Branson reckons we would have been better off if the UK had joined the Euro

Watch
GuppyFox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/eu_r...Europeans.html

Bit of a bold claim considering this weeks turmoil with Greece, and the fact that the eurozone has been hindered greatly since the great recession.

Does Branson have good reasoning? He claims UK exports would be stronger since we export so much to the EU already. He also says we should be proud to be European, something which I also agree with (Why hate one another? Europe is amazing with all the different cultures, languages, climates, history and geography).

But personally I think it does look obvious now that we have fared better by not joining the Euro. But would have its fortunes faired better if we had been there from the start?
PenguinEmperor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would us joining the EU not have just made borrowing even cheaper because of increased stability so the pigs may have ended up borrowing even more? (I might be wrong here)
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GuppyFox)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/eu_r...Europeans.html

Bit of a bold claim considering this weeks turmoil with Greece, and the fact that the eurozone has been hindered greatly since the great recession.

Does Branson have good reasoning? He claims UK exports would be stronger since we export so much to the EU already. He also says we should be proud to be European, something which I also agree with (Why hate one another? Europe is amazing with all the different cultures, languages, climates, history and geography).

But personally I think it does look obvious now that we have fared better by not joining the Euro. But would have its fortunes fared better if we had been there from the start?
Without mutualised debt, us being in the Euro would not have changed its fortunes all that much. As to how we would have fared, probably worse than Germany but better than France/Spain/Italy.

(Original post by Penguinfarts)
Would us joining the EU not have just made borrowing even cheaper because of increased stability so the pigs may have ended up borrowing even more? (I might be wrong here)
Possible i suppose.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I see where he's coming from actually. I don't believe that we would be significantly worse off in the euro than outside.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am not at all convinced we would be better off in the Euro. It's just more EU integration that we simply don't need.
GuppyFox
Rep:
?
(Original post by RFowler)
I am not at all convinced we would be better off in the Euro. It's just more EU integration that we simply don't need.
I believe EU freedom of movement and the Eurozone are 2 different beings. Us being part of the eurozone would not have affected this.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I see where he's coming from actually. I don't believe that we would be significantly worse off in the euro than outside.
We can't control our exchange rates. What about the city?
Evening
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No we wouldn't, just look how Greece screwed everything up.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
We can't control our exchange rates. What about the city?
We'd manage.

OK, the euro arrangement probably suits Germany better because its economy benefits more from the cheap imports, but I really don't think it would make as much of a difference as people seem to think - we wouldn't become another Greece or Spain just because we shared a currency.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
We'd manage.

OK, the euro arrangement probably suits Germany better because its economy benefits more from the cheap imports, but I really don't think it would make as much of a difference as people seem to think - we wouldn't become another Greece or Spain just because we shared a currency.
So what if we wouldn't become Greece and Spain. I want us to have an exchange rate with Europe, I don't want to be part of an effectively German run currency.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
So what if we wouldn't become Greece and Spain. I want us to have an exchange rate with Europe, I don't want to be part of an effectively German run currency.
The more big economies in the Eurozone, the less influence Germany has.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Branson did not finish university and we can tell.
FullOfDreams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He would probably benefit more from it.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
Branson did not finish university and we can tell.
He's richer than you.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
He's richer than you.
Does he even lift though?
GuppyFox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Evening)
No we wouldn't, just look how Greece screwed everything up.
Greece is a special example since in my opinion they never met the credibility criteria to ever join the eurozone in the first place.

However, anyone under the euro are still restricted, so perhaps we would still have been struggling.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
Does he even lift though?
Only his wallet.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
Only his wallet.
lol
GuppyFox
Rep:
?
(Original post by FullOfDreams)
He would probably benefit more from it.
That is true, but then so won't a lot of UK businesses?
SotonianOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GuppyFox)
(Why hate one another? Europe is amazing with all the different cultures, languages, climates, history and geography).
because some people in it don't know how to manage money
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (579)
34.4%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (690)
41%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (337)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.58%

Watched Threads