bensmithy123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I really need to know what the best catalysts for the oxidation of ascorbic acid are. Any inhibitors knows would also be really helpful. Thanks in advance
Pigster
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What are you planning on oxidising it to? And to what?

You could try setting fire to it, in liquid oxygen. That'd certainly oxidise it.
bensmithy123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It is for a chemistry investigation where i will be studying the rate at which different catalysts perform best at decaying/oxidising the ascorbic acid. The samples will then be titrated with dcpip to find the remaoning concentration. Thanks
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pigster)
What are you planning on oxidising it to? And to what?

You could try setting fire to it, in liquid oxygen. That'd certainly oxidise it.
trololol
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bensmithy123)
I really need to know what the best catalysts for the oxidation of ascorbic acid are. Any inhibitors knows would also be really helpful. Thanks in advance
You could try transition metal ions with different oxidation states to see if they behave as charge transfer catalysts. The body uses cobalt(II), copper(II), iron(II) etc in different metabolic processes. Maybe these can act as catalysts for ascorbic acid oxidation.... who knows (not me!) ...?

Cobalt(II) certainly behaves as a catalyst for the oxidation of tartrate ions by hydrogen peroxide...
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bensmithy123)
Just go the whole hog and throw some Pd(Ac)2 in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University