The Student Room Group

How useful are Edinburgh's degrees for a career in Industry?

Being very interested in Artificial Intelligence, I was looking at The University of Edinburgh's informatics courses and they seem very limited in how much programming and practical work one does while studying there, given that a majority of them are 4 year courses but are only bachelor's degrees and lack a year in industry or the full accreditation. I was wondering if I would be at a major disadvantage compared to other CS graduates from other Universities.

I do really want to study Computer Science (especially AI in depths) and it seems like Edinburgh does offer that but I feel like on the surface it doesn't seem to link well to actually getting a job outside of research. AI with Software Engineering seems like my ideal course but it also has the issues I mentioned above.

Does/did anyone study one of the courses under informatics and how do you feel about your job prospects?

Thank you.
Reply 1
The university of Edinburgh is a worldwide recognised university if its excellence, and one of the best universities in the UK, so if you worry about recognition or integration in industry,you won't have this problem with Edinburgh.
Original post by rbgpwer
The university of Edinburgh is a worldwide recognised university if its excellence, and one of the best universities in the UK, so if you worry about recognition or integration in industry,you won't have this problem with Edinburgh.

Thanks for the reply, however I'm not putting too much weight on the international reputation of the University, I want to know more about the actual skills and accomplishments I will gain while I study the course and if they will prepare more for a career outside of research. I would like to do research if possible but employability is also really key.
Reply 3
The reputation of a university generally comes from some true facts. There is no reason why this university wouldn't teach you the best way available, providing you with useful skills. Also, what you will do with what the uni will provide you with, is also important. your implication in your studies is the best way to obtain skills valuable on the professional market.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending