Tell me about your worst driving experiences?

Watch
afsana_ac
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In advance I'm sorry if this is the wrong section I haven't been on TSR in over 3 years.

I passed my driving test 7 months ago and I found reasonably cheap insurance for my car about 2 weeks ago. I haven't been on the road since December.

So heres my story: When I first started driving I didn't want to take lessons. In fact I didn't even want to learn to drive. My mum forced me because my cousin started learning and was already 20 lessons in. Ironically I passed before she did.
Due to this it took me ages to pass my test and I passed the third time round.
By this time I was a very confident driver and I could handle almost any situation. But now I know this is because of my instructors support as she always made me feel better.

Now that I have gotten my insurance its safe to say I've become a pathetic driver. I don't know whether its nerves or generally because I'm fasting in this hot stupid weather (I can't think straight without food or water). It doesn't help that when I'm driving my mother is always talking and trying to tell me what to do. I find it irritating, confusing and annoying but every time I drive she's always gotta be in the car with me. The day after I got my insurance I drove my sister to school perfectly fine but from then on it's gone downhill. In the past 2 weeks I almost ran over someone who darted in front of my car and today my tire went over broken glass and the wheel went flat.

I really don't want to drive anymore but knowing my parents that won't happen. I want to take lessons but that would annoy my mum. The road rage in London really wrecks me. I don't like it on the road, drivers overtake me, undertake me and sometimes are generally mean. My uncle said its because I have a P plate so they pick on me.

Please don't be mean. I already feel crap.
So tell me about your worst experiences?
Liquid Harvest
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was driving around Manchester about a week ago. I was outside the city, there was a very, very confusing part of the road...I'd like to call it a roundabout, but it wasn't quite the same thing as that. I had to drive around it five or six times, I've never felt more nervous driving a car than I did on this incident. I wasn't sure whether to give way or drive, cars were joining the 'roundabout' and passing in front of me, the whole time I was in a state of anxiety and shock. Took me a good five minutes to get out of that thing...I'm not even sure what to call it, it's not even a roundabout. Most confusing experience ever.

There have been PLENTY of other shocking experiences in my time spent driving. I'm very thankful to God for protecting me and keeping me safe every day, there were too many close calls.
taikibansei
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sorry you're having bad experiences, to pass your test though you're surely capable. Hopefully the nerves pass soon!

I haven't passed yet, I've had one test and that was in fact my worst driving experience. I think I'm a pretty capable driver but they made me go through the WORST route in the entire town (double roundabouts :cry2:, country roads, and those horrible tiny country bridges that can only carry one car or they'll collapse). I got pretty nervous when I realised we were headed towards the roundabouts, let alone the rest, but I think I did okay. But then I came around one corner onto a street and there was a car parked on one side of the street, and a milk float on the other directly parallel. There weren't any cars coming so I presumed I could go between the two (the milk float was slightly ahead of the parallel car so I'd have had to full lock the wheel to get around), but I got a dangerous because I didn't steer enough to get around the milk float without crashing so the examiner had to stop the car and grab the wheel and do it himself. I was MORTIFIED, and started properly panicking; honestly it was a miracle I got home before I started crying. By this point I knew I'd failed and felt vile and anxious about it, so I kept stalling and inconveniencing other road users through it, so I got in trouble for that. The examiner was lovely, it was just a bad mixture of nerves and a bad day for driving. Can't blame the route, but I am annoyed with the milk float driver. Park somewhere else!

The worst part is I did the reverse park at the end absolutely perfectly! :cry:
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nodded off at the wheel during a driving lesson while hungover
drewBusby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Inch from being coffin bound, I stopped just before my doom and was only left with a broken scapula and gravel rash.

#winning.
afsana_ac
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by drewBusby)
Inch from being coffin bound, I stopped just before my doom and was only left with a broken scapula and gravel rash.

#winning.
How did that happen?
drewBusby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by afsana_ac)
How did that happen?
bike crash on dual carriageway
EchoTango
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Blew my savings on an E39. Spent a few hundred getting it mechanically mint with the intention to take it to 300K plus miles. Had it written off (non fault) 4 months later.
CAElite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Buy yourself a couple of refresher lessons OP, They are worth it for someone in your situation. Oh and rip the P plates off your car ESPECIALLY if you drive in a city lol.

If had a couple of close calls driving. Most recent was pretty ****ty, was driving about 80mph (usually a safe-ish speed on the road) down a NSL dual carriageway on my way home at ~11PM. There is no traffic about the entire area is dead. I round a bend to find a STATIONARY road works lorry in my lane about 100m infront of me complete with useless flashing beacons and another flashing road works lorry passing it in lane 2 doing about 20. About half a second after it coming in too view I decide I cant stop or slow down in time. Somehow i managed to get hard on the brakes, move in to lane 2 come bombing up behind the moving truck, I reached the back of the moving vehicle JUST as its back end cleared the nose of the stationary one, I somehow managed to slide the car into the gap back onto lane 1 still doing about 50 and undertake the slow moving lorry. I then come to a complete halt about 30m infront of the stationary truck complete with a rather dramatic cloud of tyre smoke floating past my car.

The moving truck comes up beside me and stops. The driver motioned to me to wind down my window and I got a bolocking. Aparently tw*ts in high vis are aloud to be near-stationary on quick NSL dual carriageway with no signage up the road. To be honest I couldnt be bothered listening to his complaining about me "nearly causing a serious accident" so I just drove off. Ive got no idea what they where doing, all the cones where gone by the next evening (when I took the corner considerably slower).
helen-a-ravenclaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mine happened quite recently!

I was driving home to my parents house, a journey that I've done several times before, is fairly simple and usually takes me 2 hours.

But last time it took me four hours! I had two separate accidents on the same road about half an hour apart. The first one didn't take too long to clear, but the second one was a nightmare! We were stopped, waiting for about half an hour before there was any movement at all.

It was starting to get dark at this point and I was about 40 minutes from home when there was a bit detour that added an extra 20 mins to my journey.

That was not fun at all >_> Driving in the dark, hoping the detour gets me back to somewhere I know after having driven for 3 1/2 hours.
mcgreevy1993
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Think my worst experiences of driving were with P plates on. People overtake you, chavs shout at you. Not fun really.

First time out on road - turned down a one way, (going wrong way) stopped, stalled but hazards on. Took me 5 minutes to get the hell out of the way. Kept stalling under nerves. Luckily the drivers I held up were very understanding. However watching traffic approach you while you're struggling to get a car moving is terrifying.

My second worst experience was not in the car, but was so much watching the car. I was working as a waitress in a resturant in the section that faced onto the car park. I watched a customer (whilst working) open his car door into mine, leaving a lovely dent on my side. Nothing I could do. I then had to serve the person. Still have the dent, customer made a complaint about ME too. Kind of ironic .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.91%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
31.51%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed