or laws cannot be blocked?"

Can anyone help?
Fawkesgirl33
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BEARichards)
Doing my summer assignment for my the Government and Politics A Level I'll be studying next year and this is the one question that has stumped me:
"How can legislation sometimes be opposed or blocked? Are there instances whereby new legislation or laws cannot be blocked?"

Can anyone help?
Legislation can be opposed or blocked by the votes of MPs. However, the use of a three line whip if a party is in the majority inhibits the genuine usefulness of this. See the coalition- blocking changing the constituency boundaries in response to Tory rebels over House of Lords reforms. vs Labour under Blair. Legislation is more likely to be blocked there is a free vote.
Legislation can be delayed for up to one year in the House of Lords. However, this is not true of financial legislation.
A revision guide for the topic will probably be most helpful in terms of giving you the points needed.
lizzieA123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if it goes against the europen convention on human rights cuz even though parliament is sovereign it cannot pass laws which goes against the ECHR and example was the Abu Quatda case where they couldn't detain him cuz he was at risk of torture and would go against the ECHR

im not sure if that a good example but u could look at the relationship with the EU and parliament and there are loads of examples in the AS gov and politics book you could even look at the judiciary and how the reforms of 2005 has made it possible for them to because independent and neutral and can stand against any legislation that infringed on our civil liberties
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads