The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
oh_sweet_surrey
nah, chinese is nothing close to Japanese. They sound totally different. Chinese ppl 'squeal' whileas Japanese ppl 'speak' articulately. (oops i hope that wasnt too racist :rolleyes: )

Japanese is easier to learn compared to Chinese, so Leekey, give it a go. :wink:

Korean is even easier to learn, but not very useful in the international market :rolleyes:

Chinese isn't even a spoken language, rather it's used to refer to a GROUP of languages which share an identical orthography. The main Chinese languages (or 'dialects' as they're sometimes misleadingly called) are as different to each other as English is to French or German. Mandarin is the most spoken Chinese language, and indeed all Chinese people speak it, if not as a first, then as a second language. Mandarin itself has several vernacular forms, ranging from those that sound like 'squealing' to those that have a harsh gutteral tone, to those that sound melodic (eg as spoken in Taiwan). The Shanghai dialect sounds more or less like spoken Japanese. Chinese languages are tonal and Japanese is syllabic - much like English, which is why i'm assuming you have the silly idea that Japanese people speak more 'articulately'. And no your post wasn't 'racist' just incredibly ignorant and narrowminded - if you knew nothing about these languages you should've simply remained schtum.

Anyway, i'd say learn Mandarin Chinese instead of Japanese - if not because China is an emerging economic power, then because Japanese is a lot more complex to learn than Mandarin Chinese.
Reply 181
Mysticmin
I squeal? :confused:

bullshit, u dunno wot ur on about 'oh_sweet_surrey' dude. ignorance........ :rolleyes:
Reply 182
Current Top 10 (points rounded off where necessary):

1. Cambridge (362)
2. Oxford (325)
3= Imperial (232)
3= LSE (232)
5. Warwick (209)
6. Bristol (143)
7. UCL (122)
8. Nottingham (99)
9. Durham (97)
10= Edinburgh (78)
10= Manchester/UMIST (78)
Reply 183
1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. Imperial
4. Warwick
5. Nottingham
6. LSE
7. Bristol
8. UCL
9. Manchester
10.Edinburgh
something like that
Reply 184
1 Cambridge
2 Oxford
3> Durham
3> St Andrews
5 Birmingham
6 Edinburgh
7 Warwick
8 Bath
9 York
10 LSE

126 Bristol
127 Plymouth
128 Imperial
Goodness me, these are the most crucial days of our lives and we are still posting like mad on uk-learning, don't you people have any shame!!!
Anyway, here are theEconomists undisputed rankings:
1:Cambridge
2:Oxford

3:LSE
=Imperial College
5:u:CL
6:Warwick
=Nottingham
8:Bristol
9:York
=Durham (although I hate to say it)
11:s-smilie:t Andrews
12:Mancheser
=Birmingham
14:Bath
15:colone:dingburgh
=KCL
theECONOMIST
Goodness me, these are the most crucial days of our lives and we are still posting like mad on uk-learning, don't you people have any shame!!!

I have no shame in my avoidance of revision... I keep myself in, intending to revise but end up not wanting to. And daytime tv isn't too thrilling either.
Reply 187
Might as well stop voting soon. The order seems pretty fixed.

1. Cambridge (391)
2. Oxford (353)
3. Imperial (248)
4. LSE (246)
5. Warwick (225)
6. Bristol (150)
7. UCL (131)
8. Nottingham (110)
9. Durham (106)
10. Edinburgh (84)
11. Manchester/UMIST (80)
12. York (73)
13. Bath (47)
14. KCL (45)
15. St Andrew's (43)
Reply 188
Squishy
Might as well stop voting soon. The order seems pretty fixed.

1. Cambridge (391)
2. Oxford (353)
3. Imperial (248)
4. LSE (246)
5. Warwick (225)
6. Bristol (150)
7. UCL (131)
8. Nottingham (110)
9. Durham (106)
10. Edinburgh (84)
11. Manchester/UMIST (80)
12. York (73)
13. Bath (47)
14. KCL (45)
15. St Andrew's (43)

dunno, theres tight battle for third between LSE and imp, and for 8th between notts and durham :wink:
Reply 189
Leeroy
dunno, theres tight battle for third between LSE and imp

Yeah, they're the only thing that stops us from having a static top 5. :wink: Oxbridge are pulling ahead of the rest, since almost everyone is voting for them in their top 2. That's why the list seems a bit dull now.
Reply 190
1 cambridge
2 oxford
3 edinburgh
4 imperial
5 ucl
6 manchester
7 bristol
8 sheffield
9 southampton
10 st anderws
Reply 191
I'm sorry but am I the only one that sees quite a strong correlation between the way most people have voted and the university that they will be attending?!? :confused:
Reply 192
Leekey
I'm sorry but am I the only one that sees quite a strong correlation between the way most people have voted and the university that they will be attending?!? :confused:

Well, there's always some bias, but I don't think everyone on this thread is off to Cambridge.
Reply 193
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Nottingham
4. Imperial
5. LSE
6. Edinburgh
7. Bath
8. York
9. UCL
10. KCL
Reply 194
Squishy
Well, there's always some bias, but I don't think everyone on this thread is off to Cambridge.

Ahh but people will attemp to justify thier opinion by including commonly accepted ideas (i.e. Oxbridge kick ass). Therefore if someone's 1,2,3 is something along the lines of Cam, Ox and KCL (for the sake of this example). I would be willing to bet a small fortune that they are heading in the vicinity of KCL (or they already attend(ed))!!! :wink:
Reply 195
Hmm, by that logic, I'm off to Imperial, which I'm not...I find it hard to guess where you went to/are going too. :smile:

Top 10:

1. Cambridge (411)
2. Oxford (371)
3. Imperial (262)
4. LSE (252)
5. Warwick (225)
6. Bristol (154)
7. UCL (139)
8. Nottingham (118)
9. Durham (106)
10. Edinburgh (97)
Reply 196
Leekey

I noticed that, some were so biased it was a pisstake, hence my post which listed only two choices. Unfortunately I think it's been ignored - obviously my opinion is less valid for not trying to disguise my bias by bothering to think of another 8 choices.
Reply 197
calumc
I noticed that, some were so biased it was a pisstake, hence my post which listed only two choices. Unfortunately I think it's been ignored - obviously my opinion is less valid for not trying to disguise my bias by bothering to think of another 8 choices.

A level of cinicism (sp?) that rivals my own....YAY!!! :smile:
Reply 198
Leekey
A level of cinicism (sp?) that rivals my own....YAY!!! :smile:

cynicism I believe :smile:
Reply 199
elpollodiablouk
cynicism I believe :smile:

I learn something new everyday, shame it's never anything useful for passing my exams :rolleyes: :smile: !!!

Latest

Trending

Trending