Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_sweet_surrey)
    nah, chinese is nothing close to Japanese. They sound totally different. Chinese ppl 'squeal' whileas Japanese ppl 'speak' articulately. (oops i hope that wasnt too racist :rolleyes: )

Japanese is easier to learn compared to Chinese, so Leekey, give it a go.

Korean is even easier to learn, but not very useful in the international market :rolleyes:
    Chinese isn't even a spoken language, rather it's used to refer to a GROUP of languages which share an identical orthography. The main Chinese languages (or 'dialects' as they're sometimes misleadingly called) are as different to each other as English is to French or German. Mandarin is the most spoken Chinese language, and indeed all Chinese people speak it, if not as a first, then as a second language. Mandarin itself has several vernacular forms, ranging from those that sound like 'squealing' to those that have a harsh gutteral tone, to those that sound melodic (eg as spoken in Taiwan). The Shanghai dialect sounds more or less like spoken Japanese. Chinese languages are tonal and Japanese is syllabic - much like English, which is why i'm assuming you have the silly idea that Japanese people speak more 'articulately'. And no your post wasn't 'racist' just incredibly ignorant and narrowminded - if you knew nothing about these languages you should've simply remained schtum.

Anyway, i'd say learn Mandarin Chinese instead of Japanese - if not because China is an emerging economic power, then because Japanese is a lot more complex to learn than Mandarin Chinese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    I squeal? :confused:
    ********, u dunno wot ur on about 'oh_sweet_surrey' dude. ignorance........ :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Current Top 10 (points rounded off where necessary):

1. Cambridge (362)
    2. Oxford (325)
    3= Imperial (232)
    3= LSE (232)
    5. Warwick (209)
    6. Bristol (143)
    7. UCL (122)
    8. Nottingham (99)
    9. Durham (97)
    10= Edinburgh (78)
    10= Manchester/UMIST (78)

ReputationRep:
    1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. Imperial
    4. Warwick
    5. Nottingham
    6. LSE
    7. Bristol
    8. UCL
    9. Manchester
    10.Edinburgh
    something like that

ReputationRep:
    1 Cambridge
    2 Oxford
    3> Durham
    3> St Andrews
    5 Birmingham
    6 Edinburgh
    7 Warwick
    8 Bath
    9 York
    10 LSE

126 Bristol
    127 Plymouth
    128 Imperial

ReputationRep:
    Goodness me, these are the most crucial days of our lives and we are still posting like mad on uk-learning, don't you people have any shame!!!
    Anyway, here are theEconomists undisputed rankings:
    1:Cambridge
    2:Oxford

3:LSE
    =Imperial College
    5CL
    6:Warwick
    =Nottingham
    8:Bristol
    9:York
    =Durham (although I hate to say it)
    11t Andrews
    12:Mancheser
    =Birmingham
    14:Bath
    15dingburgh
    =KCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theECONOMIST)
    Goodness me, these are the most crucial days of our lives and we are still posting like mad on uk-learning, don't you people have any shame!!!
    I have no shame in my avoidance of revision... I keep myself in, intending to revise but end up not wanting to. And daytime tv isn't too thrilling either.

ReputationRep:
    Might as well stop voting soon. The order seems pretty fixed.

1. Cambridge (391)
    2. Oxford (353)
    3. Imperial (248)
    4. LSE (246)
    5. Warwick (225)
    6. Bristol (150)
    7. UCL (131)
    8. Nottingham (110)
    9. Durham (106)
    10. Edinburgh (84)
    11. Manchester/UMIST (80)
    12. York (73)
    13. Bath (47)
    14. KCL (45)
    15. St Andrew's (43)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Might as well stop voting soon. The order seems pretty fixed.

1. Cambridge (391)
    2. Oxford (353)
    3. Imperial (248)
    4. LSE (246)
    5. Warwick (225)
    6. Bristol (150)
    7. UCL (131)
    8. Nottingham (110)
    9. Durham (106)
    10. Edinburgh (84)
    11. Manchester/UMIST (80)
    12. York (73)
    13. Bath (47)
    14. KCL (45)
    15. St Andrew's (43)
    dunno, theres tight battle for third between LSE and imp, and for 8th between notts and durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    dunno, theres tight battle for third between LSE and imp
    Yeah, they're the only thing that stops us from having a static top 5. Oxbridge are pulling ahead of the rest, since almost everyone is voting for them in their top 2. That's why the list seems a bit dull now.

ReputationRep:
    1 cambridge
    2 oxford
    3 edinburgh
    4 imperial
    5 ucl
    6 manchester
    7 bristol
    8 sheffield
    9 southampton
    10 st anderws

I'm sorry but am I the only one that sees quite a strong correlation between the way most people have voted and the university that they will be attending?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I'm sorry but am I the only one that sees quite a strong correlation between the way most people have voted and the university that they will be attending?!? :confused:
    Well, there's always some bias, but I don't think everyone on this thread is off to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. Nottingham
    4. Imperial
    5. LSE
    6. Edinburgh
    7. Bath
    8. York
    9. UCL
    10. KCL

(Original post by Squishy)
    Well, there's always some bias, but I don't think everyone on this thread is off to Cambridge.
    Ahh but people will attemp to justify thier opinion by including commonly accepted ideas (i.e. Oxbridge kick ass). Therefore if someone's 1,2,3 is something along the lines of Cam, Ox and KCL (for the sake of this example). I would be willing to bet a small fortune that they are heading in the vicinity of KCL (or they already attend(ed))!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, by that logic, I'm off to Imperial, which I'm not...I find it hard to guess where you went to/are going too.

Top 10:

1. Cambridge (411)
    2. Oxford (371)
    3. Imperial (262)
    4. LSE (252)
    5. Warwick (225)
    6. Bristol (154)
    7. UCL (139)
    8. Nottingham (118)
    9. Durham (106)
    10. Edinburgh (97)

ReputationRep:
    I noticed that, some were so biased it was a pisstake, hence my post which listed only two choices. Unfortunately I think it's been ignored - obviously my opinion is less valid for not trying to disguise my bias by bothering to think of another 8 choices.

(Original post by calumc)
    I noticed that, some were so biased it was a pisstake, hence my post which listed only two choices. Unfortunately I think it's been ignored - obviously my opinion is less valid for not trying to disguise my bias by bothering to think of another 8 choices.
    A level of cinicism (sp?) that rivals my own....YAY!!!

ReputationRep:
    A level of cinicism (sp?) that rivals my own....YAY!!!
    cynicism I believe

(Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    cynicism I believe
    I learn something new everyday, shame it's never anything useful for passing my exams :rolleyes: !!!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.