The Student Room Group

Why was the Education Act 1944 and the introduction of the NHS (1946-48) significant?

Why was the Education Act 1944 and the introduction of the NHS (1946-48) significant in the context of the 20th century?

Thanks in advance.
Why do you think they were significant? It's pretty obvious when you think about it :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
Why do you think they were significant? It's pretty obvious when you think about it :wink:

Well with regards to the Education Act, it provided free secondary education to all children, and one of its aims was to educate women and the working class. Is that it though, as in am I missing anything?
Original post by swzs313
Well with regards to the Education Act, it provided free secondary education to all children, and one of its aims was to educate women and the working class. Is that it though, as in am I missing anything?

I think that's going down the right lines, have a think about the differences there were prior to the act and the introduction of the NHS and what happened just before these things happening (ie: a big war), as it shaped the political landscape to make these decisions.

Disclaimer: I'm no history tutor, so I've no idea how much in depth you're expected to answer, but if you consider the effect both these things had on the UK, particularly on the working classes it's a pretty simple one to answer :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by moonkatt
I think that's going down the right lines, have a think about the differences there were prior to the act and the introduction of the NHS and what happened just before these things happening (ie: a big war), as it shaped the political landscape to make these decisions.

Disclaimer: I'm no history tutor, so I've no idea how much in depth you're expected to answer, but if you consider the effect both these things had on the UK, particularly on the working classes it's a pretty simple one to answer :smile:

Thank you, we're not required to write in great depth, just a brief essay/few paragraphs.

Quick Reply