Excuse Me!
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
I want to do English and Creative Writing at university but due to me not taking English literature I have found the number the English and creative writing degrees I'm able to apply to limited.

Do straight English degrees involve and creative writing?
If so how much?
And which are the best I can apply to without having English literature (I do language)?
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Excuse Me!)
Hi,
I want to do English and Creative Writing at university but due to me not taking English literature I have found the number the English and creative writing degrees I'm able to apply to limited.
If so how much?
And which are the best I can apply to without having English literature (I do language)?
You need to check the course descriptions for those courses you can apply to with your A levels - it won't necessarily be obvious from the course title that you may be able to take modules in Creative Writing as part of your degree.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

If so how much?
Hello!

Great to hear that you are interested in studying English with creative writing. At the University of Reading you can study English Literature and take a Creative Writing Pathway which will include you taking modules in Creative Writing as well as Literature and means that your dissertation can be your own creative work. The grade requirements are ABB-BBB including a B in an English related subject (English Language, English Language and Literature, Drama and Theatre Studies, Creative Writing). Here is the link for more information on this course: ing.ac.uk/english-literature/Undergraduate/ell-ug-english-literature-creative.aspx

Feel free to ask any questions,
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art
corybantically
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At UEA, students taking English Literature or American Literature can opt into creative writing modules in year 1 & 2, and those scoring highly enough can take higher level modules in the third year, alongside creative writing students I'd guess that in many cases where a university has English lit or lang courses and Creative Writing courses, it would be possible for lit/lang students to take CW modules - they wouldn't be economically viable otherwise! UEA also has some creative options within certain modules, although I'm not sure whether this is common elsewhere. Have a look at the optional module slots and which departments you can pick from - it's likely you'd be able to put a CW module into one of those.
ARUStudents
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

If so how much?
Hey,

Here at Anglia Ruskin we look over your application and as long as you have a C or above in either language or literature you can be welcomed onto the courses! Writing and English Literature is our combined course of creative writing and literature. If you have neither in A-Level but demonstrate other related strengths in your application, we can ask for a piece of writing before making a decision.

Hope this helps! Take a look at our writing and literature courses for a better idea of what we can offer: https://aru.ac.uk/study/undergraduat...es-and-writing

Jen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.83%
I don't have everything I need (92)
38.17%

Watched Threads