Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Unfortunately I think it's been ignored - obviously my opinion is less valid for not trying to disguise my bias by bothering to think of another 8 choices.
    Yeah, sorry, I only counted people who made at least 10 choices, because otherwise anyone could just come along, post the name of their university as their favourite and leave.

(Original post by Leekey)
    I learn something new everyday
    I hope you learn a bit quicker than that.

ReputationRep:
    Which university is the one that had that wierd footlights thing that Douglas Adams went to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Yeah, sorry, I only counted people who made at least 10 choices, because otherwise anyone could just come along, post the name of their university as their favourite and leave.
    That seems to be pretty much what many people are doing, with the "usuals" of Oxford, Cambridge and the London institutions thrown in somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggysqueak)
    Which university is the one that had that wierd footlights thing that Douglas Adams went to?
    Cambridge.

(Original post by calumc)
    That seems to be pretty much what many people are doing, with the "usuals" of Oxford, Cambridge and the London institutions thrown in somewhere.
    Well, they're posting the names of the famous ones, and then the ones that they know from personal experience. I guess that's all they can do to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I'm sorry but am I the only one that sees quite a strong correlation between the way most people have voted and the university that they will be attending?!? :confused:
    yeh i definitely noticed that, not only bigging them up more than they possibly should be, but also reducing (or not including?) rival universities.
    Ill leave you to spot who, but im sure theres plenty

ReputationRep:
    I think Dr. Blazed's choices were the worst:

1. Luton.
    2. TVU.
    3. Wolverhampton.
    4. Bradford.
    5. Edge Hill.
    6. Greenwich.
    7. East London.
    8. Paisley.
    9. Anglia Polytechnic.
    10. Cambridge.

I included them anyway since s/he is entitled to his/her opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I think Dr. Blazed's choices were the worst.

Incorrect, my dear fellow.

ReputationRep:
    No offence, but in what way is Luton one of Britain's leading universities.

No offence, but in what way is Luton one of Britain's leading universities.
    Normally I would go into a rant right about now but, given some of the other opinions that I have heard, I don't think anyone is in a position mock his opinion (be it made up or not)!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but we're entitled to question it as well.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps:

1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. Imperial
    4. LSE
    5. UCL
    6. Warwick
    7. KCL
    8. St. Andrew's
    9. Durham
    10. Edinburgh

Don't think that's too controversial.

ReputationRep:
    Have you done the tally yet?
    Just to give some input.....

1.Cambridge
    2.LSE
    3.Oxford
    4.Imperial College London
    5.University College London
    6.Kings College London
    7.Durham
    8.St Andrews
    9.Warwick
    10.Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    1: Cambridge
    2: Oxford
    3: UCL
    4: LSE
    5: Imperial
    6: Edinburgh
    7: York
    8: St. Andrews (I'm pretty sure there is not an apostrophe for some bizarre reason)
    9: Durham
    10: Cardiff

Gah that was depressingly conformist, oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but we're entitled to question it as well.
    And I'm entitled not to answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Perhaps:

1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. Imperial
    4. LSE
    5. UCL
    6. Warwick
    7. KCL
    8. St. Andrew's
    9. Durham
    10. Edinburgh

Don't think that's too controversial.
    I think it is controversial. Simply because member d750 is attending Camebridge. Lack of local patriotism? How does it come?
    By the way, thanks for putting St Andrews on the list. The folk tends to forget that it is one of the best Universities in the country with excellent international reputation. They only offer subjects which they are good at (Humanities mainly). This is my contribution to local patriotism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    And I'm entitled not to answer
    Yes, all this entitlement gets irritating after a while.

No big changes to the order...Oxbridge continue to pull ahead, with Cambridge inching forward slightly faster than Oxford. Also, UCL overtakes Bristol.

CURRENT TOP 10:

1. Cambridge (440)
    2. Oxford (398)
    3. Imperial (283)
    4. LSE (275)
    5. Warwick (232)
    6. UCL (159)
    7. Bristol (154)
    8. Nottingham (118)
    9. Durham (114)
    10. Edinburgh (104)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dled)
    I think it is controversial. Simply because member d750 is attending Camebridge. Lack of local patriotism? How does it come?
    By the way, thanks for putting St Andrews on the list. The folk tends to forget that it is one of the best Universities in the country with excellent international reputation. They only offer subjects which they are good at (Humanities mainly). This is my contribution to local patriotism.
    Ah yes, but I was at Oxford as an undergrad. There's no question that Oxford has a higher profile than Cambridge, and a bigger place in the public imagination, so I think it deserves top spot regardless of any slight academic inferiority it may or may not have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Ah yes, but I was at Oxford as an undergrad. There's no question that Oxford has a higher profile than Cambridge, and a bigger place in the public imagination, so I think it deserves top spot regardless of any slight academic inferiority it may or may not have.
    Not bad. And what do you think of being an undergraduate at St Andrews? Would you compare it with Oxbridge? Curious on your point of view.
    Cheers, dled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    'No question' at all eh?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dled)
    Not bad. And what do you think of being an undergraduate at St Andrews? Would you compare it with Oxbridge? Curious on your point of view.
    Cheers, dled
    Its a relatively uninformed opinion, but I would equate St. Andrew's with a university like UCL. Definitely top ten, with a claim to top five. I wouldn't really equate it with Oxbridge. Despite calling their classes tutorials, the systems aren't comparable.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.