Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    'No question' at all eh?!?
    Yup. No question at all.

ReputationRep:
    For me UCL is the top. Of course I am yealous of students at Oxbridge, but would prefer UCL. If you compare St Andrews with UCL thats good.

ReputationRep:
    9. TVU (I would study here just to see if any of the myths are true and then drop out after a month )

What myths? I live around the corner from TVU so tell all!

So you picked Liverpool in your top 10 - I'm probably going to go there this September to study Zoology, can you tell me anything about the town/uni/accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    1. LSE
    2. Nottingham
    3. Sussex
    4. Cambridge
    5. Bath
    6. Bristol
    7. Edinburgh
    8. SOAS
    9. UCL
    10. Essex

ReputationRep:
    1) Cambridge
    2) Oxford
    3) LSE
    4) Warwick
    5) UCL
    6) York
    7) Bristol
    8) Nottingham
    9) Bath
    10) St.Andrews

There you go - I don't think you can argue with Cambridge being number one. I preferred Oxford as a place than Cambridge (there was definitely, imo, more going on in Ox than Cam) but if you're honest, you all know that Cambridge has every right to be number 1 in terms of overall academic excellence, reputation, prestige etc.

(Original post by foowise)
    Cambridge has every right to be number 1 in terms of overall academic excellence, reputation, prestige etc.
    None of which were what the poll was about but nobody else seems to get that so I'll shut up.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    btw I think this should be a sticky

(Original post by historyhoney)
    btw I think this should be a sticky
    lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    1. Oxford
    2. Cambrdge
    3. LSE
    4. Nottingham
    5. KCL
    6. Edinburgh
    7. Warwick
    8. Durham
    9. Manchester (post merger)
    10.Imperial

ReputationRep:
    my list

1) cambridge (i dont theres any point separating oxbridge anymore)
    = oxford
    3) lse
    4) warwick
    5) bath
    6) bristol
    7) exeter
    8) southampton
    9) nottingham
    10) ucl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    my list

1) cambridge (i dont theres any point separating oxbridge anymore)
    = oxford
    But there are some significant differences in terms of ethos and even in terms of reputation / recognition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    But there are some significant differences in terms of ethos and even in terms of reputation / recognition.
    yes, but talking generally i think they possibly have the same amount of departments and colleges that are recognised as better - e.g economics in cambridge and maths in oxford. so i think on a table you should put them as equal first as you can only differentiate them when you look specifically at subject areas

ReputationRep:
    My top ten universities (the ones that I would consider going to) are :
    1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. Nottingham
    4. UCL
    5. Durham
    6. Warwick
    7. Manchester
    8. LSE
    9. Bristol
    10. Leeds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    i think they possibly have the same amount of departments and colleges that are recognised as better - e.g economics in cambridge and maths in oxford.
    What? Cambridge has the better departments for both of those subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Heres my thoughts

1.Cambridge
    (An absolutely beautiful place where the ppl seem down to earth, kind and just the whole town has a magic atmosphere)
    2.UCL
    (Beautiful law department, great mix of academic excellence and fun. Ppl are helpful kind and humble)
    3.LSE
    (Great location, tho the small range of subjects and vast amount of internationals and post grads make the place quite segregated (tho tbh does also vary on individual)
    4.Oxford
    (When i attended the open day the place to me seemed prosaic
    cold and also the law faculty building was grey and old fashioned, also the ppl seemed to think very highly of themselves)
    5. Nottingham
    (Great reputation, dislike the fact that the law department is integrated in the same building as the other social sciences. Ppl are kind and friendly)
    6.Durham
    7.Warwick
    8.Bath
    9.Imperial
    10.KCL

Nb. Where comments have been made, these are not merely assertions as I have actually been to these places, in some cases on many occassions. Apart from 6 and below as I only put them in to make up numbers as I only really have a top 5.

ReputationRep:
    1.Cambridge
    2.Oxford
    3.LSE
    4.Imperial
    5.Warwick
    6.UCL
    7.Kings
    8.Nottigham
    9.Durham
    10.Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    1. LSE
    2. Nottingham
    3. Sussex
    4. Cambridge
    5. Bath
    6. Bristol
    7. Edinburgh
    8. SOAS
    9. UCL
    10. Essex
    :confused:

but as people have mentioned, everyone has a right to their own opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wings)
    Heres my thoughts
    2.UCL
    (Beautiful law department, great mix of academic excellence and fun. Ppl are helpful kind and humble)
    "Humble"?!? Have you been over to the UCL message board (on the UCL website)?!? Especially the law bit. I've never heard such a bunch of arrogant, stuck-up pricks with ideas way, way above they're station. They remind me why I was right to reject UCL!

And yes, I do know that not every law student at UCL is like that, but I have a feeling they'll be the most prominent ones.

ReputationRep:
    See this advice on choosing unis from a letter in the Telegraph.

I share your scepticism about the usefulness of league tables in choosing a university and, as an alternative, would suggest the following three-step process for a sensible applicant to follow.

One, identify the universities with entrance requirements that match the grades you realistically expect. (It is a mistake to apply to institutions that ask for less than you can offer, because you will be bored by the remedial teaching.)

Two, sort by the location you want - out of town/city centre, north/south, etc.

Three, read the subject handbook for an account of the department's teaching and assessment methods, and search the internet for the names of the faculty to see what they do and how well regarded they are.

Sound advice from Prof Alan Ryan, Warden of New College, Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    1. oxford
    2. cambridge
    3. lse
    4. imperial
    5. soas
    6. ucl
    7. warwick
    8. edinburgh
    9. bristol
    10. kings/st andrews/nottingham/york, can't decide

by the way, oxford, cambridge, lse and soas were the only four unis not to have to go into clearing this year (although soas did apparently belatedly announce one vacancy in south asian studies, which they still haven't cleared off their website).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.