The Student Room Group

German school tells girls to respect Syrian refugees and dress modestly

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mark8346
Why should people have to change the way they behave just in case not doing so might offend a refugee?

Refugees should be happy they have a place to stay at all, and the people who live in the country that is hosting the refugees certainly shouldn't have to change the way they dress or behave to accommodate them.

Part of mutual respect is realizing that they are not in their home country, and that the country that is being nice enough to host them certainly doesn't have to change the way its people dresses.

Original post by marco14196
Really? Are you actually kidding? That's ridiculous. They have been welcomed into a country to escape from the war in theirs and now they have the audacity to impose demands on a German school. That's atrocious. If I went out to the Middle East with a girlfriend and she wasn't wearing a hijab, we'd be hounded at for her not wearing. We don't make such demands on refugees when they come into Europe but they seriously have the audacity.....Look, I don't have a problem with any followers of religion. Practice what you want to practice. But don't....DON'T....try and impose your views on others when you have no footing to stand on.

That they're demanding these school girls change attire because it doesn't conform to their religion leads me to the supposition that they don't want to integrate.

And here we have two idiots mouthing off without reading the article. Nowhere in it did it state that the refugees personally asked or demanded that these schoolkids change their clothing. It's the politicians and school who suggested so. Don't put words into their mouth, they've barely escaped with their lives.
They are not expecting them to wear burkha, but just asking them to avoid wearing 'mini skirts and see through blouse' and refrain from racist remarks.
I have attended a convent here in the U.K and it was much more strict than this, I have to say. Overall the schools here are very strict when it comes to dressing and that's not necessarily because of religion.
At German schools, obviously there is no uniform and miniskirts and see through blouses are not uncommon. Although I think it should be their choice overall it is a very sweet gesture. Deutschland <3
"their cultures are different, so it might offend them, the same way it offends people if you don't give them tips in restuarants." Boo ****ing hoo if it offends them-the point is the majority shouldn't have to conform to the minorities view on dress/culture as they're guests in their country and therefore should be "tolerant" as I know you lot like to use that word, of how those school girls are already dressing.

"Being tolerant to others is what makes people great, if you can't let this slide, you might as well go back to the far right and turn into Nazis." Typical little left wing progressive, always tarring anyone with a different view as a Nazi(emotionalism fueled arguments are a lefts dependency considering they usually have no facts or even logical arguments). Associating the right with nazism again, because the left can never be intolerant ? right. Not trying to use this for your own political persuasion at all.

"Also have some decency your tsr trolls, sitting in your comfortable chairs with a roof over your head, their homes are blown up, their brothers and sisters were killed and bleed to death in front of their eyes, let them rest here with a bit of comfort at least. " Irrelevant emotional argument again, not everyone with a different opinion is a troll you know, and I'm sure anyone would be sympathetic towards their situation that's not the discrepancy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by misteltain
And here we have two idiots mouthing off without reading the article. Nowhere in it did it state that the refugees personally asked or demanded that these schoolkids change their clothing. It's the politicians and school who suggested so. Don't put words into their mouth, they've barely escaped with their lives.

Well that still doesn't make any sense really. Why did they feel pressured to do it? They're refugees, not citizens. They would have no say on policy in Germany. It's ridiculous that this even needed to happen. If anything, it shows how warped the thought process of the politicians and the school actually was because it suggests they're actually frightened of the response from the refugees. If you're welcoming refugees into a country but you're frightened of them, surely alarm bells sound off don't you think. It sends out the complete wrong message. It says to hell with integration. It says to hell with accepting the way others live their lives. It says its ok to ditch the way we do things which is wrong. I'm interested in how the far right in Germany would respond to this because it will surely cause outrage from nationalists.

How should this have really panned out? They shouldn't have changed their dress code in the school at all. If....IF the refugees were to complain and you rightly made the point they didn't and I apologise for not noticing that whilst reading it, then their concerns should be listened to but NOT imposed. That's the distinction that needs to be made.
Well that still doesn't make any sense really. Why did they feel pressured to do it? They're refugees, not citizens. They would have no say on policy in Germany. It's ridiculous that this even needed to happen. If anything, it shows how warped the thought process of the politicians and the school actually was because it suggests they're actually frightened of the response from the refugees. If you're welcoming refugees into a country but you're frightened of them, surely alarm bells sound off don't you think. It sends out the complete wrong message. It says to hell with integration. It says to hell with accepting the way others live their lives. It says its ok to ditch the way we do things which is wrong. I'm interested in how the far right in Germany would respond to this because it will surely cause outrage from nationalists.

How should this have really panned out? They shouldn't have changed their dress code in the school at all. If....IF the refugees were to complain and you rightly made the point they didn't and I apologise for not noticing that whilst reading it, then their concerns should be listened to but NOT imposed. That's the distinction that needs to be made.

You're making so many assumptions. "feeling pressured", "frightened of refugees" and then claiming these Germans are changing the way they live entirely. Again, nowhere in the article was this written. Come on, they're asking for schoolkids not to go around in miniskirts. They're not being made to wear a niqab. To me this one incident sounds like a kind gesture for the sake of integration.

Although I don't see it as necessary and personally would not have imposed any dress code, I do see why the politicians and school might have thought it'd be appropriate. Regardless, the whole article is vague and barely gives any information about how or why they came to their conclusions so don't jump around so much.

Also, just to add. I don't see anything about the duration of this rule or how imposing it actually is. It might not be as restrictive as you think and while parents are discontent, I'm curious about what the kids think.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Sykro
"Don't eyeball them", of course not, they are humans who just happened to be caught up in fighting they don't have control over, and with regards to the dressing, their cultures are different, so it might offend them, the same way it offends people if you don't give them tips in restuarants.
Being tolerant to others is what makes people great, if you can't let this slide, you might as well go back to the far right and turn into Nazis.

Also have some decency your tsr trolls, sitting in your comfortable chairs with a roof over your head, their homes are blown up, their brothers and sisters were killed and bleed to death in front of their eyes, let them rest here with a bit of comfort at least.

Humanity will always prevail. Well done Germany.

This is all much ado about nothing, but the obligation to be sensitive is not on the host, but the guest.

Of course these refugees should be treated with the same decency, hospitality, and respect afforded to everyone else. However, you can understand how some people might resent somebody presuming - as they perceive - to recommend to them to modify their practices to suit a very small minority to whom they are already extending hospitality. Emirati or Saudi Arabian women are not advised to dress in a more western manner out of respect for western guests in their country, are they? A restaurant would not prohibit its staff from accepting tips lest somebody from a culture in which tipping is frowned upon disapproves.
Really? They have been welcomed into a country to escape from the war in theirs and now they have the audacity to impose demands on a German school.

Not sure what story your reading? As far as i'm aware it is the school making the demands and the refugees are oblivious probably to the whole thing.

This sounds like a Headmaster playing politics and trying to stir up trouble, schools are really useless at this kind of thing, it's always either put their heads in the sand or extreme knee jerk reactions.
Original post by queen-bee
. Maybe if y'all make them feel welcome enough they decide to integrate

islamic communities havent decided to here, so dont hold your breath
Original post by Stephen857
They probably mean cover up to reduce the chances of being raped but they can't say that due to political correctness. Foreigners are more important to White Governments than our own White daughters.

Thats actually what it is tbh. Seems that way when you read the article. They almost said it straight up but just with alot of sugar coating.
Really? Are you actually kidding? That's ridiculous. They have been welcomed into a country to escape from the war in theirs and now they have the audacity to impose demands on a German school. That's atrocious. If I went out to the Middle East with a girlfriend and she wasn't wearing a hijab, we'd be hounded at for her not wearing. We don't make such demands on refugees when they come into Europe but they seriously have the audacity.....Look, I don't have a problem with any followers of religion. Practice what you want to practice. But don't....DON'T....try and impose your views on others when you have no footing to stand on.

Well for starters it's not them doing the imposing, it's the school doing the imposing. I'm sure that insofar as this putative caricature of the half-man half-beast Syrian refugee rapist actually exists, he would be quite happy to see girls walking around in revealing clothes.

The school is merely giving the girls advice to protect them from intimidation. It is better than having one of them harassed in the street, probably even without the refugee understanding how inappropriate it is to approach a schoolgirl. It's victim-blaming I suppose, but the school has a duty to safeguard its pupils and it has no jurisdiction over the refugees.
While it is unfortunate what happened to their country. They are in Germany at the grace of others and if they refuse to recognise this kindness and cause any trouble, they should be sent back.

Certainly isn't any low cut tops or mini-skirts in Syria right now so if they insist on living in a country bereft of those things, there is always that option.
Original post by queen-bee
Well the governments seems to be okay with it. Anyway they aren't hurting anyone so leave them be. Maybe if y'all make them feel welcome enough they decide to integrate

SO much for defending people rights to choose what they wear

If it were the other way round you'd be squealing like a pig
Original post by scrotgrot
It's victim-blaming I suppose, .

It is victim blaming it is also very racist

'Oh look they don't know how to behave so we have to cover to prevent them from raping us'
Original post by BaconandSauce
It is victim blaming it is also very racist

'Oh look they don't know how to behave so we have to cover to prevent them from raping us'

The school has a duty of care and obly has jurisdiction over its pupils so no other solution really, and not necessarily rape but harassment might be on the cards
Original post by cbreef
I think they're just trying to establish mutual respect for each others cultures.

Why should they have to?

It's not like it's some form of exchange program

and besides if this was about respecting culture the Syrians should be taught how to respect German culture not the other way round
We in Europe are going through a collective madness, or at least the authorities are.
As some several have said, while more have missed it, this has nothing to do with the ostensible justification of respecting cultures or the rest of it. That letter is a polite way of saying "the brown man is a rapist man".
Also I live in Germany and can promise you that they are at times the most spineless, PC, illogical people in Europe. All leftists have to do to silence criticism of this kind of thing is say ''Nazi'' and the Germans will head bowed meekly accept any nonsense like this.
Original post by Zürich
Also I live in Germany and can promise you that they are at times the most spineless, PC, illogical people in Europe. All leftists have to do to silence criticism of this kind of thing is say ''Nazi'' and the Germans will head bowed meekly accept any nonsense like this.

I do see things changing slowly though

over the years I've seen the attitudes change towards immigration but ordinary German folk

But then I see this across Europe as a whole.
Reply 39
Original post by eskimo_rising
Not sure what story your reading? As far as i'm aware it is the school making the demands and the refugees are oblivious probably to the whole thing.

This sounds like a Headmaster playing politics and trying to stir up trouble, schools are really useless at this kind of thing, it's always either put their heads in the sand or extreme knee jerk reactions.

this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending