Are you views changing on ukip??? Watch

Poll: Do you think ukip are a better party now than they were 2 years ago?
Yes- They have improved (16)
44.44%
No- They have got worse (8)
22.22%
Seem exactly the same (12)
33.33%
string210
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A couple of years ago if someone said to me what do you think of ukip? I would have said racist scum. But after a few years where they have ousted pretty much every racist member, and cleaned up their act. To me they are starting to look much more like a very credible party. I find myself seeing only benefits to controlling immigration, very few drawbacks, i find myself enjoying the non- nonsense straight talking approach that nigel gives, instead of dodging questions. I am also becoming increasingly eurosceptic. I still think they have more things to do in terms of getting across to the public, their policies about nhs, economy etc that are in the manifesto but no one knows about, as debates can usually be immigration/europe based.

Please dont comment if you are going to be abusive, but in all honesty, have your views changed towards ukip in recent years and do you think they are now talking alot more sense than other parties?
LuisaRose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope. They still have disgustingly racist members, still hold racist views and will always have connections with other racists groups.
string210
Rep:
?
(Original post by LuisaRose)
Nope. They still have disgustingly racist members, still hold racist views and will always have connections with other racists groups.
I think that is very bold statement, do you have any evidence to support this? I also dont appreciate your comment as I said please do not be abusive!
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LuisaRose)
which members are racists? let me look them up so I can see this for myself - are they the noob members or are they the actual members who formerly represent the party in the media?
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They are good for british politics
string210
Rep:
?
(Original post by sdotd)
They are good for british politics
Thankyou for your comment, i believe very much so aswell now, ukip always get so much stick from the media aswell. Always looking for flaws and wrongdoings more so than in other parties
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have to admit a few years ago i hednt really heard of them, but I think they do talk a lot of sense.
SotonianOne
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do not like them but they have been talking a lot of sense and offer a good alternative. Yes they have improved, I thought they were fruitcakes and loonies 2 years ago.
WilliamSlim
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My view has worsened. Didn't really know them all that well before, and then heard about them like 2 days before the vote where they had that member saying he would put a bullet between the eyes of any asian PM, and then after the election it was revealed they had a nazi as one of their candidates
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seem largely the same to me although i've never had the hatred for the party that others have. Still an inferior choice to the Tories but the election of Farron could make them my second preference unless Kendall gets elected and has good policies.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Although i'd never vote UKIP, i'd have far more respect and time for them if they made someone like Carswell their leader and became a libertarian party, rather then a sensationalist, xenephobic party which they are at the moment with Farage in charge.
JMP1995
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
Although i'd never vote UKIP, i'd have far more respect and time for them if they made someone like Carswell their leader and became a libertarian party, rather then a sensationalist, xenephobic party which they are at the moment with Farage in charge.
How are UKIP (a pro-immigration party, led by a man of Huguenot descent, who has a German wife) xenophobic?
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JMP1995)
How are UKIP (a pro-immigration party, led by a man of Huguenot descent, who has a German wife) xenophobic?
Their leader has a fear of immigrants. 'Would you want to live next to Romanians' and 'its an outrage that people on the train weren't speaking in English', 'Immigrants with HIV'.
UKIP a pro-immigration party?
I like Carswell, and if UKIP had a leader like him and became a true libertarian party i'd have more respect for them, obviously wouldn't vote for them but I wouldn't view them as a wacky, sensationalist party that they are under Farage.

If they became more Libertarian they'd start to take more votes off the tories also. Which would be a positive for me.
JMP1995
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Their leader has a fear of immigrants. 'Would you want to live next to Romanians' and 'its an outrage that people on the train weren't speaking in English', 'Immigrants with HIV'.
UKIP a pro-immigration party?
I like Carswell, and if UKIP had a leader like him and became a true libertarian party i'd have more respect for them, obviously wouldn't vote for them but I wouldn't view them as a wacky, sensationalist party that they are under Farage.

If they became more Libertarian they'd start to take more votes off the tories also. Which would be a positive for me.
Yes UKIP are pro-immigration, aren't they? They want an Australian-style points system, which would encourage and prioritise skilled immigrants to come over (I believe net immigration that UKIP target is 40,000-50,000, not the uncontrolled mess we have presently, which is actually causing our country to turn away skilled immigrants).

'Immigrants with HIV' - clearly used to highlight health tourism, and how immigrants should pay into the system for a few years first.

As for the Romanians comment, I think Farage has regretted that and subsequently apologised.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes UKIP are pro-immigration, aren't they? They want an Australian-style points system, which would encourage and prioritise skilled immigrants to come over (I believe net immigration that UKIP target is 40,000-50,000, not the uncontrolled mess we have presently, which is actually causing our country to turn away skilled immigrants).

'Immigrants with HIV' - clearly used to highlight health tourism, and how immigrants should pay into the system for a few years first.

As for the Romanians comment, I think Farage has regretted that and subsequently apologised.
Well, they are not 'pro-immigration'. They want very restricted immigration.
Pro-immigration generally means you want relaxed borders. If you limited immigration to one person a year you wouldn't call that 'pro-immigration' would you?

Immigrants with HIV was a stupid point which your only MP, Douglas Carswell refuted. If one has HIV, treat them right away to save their life.

And as for the Romanians, I don't care if he apologized, he clearly meant it. It was a xenophobic comment.

If UKIP lost their sensationalism I'd like them a lot more, or rather, hate them a lot less.
thesexyapple2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UKIP members are most definatley raicist and the whole party is made up of racists. They got the bulk of their votes in majority white places with little to no immigrants there yet when asked many justify their decision as they are afraid immigrants are taking over the country. Ironic because the majority of them have never been around nor seen immigrants. It's a fear of the unknown and UKIP is 100% made up of many racists
JMP1995
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, they are not 'pro-immigration'. They want very restricted immigration.
Pro-immigration generally means you want relaxed borders. If you limited immigration to one person a year you wouldn't call that 'pro-immigration' would you?

Immigrants with HIV was a stupid point which your only MP, Douglas Carswell refuted. If one has HIV, treat them right away to save their life.

And as for the Romanians, I don't care if he apologized, he clearly meant it. It was a xenophobic comment.

If UKIP lost their sensationalism I'd like them a lot more, or rather, hate them a lot less.
Pro-immigration generally means having a policy that is in favour of immigration - 40,000-50,000 is a bit more than one person, and is far from being very restrictive. And Farage has continually stressed that UKIP want immigration, as Britain needs it. (Quite right)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO22-FW5Qdc (skip to 0:46)

Our current policy on immigration is an uncontrolled, unplanned mess, which is causing our nation to lose out on skilled workers, and causing great strain to housing/school places etc. Having relaxed borders, as we currently do, is a disastrous idea given how high the terror threat level is.

As for healthcare, I am firmly of the position that you either pay into the system for a set number of years (3-5), or you have to pay to use this country's health service. Just like any other country in the world, really, otherwise you create the problem of health tourism (seeing as how the NHS is strained, at the moment, it makes even more sense).

And Farage says he regretted his comments about Romanians. He said something stupid, as we all have.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anything that prevents Labour winning an election is good with me.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

As for healthcare, I am firmly of the position that you either pay into the system for a set number of years (3-5), or you have to pay to use this country's health service. Just like any other country in the world, really, otherwise you create the problem of health tourism (seeing as how the NHS is strained, at the moment, it makes even more sense).

And Farage says he regretted his comments about Romanians. He said something stupid, as we all have.
So should children and poor people not be allowed to use the health service because they haven't paid into it?

I don't care if he says he regretted them. They showed his true colors, a racist, xenophobic, prejudiced man.

So the answer the question is get rid of Farage and you'd be regarded as a much more sensible, less sensationalist, less xenophobic party.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
Anything that prevents Labour winning an election is good with me.
Yeah could you imagine if a right wing, Thatcherite, neo-liberal party like Labour got in power!?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads