The Student Room Group

Can someone explain why EU Citizens can get UK Student Loans, but not the vice versa?

??
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
EU countries have to offer the same support that they would to home students, but I think EU students in the UK have to have lived here for 3 years prior to starting their course to qualify for funding. Seeing as most EU countries charge no or minimal fees, there doesn't tend to be as much student support available, and where there is, it will be available to other EU students, but on the same terms as nationals, which will be restricted in a similar way to our loans to try to stop every EU student from qualifying - some kind of residency requirement.
Reply 2
Original post by Katie_p
EU countries have to offer the same support that they would to home students, but I think EU students in the UK have to have lived here for 3 years prior to starting their course to qualify for funding. Seeing as most EU countries charge no or minimal fees, there doesn't tend to be as much student support available, and where there is, it will be available to other EU students, but on the same terms as nationals, which will be restricted in a similar way to our loans to try to stop every EU student from qualifying - some kind of residency requirement.

wrong the residency requirement only applies to Brits returning from overseas
As far as the EU is concerned, anyone who has lived in the EU for 3 years is treated as a EU resident and has same access to funding as UK resident, although I think they dont get a mainatance loan just a tuition fee loan
Link from gov website:

http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1415/eu/eu_1415_guide_sfe_d.pdf

Short version: EU students get tuition fee loan no maintenance loan/grants.
Reply 4
Original post by James222
wrong the residency requirement only applies to Brits returning from overseas
As far as the EU is concerned, anyone who has lived in the EU for 3 years is treated as a EU resident and has same access to funding as UK resident, although I think they dont get a mainatance loan just a tuition fee loan

Exactly, if they want maintenance, they need to be UK-based same as UK students.

If EU students are eligible for tuition fee loans in their home countries, then so are Brits, but in most of these countries, since fees are a few hundred euros at most, such support doesn't really exist, and if it does, it's based on criteria that Brits who can study abroad probably won't fulfil.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending