Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yes, some christians are annoying, telemarketers are annoying, politicians are annoying, everyone is annoying to some.

To me the christians who preech to me are annoying, those who dont are perfectly fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoni)
    what are your beliefs?
    I am an atheist, and my beliefs are in Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    I am an atheist, and my beliefs are in Science.
    science is fallable as well, just ask the piliosphers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    science is fallable as well, just ask the piliosphers
    Yes it is fallibe, but its set up allows it to admit it was wrong, religion has no excuse if God exists.

ReputationRep:
    I think that Christening a child at Birth should be banned.

It gives no choice, before the baby is one they have ties with the church.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is fallibe, but its set up allows it to admit it was wrong, religion has no excuse if God exists.
    that was my 2000th post, dam. Science often stimulates beyond its realms tho, such as string theory which can not be proved or disproven at the moment and thus shouldn't have the word scientific attached to it

ReputationRep:

christains would argue that its only at confirmation that people actually affirm their faith and that baptism is more a good thing since it ensures that the child will be brought up in a good way, besides if the parents are religious they are going to bring it up in a religious manner whether or not the baby was confirmed, you are effectively saying lets ban religious parents which is a nonsense

ReputationRep:
    that was my 2000th post, dam. Science often stimulates beyond its realms tho, such as string theory which can not be proved or disproven at the moment and thus shouldn't have the word scientific attached to it
    When will people learn.

Nothing can be proven completely anyway.

Also: isn't it good that science speculates about the future. Occassionally it is right.

ReputationRep:
    christains would argue that its only at confirmation that people actually affirm their faith and that baptism is more a good thing since it ensures that the child will be brought up in a good way, besides if the parents are religious they are going to bring it up in a religious manner whether or not the baby was confirmed, you are effectively saying lets ban religious parents which is a nonsense
    How exactly does it do that?

I am just saying: lets not get kids officially involved in the church until they are old enough to decide.

ReputationRep:
    When will people learn.

Nothing can be proven completely anyway.

Also: isn't it good that science speculates about the future. Occassionally it is right.
    no but not even remotely proven, it would require a particle accelerator the size of the solar system roughly to get an indication to whether the theory is remotely true.
    theory based on experimental resuls right = good science
    string theory doesn't have any testable features and thus is no better than genesis

its good to speculate but its not always science and shouldn't be called sush
    you are saying have a broad mind to future possiblities yet you yourself have already ruled out the possibility of God so surely that is hypociritcal?

ReputationRep:
    How exactly does it do that?

I am just saying: lets not get kids officially involved in the church until they are old enough to decide.
    because religious values are in the main very good values to have, if you don't believe me, name one civilzation that has developed without using religion? the values it installs lead to stabiliity, surely something you want?

And its not like the child can't opt out later

ReputationRep:
    because religious values are in the main very good values to have, if you don't believe me, name one civilzation that has developed without using religion? the values it installs lead to stabiliity, surely something you want?

And its not like the child can't opt out later
    I think I disagree here. Getting children into something that doesn't exist (aka. God). There is no point in getting them wasting time down at the church is there?

My point is that the child shouldn't have to opt out.

Just because no civilisations have done it, it doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

ReputationRep:
    no but not even remotely proven, it would require a particle accelerator the size of the solar system roughly to get an indication to whether the theory is remotely true.
    theory based on experimental resuls right = good science
    string theory doesn't have any testable features and thus is no better than genesis
    Well I don't know anyone who spends their life dictated to string theory so why do it to something with similarly low level of proof? Religion?

its good to speculate but its not always science and shouldn't be called sush
    you are saying have a broad mind to future possiblities yet you yourself have already ruled out the possibility of God so surely that is hypociritcal?
    No it isn't. I believe that there isn't a God, but there could be, I accept there is a possiblity.

ReputationRep:
    I think I disagree here. Getting children into something that doesn't exist (aka. God). There is no point in getting them wasting time down at the church is there?

My point is that the child shouldn't have to opt out.

Just because no civilisations have done it, it doesn't mean that it isn't possible.
    if it was possible i think it would happened by now
    you don't know that God doesnt exist so until then you have nothing to discredit their views with and its not God that is important, its the whole idea of caring for others by respecting them that is important.

ReputationRep:

im not sure why i was christened. my family are not religious at all and ive never believed in God.
    i can see what u mean though.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know anyone who spends their life dictated to string theory so why do it to something with similarly low level of proof? Religion?
    you put forward the idea you believed in science and i am mearly saying that science is not fallable as I have shown, so just be carefull about adopting and trying to stand up for a whole belief system, there are always going to be dodgy bits and you would of been better for saying something like "i believe is science is more likely to have the answers" rather than "science has the answers"
    No it isn't. I believe that there isn't a God, but there could be, I accept there is a possiblity.
    then you aren't an athiest, since someone who is an athiest believes God does not exist and can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    im not sure why i was christened. my family are not religious at all and ive never believed in God.
    i can see what u mean though.
    social event for the familiy?

ReputationRep:
    social event for the familiy?

hm wel it was only close family there? mayb its coz we live slightly near a church lol

ReputationRep:

That wouldnt happen. Im angry that ive been christened as a child but at the end of the day its just a little ritual, hardly something that will scar you. Circumcision is another matter altogether.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    My point was merely that as religion is a human creation, its absence would be filled by another human substitute...
    The whole point of religion is that some people believe it isn't a human creation - it's based on the idea of God, something so important that religious faiths are given far more attention than most other sorts of belief.

(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    Jesus' message, for example, was a very humanist one, and you don't have to believe that he was the Son of God to appreciate that being nice to other people, which was his main message, is a good one.
    I would disagree with that - I think his main message was that he was the Son of God, whether it was true or not.
    If it wasn't, then he was probably insane, considering some of the things he said - "on a level with a man who claims he is a poached egg", as someone put it.

(Original post by immortal)
    (my ex-best friend told me I deserved to burn in hell for dabbling in the occult)
    One of Christianity's beliefs is that absolutely every human being deserves to burn in hell (occult or no) for not being perfect and sinning against God, and only Jesus can save people from that.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.