The Student Room Group

The official BTEC results discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Ah, 2 people from my class are going to be doing law, from what I heard. Almost half of my class have supposedly applied to do accounting and finance (Me included lol).
Was anyone middle name on their certificates ? I'm not sure my exam board have my middle name and I'm confused on how they will be able to send my results to ucas? Will they use my first,last name and date of birth ?
I got a distinction in my first year
Original post by Emma1999_
Was anyone middle name on their certificates ? I'm not sure my exam board have my middle name and I'm confused on how they will be able to send my results to ucas? Will they use my first,last name and date of birth ?
I got a distinction in my first year

Don't worry about it. My college managed to send in my preferred name as my middle name. It's not a name I have on any legal documents. And it went through fine
Original post by Devify
Don't worry about it. My college managed to send in my preferred name as my middle name. It's not a name I have on any legal documents. And it went through fine

Really gosh someone today told me they look at your course and date of birth and thank you for your reply
Original post by Emma1999_
Really gosh someone today told me they look at your course and date of birth and thank you for your reply

It's weird because I have certificates with my preferred name as my only name, my first name or my middle name followed by surname haha. I do plan to make it my first name officially before I graduate from university.
Original post by Devify
It's weird because I have certificates with my preferred name as my only name, my first name or my middle name followed by surname haha. I do plan to make it my first name officially before I graduate from university.

That's annoying shame its inconsistent mine say my first and last name for all mine it's just that I put my middle name on ucas under forenames hopefully it will be okay. Good luck with changing your name
Guys hear me out...

I’m really worried about the outcome of my grades for my level 3 extended certificates in business, sport and IT. 2 units in each subject are coursework based (internally marked) and 2 are exam based (externally marked). I am fine with the coursework and can achieve distinction and have achieved distinction for some of the subjects. However, when it comes to the exams for the subjects I’m getting grades such as P or Near pass. I’m really trying to get DDD-DDM by the end of the year, what’s the lowest grade I could get for each unit for each subject to get a D or M in it? Someone please help... and do the exams outweigh the coursework? I just want DDD-DDM and I work hard.
(edited 5 years ago)
The grading system differs between subjects but from the amount of max points given by exam units in my course was always higher or equal to coursework units lol I went from DDD to D*D*D just coz of my high marks in exams.
I swear only idiots with no future do BTECS what a pointless qualification
Original post by username4305262
I swear only idiots with no future do BTECS what a pointless qualification

My BTEC in IT/Computing lead me to graduate with BSc and MSc degrees in Computer Science (top 30/10 unis for CS) and now a job as a Software Engineer. Hardly a "pointless qualification" and I clearly have "no future" earning a better salary than most of my friends who did A levels.
Original post by GOI983
Guys hear me out...

I’m really worried about the outcome of my grades for my level 3 extended certificates in business, sport and IT. 2 units in each subject are coursework based (internally marked) and 2 are exam based (externally marked). I am fine with the coursework and can achieve distinction and have achieved distinction for some of the subjects. However, when it comes to the exams for the subjects I’m getting grades such as P or Near pass. I’m really trying to get DDD-DDM by the end of the year, what’s the lowest grade I could get for each unit for each subject to get a D or M in it? Someone please help... and do the exams outweigh the coursework? I just want DDD-DDM and I work hard.

The exams OMG. Even with the repeats there was no improvement.
I know many who didn't get what they were expecting in the exam results, total shock, it's as if they were handed in to the wrong people.!
Not what hey were expecting at all
Original post by JDieMstr
Woah, nice. Only 2 other people in my class got D*DD and they are top students. If you don't mind me asking, what course are you going to be doing in uni?

You see, only two people in your class got very good grades, I'm hearing this a lot. Exams are hard.
Original post by MeMyselfand I
The exams OMG. Even with the repeats there was no improvement.
I know many who didn't get what they were expecting in the exam results, total shock, it's as if they were handed in to the wrong people.!
Not what hey were expecting at all

What do you study? And you going uni?
D*D*D BTEC is it really the same as AAB.... ?
Original post by MusicalGenomes

nah use the UCAS calculator to work it out.

A*A*A
Original post by yt7777
A*A*A

D* is equivalent to A* because if you check in the UCAS calculator they're both worth 56 points.
(Original post by yt7777)
A*A*A

Thanks guys, I know in terms of taffis its equivalent. But lets be honest no one is gunna choose the D*D*D* applied science over the A* Biology A* Chemistry A* Maths student, and in no disrespect to BTEC (do one my self) just think they should feed us less BS in terms of what universities see in a BTEC. Please I am more then happy to be wrong, please... please... prove me wrong xD
(Original post by yt7777)
A*A*A

Thanks guys, I know in terms of taffis its equivalent. But lets be honest no one is gunna choose the D*D*D* applied science over the A* Biology A* Chemistry A* Maths student, and in no disrespect to BTEC (do one my self) just think they should feed us less BS in terms of what universities see in a BTEC. Please I am more then happy to be wrong, please... please... prove me wrong xD

You mustn't forget everything's changed now. Btecs aren't like they were before, they now have exams. And if you look at the results you can see the exams are harder and they're not getting top marks for them, the coursework may help but it's a lot of work doing courserwork at the same time, with A levels you have all year to revise.
And I think it's just an old fashioned thing, just because they're so used to A levels they keep
Believing they're the best and nothing will change their minds, but I think it's time to wake up.

And if UCAS says it equivalent we should say so too.

Also I think A levels have better chance to get better grades because of the way it's marked, you have more ABCDEFG btecs only D*DMP

Hope that helps.
(edited 5 years ago)
D* you get A*
D. you get A
M. You get C
P. You get E

In BTec Where is the grade for B and D?
You're stuck with C if you don't get A in other words but you could be one Mark away and you quickly jump down to C.

Bit like the new GCSEs. If you get A's you have chances of getting A* -, A-,A+, B+ etc, but there's no B-, you get nothing after C.

Not forgetting new GCSEs are harder too, i
Don't see many obtaining high grades.sonthey will have to do btecs.
Just because the old fashion way hasn't changed everyone wants to do A levels) and they can't get into it because it's harder to obtain good exam result to get into A level (because harder GCSEs) theyre all chucked into btecs just because nobody wants to take them because
they haven't figured out the changes in them.

But UCAS say they're equivalent so we should start believing
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending