Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does inequality bother you?

Genuinely speaking in the UK (West).
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
not really, because everybody's quality of life gets better over time under the system with the biggest wealth divisions
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
quite a bit but not everyone can be equal
cbreef
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
Does inequality bother you?

Genuinely speaking in the UK (West).
Hell yeah, its disgusting. Yes some ppl deserve to earn more than others but cmon, not that much more
ibzombie96
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cbreef)
Hell yeah, its disgusting. Yes some ppl deserve to earn more than others but cmon, not that much more
Why not?
flibber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally, not particularly, but I believe that any government should spend more money improving living standards for ordinary people rather than useless 'patriotic' moves.

I hope this government's plan to drive up academic standards for 15+ year olds (who have long lagged behind their European and East Asian peers) succeeds.
cbreef
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because the work they do doesn't justify their multi million dollar salaries
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whether it bothers me or not is insignificant. The fact is that, for the most part, inequality has remained stagnant or continues to grow. Yes, almost everyone benefits under the current system, but the rate at which the rich benefit more than the poor is one that is unfortunate.
queen-bee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes kind of
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arkasia)
Whether it bothers me or not is insignificant. The fact is that, for the most part, inequality has remained stagnant or continues to grow. Yes, almost everyone benefits under the current system, but the rate at which the rich benefit more than the poor is one that is unfortunate.
what way do the rich benefit more?
tomtjl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, but only because I'm poor.
Imperion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not their faults they played the game right and have a decent amount of luck(don't say it doesn't exist).
ibzombie96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because the work they do doesn't justify their multi million dollar salaries
Yes it does. If you make 30MM for your company, you should reasonably expect to take 1MM as reward. Why should someone work their ass of to bring in that revenue for their employer and skulk around the 50k mark?
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what way do the rich benefit more?
I'm not talking about specific individuals or groups as one might do when they highlight 'bankers bonuses' or other such buzzwords, I'm talking about the broad demographic of middle-to-upper class groups in society who, for the most part, live in the south-east of England. The way in which these groups benefit is subtle but significant, with divides in life expectancy, average wage, number of children, and more things. The gap between the North and the South of the UK is, as I said, seeming to remain stagnant in many areas.
Imperion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally, nope.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
(Original post by tomtjl)
Yeah, but only because I'm poor.
thought it would affect the least well off more. However i thought those who are wealthy might have some empathy.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arkasia)
I'm not talking about specific individuals or groups as one might do when they highlight 'bankers bonuses' or other such buzzwords, I'm talking about the broad demographic of middle-to-upper class groups in society who, for the most part, live in the south-east of England. The way in which these groups benefit is subtle but significant, with divides in life expectancy, average wage, number of children, and more things. The gap between the North and the South of the UK is, as I said, seeming to remain stagnant in many areas.
Hmm i guess in a way. But even if you are wealthy in less economically vibrant areas you still live a great standard of living.
Imperion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ibzombie96)
Yes it does. If you make 30MM for your company, you should reasonably expect to take 1MM as reward. Why should someone work their ass of to bring in that revenue for their employer and skulk around the 50k mark?
And that's not even 10% of what you made for the company xD
Pulse.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. As long as my economic situation improves at a pace that I'm satisfied with then the success and excesses of others doesn't concern me.
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmm i guess in a way. But even if you are wealthy in less economically vibrant areas you still live a great standard of living.
Oh definitely, no denying that, but the trends quite clearly point to a North/South divide, although there are fluctuations on a communal level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (6)
9.23%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (5)
7.69%
No, but maybe I will look into it (15)
23.08%
No and I wouldn't consider it (39)
60%

Watched Threads