The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Computer Science 2015

Hey guys, I was wondering how many of us are doing CS come September.
What is your first choice of accomodation, where are you from?
Reply 1
Hey dude, top pick was swanborough and im from basildon.
soo hyped for uni
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Hey, I'm going to be doing foundation year come September, then moving onto the full course the year after. I got my first choice, Swanborough.
Reply 3
Original post by jiahall
Hey dude, top pick was swanborough and im from basildon.
soo hyped for uni

Original post by elliotc
Hey, I'm going to be doing foundation year come September, then moving onto the full course the year after. I got my first choice, Swanborough.

I'm for CS and also in swanborough!

18B!
Reply 4
Original post by hogofwar
I'm for CS and also in swanborough!

18B!

Nice to know there'll be a few of us around :smile: I'm in 30.

Anyone doing non-standard CS (CS and Business/Multimedia/AI etc)? I'm quite sure I'd like to do Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence once I've done my foundation year.
Reply 5
Original post by elliotc
Nice to know there'll be a few of us around :smile: I'm in 30.

Anyone doing non-standard CS (CS and Business/Multimedia/AI etc)? I'm quite sure I'd like to do Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence once I've done my foundation year.

It's all a relatively standard first year (i'm nto doing foundation), you can choose if you want to switch to one of the non-standard courses for your second and third year.

I'm doing normal CS right now, but will consider switching to AI, it seems a lot more interesting.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm doing Computer Science too! :smile: I'm staying in Northfield for my accommodation.
Reply 7
Looks like im the only international student who is doing CS and is going to east sloap
Reply 8
Original post by hogofwar
Oh come on, you can't just say that without explaining.

i know right?
Reply 9
Hi,

I'm going to be studying computer science with a year in industry, 19 years old. I was wondering if everyone had accommodation sorted or if there was anyone looking through the private sector as i didnt manage to get any accommodation sorted out,
Reply 10
Original post by Sheel1
In the beginning of the year, he will teach a subject called "CLS" (Communication and Learning skills), and you will be asked to do a Learning Diary every week on what you have learnt - yah make sure you do it, otherwise you'll be doing an all nighter when it's due in. His assignments are very brief, and you WILL need to ask what he wants for a good grade.

In the second term:
Database Tests are very vague, he doesn't mark error carried forward to some people and does mark it for others. He might teach half the class the remaining parts that will come up on the test ON the same day and not the others. So check study direct -- Resources -- Database and make sure you're up to date with the learning. The test isn't hard, he will highlight syntaxs for you eg:

`create` a database called "Computer".
It will be:

CREATE database computer;

Similarly, do a `AUTO_INCREMENT` it can be

Keyboard varchar(8) AUTO_INCREMENT;

He really isn't a harsh teacher in databases as he makes it for it by making the tests easy, even if you havn't attended the entire lectures.

And then we get to the end of year project...ALL he marks is the report he will not mark you on what you have built. EG: If you built a fully working website and your report is sh!t, you will just get a sh!t mark ( I'm still pissed about that, since i built an entire security device in more than 4 languages and mashed them together and got 64% :angry:). . My tip is to do a research project and just do a report based on that.

It isn't all bad, it's a great year and well worth the 9k. You will learn SO much (more than 1st year i believe) yet space to have sooo much fun

Thanks for the heads up! Anything I should know going into the Foundation Year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending